A while ago, pain screams were added when hitting soldiers. Now, the screams are only heard when standing <3m from target. It'd be nice if those are fixed to be heard over longer distances again.

Will create a ticket.

A while ago, pain screams were added when hitting soldiers. Now, the screams are only heard when standing <3m from target. It'd be nice if those are fixed to be heard over longer distances again.

Will create a ticket.

I remember that for a time they were trying something new with the animation system, where the soldiers would have a much more dramatic reaction to getting shot, before snapping back into the "firing" position. Whatever happened to that?

I remember that for a time they were trying something new with the animation system, where the soldiers would have a much more dramatic reaction to getting shot, before snapping back into the "firing" position. Whatever happened to that?

No Audio related question!

No Audio related question!

Ask in Gerneral Discuss Dev.

On an Audio related note... When are the arming of charges and mines beeping going to be removed? It's painstakingly unrealistic and gives away your position like a map marker telling the enemy exactly where you are. Please, BIS, the beeps must go.

I noticed that there is no PCML rocket explosion sound or it's too quite compared to rocket launch sound.

So, when are the volume changes going to be made? Gun shots are so loud that, in order not sound PAINFUL to my ears, I have to turn down the volume so much that I can't hear neither enviroment nor footstep sounds. Same thing with weapon tails. I can't hear them like, at all, due to the crazy weapon loudness.

I appreciate the new gun samples that are in the dev branch, I really do, but maybe you guys should consider fixing what's broken first? Just a thought.

Edited by FrankHH

Or you could realize dev branch is for experimenting and trying new stuff, and you could go back to stable branch and complain there when the sound volumes are not balanced properly yet?

Or you could realize dev branch is for experimenting and trying new stuff, and you could go back to stable branch and complain there when the sound volumes are not balanced properly yet?

Or you could realize that:

1. I'm not whining, I'm merely providing my thoughts;

2. the volume levels have been fucked up since 1.42 stable, and we are now at 1.44, which leads to point 3;

3. I'm worried that this might be another patch without the balanced volume, so this means I'll have to play even more without being able to hear freaking footsteps (and other things).

Jesus, some of you guys are so sensitive.

Added: New sounds for 35mm autocannon (Cheetah, Tigris)

Well, it's still kind of underwhelming but anything is an improvement over the dreadful old sound (actually it kind of sounds like the old one with a load of reverb added). However one of the variants is much louder than the other.

the commander turret on the strider (?) sometimes only plays the servo sound from the right and then at some point switches to stereo but louder on the left

So, when are the volume changes going to be made? Gun shots are so loud that, in order not sound PAINFUL to my ears, I have to turn down the volume so much that I can't hear neither enviroment nor footstep sounds. Same thing with weapon tails. I can't hear them like, at all, due to the crazy weapon loudness.

I appreciate the new gun samples that are in the dev branch, I really do, but maybe you guys should consider fixing what's broken first? Just a thought.

Well, I disagree that this is broken. High dynamic range of audio is something that was desired by quite a lot of people here; now that it's here, of course, someone is bound to be unhappy :P

Personally when external noise is an issue I just use "dynamic range" feature in my soundcard, so that it adjusts the volume to hear wind and footsteps when it's quiet and tones it all down when shots are fired - just the way it's actually supposed to be.

Well, I disagree that this is broken. High dynamic range of audio is something that was desired by quite a lot of people here; now that it's here, of course, someone is bound to be unhappy :P

Personally when external noise is an issue I just use "dynamic range" feature in my soundcard, so that it adjusts the volume to hear wind and footsteps when it's quiet and tones it all down when shots are fired - just the way it's actually supposed to be.

Lol, you have no idea what true dynamic range is. If you think that simply cranking some sounds on absurdly high volume means HDR, you couldn't be more wrong. High dynamic range is not here by any strech of the imagination.

Lol, you have no idea what true dynamic range is. If you think that simply cranking some sounds on absurdly high volume means HDR, you couldn't be more wrong. High dynamic range is not here by any strech of the imagination.

Lol, you don't have any idea what a discussion is. If you think you can make your point simply by trying to appear smartass, you can't be more wrong here. Your post does not contain any sense by any stretch of imagination. See what I did here?

Now, please tell me how extending sounds' volume range does not add to dynamic range.

Lol, you don't have any idea what a discussion is. If you think you can make your point simply by trying to appear smartass, you can't be more wrong here. Your post does not contain any sense by any stretch of imagination. See what I did here?

Now, please tell me how extending sounds' volume range does not add to dynamic range.

Where is megagoth when you need him... duh.

Range != dynamic range. Watch this.

Edited by FrankHH

When is megagoth when you need him... duh.

Range != dynamic range. Watch this.

You are confusing range with volume.

You are confusing range with volume.

Actually, no. Volume and range is connected. What happens in the utube-clip is that the volume of the sample is increased, and then the playback volume is decreased. This results in compressed range.

Anyway... This discussion is off topic. This thread is for giving feedback to the devs. This isn't feedback. It's just two persons arguing about something...

Megagoth is actually playing some awesome games (which sound great too) like GTA V and the witcher 3 during every free minute he has and has no nerve to participate in discussions where people spend more than 3 words telling someone to be wrong instead of stating to have a different opinion based on cold facts and hope for the other party to agree once they see the facts. A lot of misunderstandings happen here. I am sure we all want the same but discussing it in a forum is rather difficult. :(

Ever since my visit to BIS I've become much,much calmer about the whole audio thing. I wished everyone could have been there. Playing other games helps too.

But at topic-"Dynamic range" is no excuse for unbalanced volumes,simply from a game design standpoint. What we have in game right now is not "dynamic range", its a very bad volume mix full of workarounds and hacks "just to make it work somehow". Weapon sounds for a certain dlc were done in ONE day. Resources were very limited. The game is poorly mixed,the audio lead knows it and in some time (game development takes forever) things will be much much better. There might also be some mighty awesome solution for dynamic range,allowing every player to set his own. But for now all we have is patience, my friends. :)

I am off, hunting monsters in Velen. Man,witcher 3 is awesome.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Megagoth is actually playing some awesome games (which sound great too) like GTA V and the witcher 3 during every free minute he has and has no nerve to participate in discussions where people spend more than 3 words telling someone to be wrong instead of stating to have a different opinion based on cold facts and hope for the other party to agree once they see the facts. A lot of misunderstandings happen here. I am sure we all want the same but discussing it in a forum is rather difficult. :(

Ever since my visit to BIS I've become much,much calmer about the whole audio thing. I wished everyone could have been there. Playing other games helps too.

But at topic-"Dynamic range" is no excuse for unbalanced volumes,simply from a game design standpoint. What we have in game right now is not "dynamic range", its a very bad volume mix full of workarounds and hacks "just to make it work somehow". Weapon sounds for a certain dlc were done in ONE day. Resources were very limited. The game is poorly mixed,the audio lead knows it and in some time (game development takes forever) things will be much much better. There might also be some mighty awesome solution for dynamic range,allowing every player to set his own. But for now all we have is patience, my friends. :)

I am off, hunting monsters in Velen. Man,witcher 3 is awesome.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks for coming in, mega. The reason why I told him he was wrong in such a bitchy way was because I too, am tired of participating in internet discussions (not all related to audio, heh) where people do nothing else than ASSUME ASSUME ASSUME and express opinions based on the wrong ideas.

"You are confusing range with volume". Fukken lol.

Enjoy TW3, man. And Yennefer too

Problem with the Sonic Crack sample. When i fire and hear the crack, i whip my head to the other direction. Guess what, the sound stays where i heard it, in the lest ear for example. This is going to have a negative effect. If i'm listening to a sound happening, and i move around, i would like to still hear where it's coming from. If it started left, and i move left, i shouldn't stay in my left ear, in other words. Needs a fix.

While your tweaking the audio stuff could we finally get some love for the thunder/lightning strike sounds too?

Still nowhere near like they should be..

While your tweaking the audio stuff could we finally get some love for the thunder/lightning strike sounds too?

Still nowhere near like they should be..

You might not have noticed this and it might sound weird, but erm... You do realize the thunder effects are ripped right out of a real recording... Right? In fact, the rain is still in there. You can hear it as the sound fades out. So pretty much, it's exactly how thunder sounds IRL. There are a million ways thunder can sound. Literally too many, it never ever sounds the same, and to some extent, I agree there should be more of a variation of thunder sounds.

Thanks for coming in, mega. The reason why I told him he was wrong in such a bitchy way was because I too, am tired of participating in internet discussions (not all related to audio, heh) where people do nothing else than ASSUME ASSUME ASSUME and express opinions based on the wrong ideas.

"You are confusing range with volume". Fukken lol.

Enjoy TW3, man. And Yennefer too

"There are two kind of opinions: mine and wrong", yeah yeah.

"There are two kind of opinions: mine and wrong", yeah yeah.

But your opinion is, in fact, based on wrong assumptions. What we have is not dynamic range.

You said it yourself that you had to activate a volume equalizer, in order to have enjoyable sounds.

But your opinion is, in fact, based on wrong assumptions. What we have is not dynamic range.

Really? It's a freaking definition.

Dynamic range, abbreviated DR or DNR,[1] is the ratio between the largest and smallest possible values of a changeable quantity

=> range between the quietest sound (grass/wind) and loudest (gunshot). You asked for dynamic range - here it is.

You said it yourself that you had to activate a volume equalizer, in order to have enjoyable sounds.

See, you didn't even read my post.

Personally when external noise is an issue I just use "dynamic range" feature in my soundcard

As for your initial statement, gunshots are f***ing crazy loud in real life, compared to grass noise and footsteps - 150db vs 40db, which is 90db => 1'000'000'000 times difference in sound pressure, and shots do damage hearing. You can't ask for realistic sounds and ask for shots to not be painful in one sentence.

There are bound to be compromises. One is DRC I mentioned above, other is reducing overall sounds range - i.e. making footsteps almost as loud as shots. But both options are bad in something.

Edited by DarkWanderer

Guys, there is a PM feature. Stop spamming this thread with something that is clearly not audio-feedback related. Take a step back from the argument and look for things that we all have in common here

Can we all agree that the volume differences in the sounds are too much to be a pleasurable experience? In my opinion if you have to use "volume equalizers" to get a nice experience every time you play, consistently, then the audio team did not do a very good job. But this was by no means a "yep, this is how we're oing to do it and stick to it" solution. Some of the config values are as old as Operation Flashpoint. The audio lead knows it and it will be changed. There are more ressources now.

"It's true that audio in Arma was underestimated for many years. It’s not a long time (comment by Megagoth - literally just a few months...) ago that the Arma 3 project refocused / restructured its development, and reinforced the audio team. [...] However, it's fair to say that the manpower we have is still very limited - mainly the programmer part of work - but we are constantly growing, so hopefully new features, fixes and updates will be released with much higher frequency!"

He believes dynamic range is great but only to a certain degree because if you turn it up too high people will get ear & equipment damage and this is NOT needed to get a "i'm in the shit" feeling. There is a long road ahead of the audio team but they will do great stuff guys, patience. :)