You were not forced to update. If you don't want auto-updates you should disable them.

The new weapon sounds are sadly not as great as I'd hoped for sure, there is no power behind the weapons it seems which is a little depressing. I haven't played with them much except shooting off a few rounds in the open so time will tell with some of the other points you have made. I think "awful" is being a little kind tbh.

Regarding the sounds I was excited to get my hands on the new Marksmen MGs yesterday.

I must say that I was a bit disappointed, as I had expected a bit more punch. The sound itself is ok IMO, but it's a bit flat and had too less bass (I have a good headset).

Thus I agree with AusCleaver.

Can't say much about the whole concept at this moment though. :)

EDIT some days later:

All in all the sound is far better than before, IMO.

Edited by Undeceived

I don't agree with OP, I absolutely love the new sound features (which are also still WIP, as RiE wrote in the audio discussion thread over in the DEV forum). If you don't like specific samples, wait for sound mods, they will undoubtedly provide Hollywood bang.

Will explosion sounds be revisited? They sound quite bland compared to gunfire. Also at least TRG might have audio issue, if I recall correctly the sound plays only trough right speaker.

Guys you have to pack your feedback a bit better so that it is useful to the devs

Some sounds (footsteps, gear sounds) are less audible in the First Person mode then in 3-rd person. And radio messages are really quiet now.

Bad feedback. With feedback like this always tell which version, stable 1.42 or Dev branch. Are radio messages quieter overall for you or is there a differentiation between 1st and 3rd person?

Will explosion sounds be revisited? They sound quite bland compared to gunfire. Also at least TRG might have audio issue, if I recall correctly the sound plays only trough right speaker.

Which version of the game? What is your speaker setup & windows setting? Stereo or 5.1? A video showing the"one speaker problem" would be good here.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Most of the sounds are much improved, but alot of them still aren't great. For example the MX is still pretty terrible, (at a short distance it sounds like a stapler or something) which is disappointing since it is one of the 'main' guns. The distance filtering is still a work in progress, so I would expect it to improve in the near future.

Bad feedback. With feedback like this always tell which version, stable 1.42 or Dev branch.
Both.
Are radio messages quieter overall for you or is there a differentiation between 1st and 3rd person?
Overall.

Can anyone else hear a annoying "Wuf" "Wuf" sounds from the right chanel?

Weapon Deployment Sound is more audible from the left channel.

Edited by Danil-ch

Anyone noticed some strange *pop* sound in the end of tail samples? e.g. MAR-10, mk200. Also Navid in burst mode doesn't have interior tail. Stable version.

The "pop" sounds simulates the shot's echo

The "pop" sounds simulates the shot's echo

0:03, 0:08, 0:15, 0:21, 0:36, 0:46

You were not forced to update. If you don't want auto-updates you should disable them.

Can you enlighten me how to disable Steam from not updating Arma3 please, I cannot and thought this was forced on everyone a few moths ago?

Cheers,

Mick. :)

Can you enlighten me how to disable Steam from not updating Arma3 please, I cannot and thought this was forced on everyone a few moths ago?

Cheers,

Right click arma 3 in your library >> properties >> updates. You can do this for any Steam game, it was never forced.

Right click arma 3 in your library >> properties >> updates. You can do this for any Steam game, it was never forced.

I did try this just now but it cannot be changed, I also remember this getting changed to always allow updates a few mths ago. Could you please double check to see if you can change your settings plse, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

@IHUNTER

This is indeed strange. sounds like the same pattern as the previous shots. like there want to be sounds played that not present/dummy/whatever

@Danil

This "wuff" thing on the right channel is called "stereo effect".

Gun in right hand also means the audio information reaching your right is is different than the information reaching your left ear...

I also think the deploy sound is stereo switched (L->R and R->L). BI needs to change.

Edited by audiocustoms

I did try this just now but it cannot be changed, I also remember this getting changed to always allow updates a few mths ago. Could you please double check to see if you can change your settings plse, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Correct. They have changed the 3 options to "Always keep up to date", "Only update this game when I launch it" and "High Priority for Updates".

Why they (Valve/Steam) removed the option to prevent updating is beyond me...

Both.

Overall.

Can anyone else hear a annoying "Wuf" "Wuf" sounds from the right chanel?

Yes, I see how this can be annoying but this kind of sound can happen in real life as well. I guess it's a matter of taste. I for example would not like this in my sounds if it's too noticeable.

Weapon Deployment Sound is more audible from the left channel.

Uff, this is just bad. If there had to be any panning it should be a tad bit on the right, but this is too extreme. Are you running stereo mode in windows?

Yes, I see how this can be annoying but this kind of sound can happen in real life as well. I guess it's a matter of taste. I for example would not like this in my sounds if it's too noticeable.

The sound itself is not what annoy me, but the fact that it always come from the right. I haven't noticed anything similar on any other weapon.

Are you running stereo mode in windows?

I've got 7.1 headphones, but i usually play in stereo mode.

Is it just me, or does your own gun sound miles louder than any other sound in the game? Even if a person fires the same weapon from 1m away from you, it'll sound nowhere near as frightening. 50 meters away sounds a bit scarier than BB gun.

Is it just me, or does your own gun sound miles louder than any other sound in the game? Even if a person fires the same weapon from 1m away from you, it'll sound nowhere near as frightening. 50 meters away sounds a bit scarier than BB gun.

Same experience here. Also - sonic cracks are louder than the actual shot. AI is shooting at you from 100 is way too silent.

The sound itself is not what annoy me, but the fact that it always come from the right. I haven't noticed anything similar on any other weapon.

I've got 7.1 headphones, but i usually play in stereo mode.

Got it. That can be really annoying. Especially if there is nothing in the world that "explains" why there is any reverb coming from the right, like a wall or something.

Basic stuff that BIs is missing here. :-/ But they were under pressure so I get it.

I produced a video explaining the "pop" at the end of certain sounds.

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

I looked at the configs and for example the MX had it's volume INCREASED by 10 decibels! That's more than twice the volume! And it instantly runs into the arma3 limiter and distorts sound. Oh boy, I could rant forever. But why was this done?

A few days ago it was reported, that weapons sound too quiet over distance. This is because BI changed volume envelopes, how quiet stuff becomes over distance basically. They created a much more agressive curve, stuff becomes quieter waay to much.

So I assume instead of re-doing the volume fall off curve they just did a dirty hack - they just INCREASED the volume of everything so that the stuff in the distance would not be as silent. And since the arma3 limiter limits everything at 0dB the first person sound would not be thaaat much louder.

But as you noticed - it does not work at all like that. First person is overkill and stuff in the distance does not sound convincing.

Yep yep yep... They are struggeling with sound heh.

Same experience here. Also - sonic cracks are louder than the actual shot. AI is shooting at you from 100 is way too silent.

The volume of sonic cracks has been increased in the configs. But it runs into the limiter and if there is a sonic crack happening near you the distant shot will be turned down in volume. Basically what they do currently - instead of turning sounds down and creating a properly mixed sound stage they just raise volumes of things they think are too queit. This is a destructive approach.

Edited by megagoth1702

Got it. That can be really annoying. Especially if there is nothing in the world that "explains" why there is any reverb coming from the right, like a wall or something.

Basic stuff that BIs is missing here. :-/ But they were under pressure so I get it.

I produced a video explaining the "pop" at the end of certain sounds.

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

I looked at the configs and for example the MX had it's volume INCREASED by 10 decibels! That's more than twice the volume! And it instantly runs into the arma3 limiter and distorts sound. Oh boy, I could rant forever. But why was this done?

A few days ago it was reported, that weapons sound too quiet over distance. This is because BI changed volume envelopes, how quiet stuff becomes over distance basically. They created a much more agressive curve, stuff becomes quieter waay to much.

So I assume instead of re-doing the volume fall off curve they just did a dirty hack - they just INCREASED the volume of everything so that the stuff in the distance would not be as silent. And since the arma3 limiter limits everything at 0dB the first person sound would not be thaaat much louder.

But as you noticed - it does not work at all like that. First person is overkill and stuff in the distance does not sound convincing.

Yep yep yep... They are struggeling with sound heh.

They should employ you to do their sounds, unlike some people around these parts you know what you're talking about.

They should employ you to do their sounds, unlike some people around these parts you know what you're talking about.

Really appreciate the support. If that's how you feel spam them with PMs and twitter messages. I got nothing to do until oktober 2015. I will start studying sound design here in Berlin and will have zero time for arma. (Probably will still do something but real life comes first.) The devs also know what they are doing I am sure of that. But I fail to understand some of the stuff they do.

I might come across as a person that is not pleasurable to work with, because I rant so much on these forums. But it's about getting attention here and I am passionate about sound. Always willing to learn new stuff but not accepting basic mistakes just like that.

Edited by megagoth1702

I know this is a dev specific thread but the 1.42 stable audio is all over the place in terms of levels.

I feel like they wanted to mass drop the volume on everything (which is good!) but they managed to add volume to the first person perspective rather than scale it back with everything else.

If I run my in-game audio at 50-70% now it sounds pretty decent, till I fire and I'm completely deaf. It's basically a trade off between hearing the enemy shoot at you but going deaf when firing or hearing nothing at all. This seems most noticeable with vehicles, couldn't even pin point an IFV mid fight fire even though it was less than 100m away as I couldn't hear it firing.

Edit: I don't want this to be taken too negatively, I'm a huge fan of the sound improvements in general!

Edited by Cyruz