Added: Sound: Attenuation of exterior sounds while inside structures (heavily WIP)

Has anyone tested this out yet? Not around my PC yet. This sounds like it'd be awesome.

Has anyone tested this out yet? Not around my PC yet. This sounds like it'd be awesome.

Just tested it out- I don't notice much difference between the sound inside and outside when a firefight is happening. Tested this in the editor in Pyrgos- running in and out of buildings as a civilian while a firefight occurred in the streets.

More excited that a real isIndoors function may emerge out of this but things are progressing exceedingly nicely neverTheLess

tested just now, can notice difference in the echo transitioning from inside a house to outside. this with a proper indoor shooting sound will make for noice things.

I wonder if this new indoors feature can properly distinguish between open and closed structures...

I wonder if this new indoors feature can properly distinguish between open and closed structures...

from what I tested as of now on the (heavily wip) no.

Just to clarify - it's not the echo/weapons tail that is supposed to change, it's the sounds that are OUTSIDE, like vehicles, effects, gunfire. And in my test I did not hear any difference on Stratis. I had a tank roll around 50m away from me and I entered multiple buildings, closed doors etc. Sound did not change.

So maybe I was testing the wrong way or the feature only works in certain buildings for certain sounds. WIP is WIP, it's a great feauture though!

Edited by megagoth1702

Guys - it's not the echo/weapons tail that is supposed to change, it's the sounds that are OUTSIDE, like vehicles, effects, gunfire. And in my test I did not hear any difference on Stratis. I had a tank roll around 50m away from me and I entered multiple buildings, closed doors etc. Sound did not change.

So maybe I was testing the wrong way or the feature only works in certain buildings for certain sounds. WIP is WIP, it's a great feauture though!

ahhh I see. will test some so you don't think you are alone. tho you most likely are in , being in some basement held captive.

"Attenuation of exterior sounds while inside structures (heavily WIP) "

So that implies the attenuation is determined by proximity (?) of buildings, right? And not that the solid objects between the player and the sound source will affect attenuation? Which would be what I've been hoping for ages now. I.e. we could tell if the shooter has a line of sight to us or is he behind a building shooting at someone else.

And to be honest, I couldn't hear any difference between indoors and outdoors. :confused:

I hope you'll add more samples for those sonic cracks. The current one doesn't sound good at all alone. Need more of a scarier and "louder" one like the old one (if I remember right the sound because that's how I've heard those cracks IRL).

I hope you'll add more samples for those sonic cracks. The current one doesn't sound good at all alone. Need more of a scarier and "louder" one like the old one (if I remember right the sound because that's how I've heard those cracks IRL).

Agreed.Listening to BF4 or B4 Hardline, those bullet cracks sounds nice.

Similar to this ones https://soundcloud.com/therecordist/ultimate-bullet-hd-pro

This is because BF4 sound fx are from therecordist, at least many of them... But always keep in mind: dou you want to play a military simulation based on real sounds or some "High FX Overdosed Michael Bay Bulls*it"? The sounds from therecordist are real sounds, indeed. But they are also highly processed to fit the needs of Bay&Co but not audiophile guys who like the experience of a real gunfight and not sitting in a cinema watching Transformers...

This is because BF4 sound fx are from therecordist, at least many of them... But always keep in mind: dou you want to play a military simulation based on real sounds or some "High FX Overdosed Michael Bay Bulls*it"? The sounds from therecordist are real sounds, indeed. But they are also highly processed to fit the needs of Bay&Co but not audiophile guys who like the experience of a real gunfight and not sitting in a cinema watching Transformers...

As always as close to real life as possible.I don't want you to assume that I like high FX overdose Michael Bay samples.

Does anybody know how the dynamics in A3 work? Is there a posibillity to get those informations visible?

Infos like what the limiter / compressor is doing? An output of it's values like threshold, ratio and so on... You get my idea...

Or is there any other info out there? I could't find any on the BIKI.

If you care about audio at all, WATCH THIS VIDEO, even if it's 11min long! It will CLEARLY SHOW you that the vanilla game is mixed too loud and that setting proper volume levels for content make sense. Also sneaky marketing for my mod. ;)

Edited by megagoth1702

I fully agree with other people on here, playing on dev branch and having AI shoot over my head, the sonic cracks just sound muffled, not snappy or cracky. Aside from the sonic cracks, and weapon sounds that are being overhauled combined with the geographical location of the shots fired. It becomes more and more obvious that the current explosion sounds are out of date.

People at reddit made a post with a video concerning audio files from explosives, The video's title is: Tonsturm 13, Massive Explosions

It'd be amazing if some of these really crisp audiofiles could make it in arma in the nearby future.

If you care about audio at all, WATCH THIS VIDEO, even if it's 11min long! It will CLEARLY SHOW you that the vanilla game is mixed too loud and that setting proper volume levels for content make sense.

That's an amazing video, and cleary shows what I've already experienced. Turning down the game's volumes makes it sound better. I hope the devs get to see that.

People at reddit made a post with a video concerning audio files from explosives, The video's title is: Tonsturm 13, Massive Explosions

It'd be amazing if some of these really crisp audiofiles could make it in arma in the nearby future.

The "crispness" is only there because there is barely any background noise (such as battle, vehicles etc) and the trailer is very well mixed and the explosion effects in the video are EDITED, their RAW counterparts do not sound as exiting. Showing again that sound DESIGN is very important, not just the source material. Also to do this in arma the whole game needs a volume-rebalance so that the explosions can stand out better(what I am trying to do in my mod, see video above.) Actually decent fireworks explosions are also enough for good sound effects. Anyway, BIS's explosions are outdated, as you said.

That's an amazing video, and cleary shows what I've already experienced. Turning down the game's volumes makes it sound better. I hope the devs get to see that.

Thank you for the kind words. Spread the wisdom. Education is free these days. And people need to be educated. And the devs SHOULD see that, because it's THEIR thread.:j:

If you care about audio at all, WATCH THIS VIDEO, even if it's 11min long! It will CLEARLY SHOW you that the vanilla game is mixed too loud and that setting proper volume levels for content make sense. Also sneaky marketing for my mod. ;)

Beautiful!

+1.

How a shot fired its almost the same as a jet sound during take-off or arty fire, it is necessary to revisit the sound amplitudes.

The current 3D cracks are missing a big sense of effect like that. Reverb is missing, as of now, the positional is good, but the overall getting shot at feeling is odd. Doesn't quite sound there yet. I suppose it's still WIP but it still needs to be a bit harsher, like the snaps at the end, with reverb.

I agree.It's missing and echo (reverb), missing the snaps (high pitched)

Could you increase the target locking sound inside the vehicles? If the vehicle is moving it's almost impossible to hear that.

Could you increase the target locking sound inside the vehicles? If the vehicle is moving it's almost impossible to hear that.

WRONG.

What needs to happen is DECRASE vehicle volume. Currently the vehicle volume completely maxes out the audio stream and leaves no room for other sounds to come through. Watch my video on the previous page.

The issue is not "X is too quiet, make X louder", but rather "everything is too loud, I can't hear X!".