Or rather the other way around - stop the loudness war and lower the volume of full auto to the single shot volume.

I can not test this right now but I think it's either a typo or the tails overlapping too much.

I agree. Single mode sounds properly, and there's probably something wrong with full auto. It's been like that with the MX since the tails were introduced.

Question: What do the developers use to set volume levels? I am currently re-mixing the volume levels and while for humans and environment it's rather easy - vehicles are a whole different story ... It's simply an unbelievable amount of configs & lines. I can not imagine the DEVs go through the lines one by one. Surely some automation or special tool us being used to write the configs.

I am thinking to head over to stackoverflow.com to hire me a semi-amateur programmer to code a tool for me, because the pattern of the configs is rather repetitive (sound, volume, distance etc) but I am sure BI can help us out here maybe?

I imagine a system like this:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=23224 This ticket could help.

I am currently learning audio implementation in audio engines and the XAudio2 is on my list since arma does not use any middleware such as FMOD. I hope I will get some more insight on how stuff works in-depth.

---------- Post added at 04:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 AM ----------

Last time I checked the DEV branch on the 15.03.2015 the three new bullet supersonic crack settings showed this value for frequency:

((speed factor [330, 700]) * 0.2) + 1.4. speed FACTOR creates a value between 0 and 1, based on the min and max value of 330 and 700. If a bullet speed is 700 speed FACTOR will be 1, if the speed is 330 the factor will be 0, if the speed is 515 the factor will be 0.5. And obviously all the values inbetween. This is a VERY clever system BI, I love it. I don't know how realistic it is since I never recorded bullet cracks and the speeds of the bullets but this will create some MUCH NEEDED diversity in the bullet crack sound - awesome! A tiny randomizer multiplied with 0.02 or so would not hurt as well!

There is a problem:

With a fast bullet you get 1*0.2 + 1.4 = 1.6

And with a slow bullet 0*0.2+1.4 = 1.4

Frequency always stays positive and sounds higher pitched than the source file. I actually like the "raw" sonic crack source sounds, the high pitched one sound rather weird. Would it not make better sense to add a value at the end that would allow some fluctuating around the 1 mark? I don't know the average speed of projectiles in arma but for example's sake let's say the average speeds are around 515m/s, the middle of 330 and 700 and that creates a factor of 0.5. So the frequency should be 1 at this point.

0.5*0.2 + 0.9 = 1

A speed of 330 would result in: 0*0.2+0.9 = 0.9

A speed of 770 would result in: 1*0.2+0.9 = 1.1

I have not tested this, but I might. This is my final suggestion for the formula: ((speed factor [330, 700]) * 0.18) + (randomizer*0.02) + 0.9

This would result in numbers between 1.1 and 0.9. It is the same range (0.2) as the default formula and since randomizer works REALLY rarely any bullet crack will sound like the previous one.

Edited by megagoth1702

The arma3 limiter is a good thing but it shows even more that the general volume levels should be re-designed at some point. The limiter prevents clippng & distortion but it ruins dynamics in the process. Making something louder while preserving dynamics now has to happen on sample-level instead of config level. Or we can just lower everything else. :)

Latest oprep revealed behind the scenes designing and cencepting weapons from Design lead.While Oprep about

latest sound design would be great, It would be even better if someone would nudge Dušek to answer few questions

here.

First of all, though, we'd like to thank to everyone for their splendid feedback over the last few weeks, months, and years! Recently, we've set up new workflows with a bigger emphasis upon your feedback, because what makes sound great is the listener who appreciates it! We've been browsing around every corner where people who love Arma games were constructively commenting upon our soundscape, suggesting new features, reporting bugs or describing new solutions, and we've found many great ideas that could improve or enhance your audio experience.

Also, we must admit that - compared to other departments - the audio team hasn't been quite so responsive and communicative. We want to improve that, and try to be much more synchronized with players.

The arma3 limiter is a good thing but it shows even more that the general volume levels should be re-designed at some point. The limiter prevents clippng & distortion but it ruins dynamics in the process. Making something louder while preserving dynamics now has to happen on sample-level instead of config level. Or we can just lower everything else. :)

That sound at 4:00 would be a really nice tail for a grenade...

That sound at 4:00 would be a really nice tail for a grenade...

It already is, in my sound mod. ;)

Edited by megagoth1702

It already is. ;)

Wait really? I mean i know it's like, the fall off of the Audio Sample, but i mean last time i threw a grenade, the tail didn't sound like it was environmental, it sounds the same since Alpha actually.

Wait really? I mean i know it's like, the fall off of the Audio Sample, but i mean last time i threw a grenade, the tail didn't sound like it was environmental, it sounds the same since Alpha actually.

Sorry, I should have said:"It already is - in my sound mod."

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Sorry, I should have said:"It already is - in my sound mod."

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

ahhhhhhhh, ok i see. Guess i gotta check that out now. =D

Tweaked: Silencer shot tails changed from prototype samples to final samples and other small changes

Ever since that change I don't have Silencer tail sounds anymore. Am I the only one ?

I think that the Rahim, and the Mar-10 need a change in sound to match it's caliber. Fire the Mk-18, and the MK-1, and you can tell, given they're the same round as the Rahim, but the Rahim doesn't sound convincing. The Mar-10 sounds like some kind of heavy Metallic locking system of some sort, and this is without the suppressor. I've heard .338, and well... The Mar-10 doesn't sound convincing. Thoughts?

I've tested the new version a few times now.. for some reason it was a lot harder for me to trace where the shots are coming from by the sound. also the clicking sound from close bypassing shots was really confusing.

I've tested the new version a few times now.. for some reason it was a lot harder for me to trace where the shots are coming from by the sound. also the clicking sound from close bypassing shots was really confusing.

Not on your own tobi. Was testing out the new Mp game mode on Dev branch. In a town got separated in an encounter, then couldn't tell which direction the firefight was happening.

I really like what you done with the soundengine BI! This more dynamic approach, I believe, is really the way to go and the positional bulletcracks really add to immersion and put me inside the game more. Thank you for this BI!

And while many weapons have been changed to the better, I strongly feel they lack the proper punch of a firearm, especially at a bit of range. I think you should really listen to what megagoth has got to say about that :)

Anyway, this all is a huge step in the right direction!

1_zpsu1hkiwrg.png

3_zpsbqfkhbii.png

2_zpsc0pmlik3.png

4_zpslw05wvya.png

5_zpsrodw28kb.png

6_zpskjr5msny.png

7_zpss0hqkpiy.png

8_zpshhlphfit.png

Few pictures out of new video about marksmen dlc dev blog.

What are headphones on pics #four?

Beyerdynamic DT 770

Sweet, thank you.

By the way are there any news on overhauling the distant explosion sounds? Also the grenades need some love.

I would love to see a game finally give a more realistic approach to a firefight.

By the way are there any news on overhauling the distant explosion sounds? Also the grenades need some love.

I would love to see a game finally give a more realistic approach to a firefight.

I second and third this. The more realistic it at least sounds, the better. Not only that, but if every vehicle had it's own ambient rain sound like the helicopters do, that'd be a whole ton of immersion. Also a few things need to be tweaked, like the distance filter, i think it sounds great, a great step in the right direction but... idk, it feels like there's something else that needs to be done with distance. 3D Tails, i mentioned that, i mentioned Mar-10 sound needs tweak, and... Can't think of what else right now...

But from what i've seen so far, from the Diary, i am very, very excited for what's to come, and i can see the awesome hard work and passion that's going into this core addition to Arma 3. Honestly, a little... Too, excited.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

May i ask what mic where used to record the sounds? I can see a Shure Beta57a and a Shure SM58. I'm wondering why you used dynamic mics for close micing and not condenser mics like Neumann KM 184 or Sennheiser E 914?

Shure beta 57a frequency response:

shure_beta57a_2.gif

Neumann KM 184 frequency response:

1091.png

As you can see the Shure Beta57a is lacking frequencies above 16kHz. And imo these are important frequencies...

May i ask what mic where used to record the sounds?

We had two Rode NTG4 shotgun on the left and right, multiple Zoom H4N (and a H3 I think)... dont know the other dynamics there.

For my personal library I used a crappy smartphone cam :P

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

Added: Sound: Attenuation of exterior sounds while inside structures (heavily WIP)

Wohoo, it is getting better and better!