Hi,

1st/3rd person samples differentiation is possible only for the vehicles and their loop sounds by using camPos controller in the volume calculation. There is also new playerPos controller which returns int according to the player's position within the vehicle.

Currently there is no engine support for doing similar thing within the weapons (shooting). Anyway, this feature is very closely linked to your second question, the possibility to define distance-based samples for shooting (or for the same event generally).

It's true, it was under consideration for a long time. But simulation of distance shooting sound is more complicated issue than simple ballance between close shooting samples and the tail samples (resp. crossfading close/distant samples). "The tail" in reality is generated by the environment, which could be so variable. Forest, town, hills, or the interior - all that produces different tails to the basic close-range shooting sound. Yes, I am pointing to different feature which is missing in the game, which would change the overall sound experience. Talking about shooting, it would generate different sound basically for each shot. Using virtually positioned stereo samples with wet/dry parameter of environmental effects based on distance in combination with eq could work much better than simple distant samples.

Yeah, that last part got me really curious.. Is a more dynamic approach like that something you're actually considering? Atleast, it seems logical in an open world game like arma. Simply put, imo it would be awesome! But would it really be necessary to generate a new sound for each shot? Same general position and direction - same sound. Would probably save you alot of resources. Even if it's something you'll never get to do, it's still exciting that you're thinking of it :)

Question:

Is it possible to have multiple samples assigned to "bulletCrackNear" for a SINGLE type of ammo?

Like this:

crackNear1[] = {"MegasSound\Addons\Mega_SonicCracks\1",0.7943282,1,40};

crackNear2[] = {"MegasSound\Addons\Mega_SonicCracks\1",0.7943282,1,40};

crackNear3[] = {"MegasSound\Addons\Mega_SonicCracks\1",0.7943282,1,40};

supersonicCrackNear[] = {"crackNear1",0.33,"crackNear2",0.33,"crackNear3",0.33};

can u please change the vehicle crash sounds? every vehicle with wheels sounds like glass breaking

So the other day, I landed an M-900 the other day, and got out. One side of my headphones slipped off, and I noticed that when I face a certain direction, the helicopter can't be heard. This leaves me to believe that something as loud as a helicopter has literally no sound being scattered, except that coming from the vehicle directly. I can assume, this is with all vehicles. I can't recall if this is the same with Arma 2, but it's pretty bad. This may have been mentioned but I'm not sure.

So the other day, I landed an M-900 the other day, and got out. One side of my headphones slipped off, and I noticed that when I face a certain direction, the helicopter can't be heard. This leaves me to believe that something as loud as a helicopter has literally no sound being scattered, except that coming from the vehicle directly. I can assume, this is with all vehicles. I can't recall if this is the same with Arma 2, but it's pretty bad. This may have been mentioned but I'm not sure.

Maybe it has something to do with your audio setup? Back in the alpha days, when 5.1 still worked, I noticed that when I'm using a certain presets on my receiver, I couldn't hear a helicopter (for example) when it was right behind my back.

By the way. In latest OPREP there was an info that we should wait for an OPREP from sound department. Can't wait =).

Wait, 5.1 doesn't work anymore?

I'm getting a new soundcard, for positional audio cues mostly (SBX). I know EAX stuff is already out of the question for A3, but is this going to not even give me any of the positional cues either now?

Wait, 5.1 doesn't work anymore?

I'm getting a new soundcard, for positional audio cues mostly (SBX). I know EAX stuff is already out of the question for A3, but is this going to not even give me any of the positional cues either now?

5.1 surround works for me, unless it was broken in a very recent patch. If 5.1 only worked in the alpha for MAXZY, I don't know what his issue is.

It works now, but during early alpha I guess there was a sound technology from Arma 2 - it had 5.1 and sound occlusion, but then I guess they ditched it for something new. Occlusion gone as a proper 5.1 for some time. 5.1 now works pretty good, but no occlusion sadly.

Good to hear, but still. Sound engine is saddening.

distortion while driving straight and level? Or distortion while turning?

If it's the later its not a problem with the sound itself, its a resultant problem of the workaround for the physx problem, and the bugged controll scheme that causes stuttering in controlls therefore stuttering in gears, therefore stuttering in sound.

(and yes i will mention this stuff as long as it is not fixed over and over again because they are the most servere vehicle problems that exist)

Edited by Fennek

distortion while driving straight and level? Or distortion while turning?

If it's the later its not a problem with the sound itself, its a resultant problem of the workaround for the physx problem, and the bugged controll scheme that causes stuttering in controlls therefore stuttering in gears, therefore stuttering in sound.

(and yes i will mention this stuff as long as it is not fixed over and over again because they are the most servere vehicle problems that exist)

Yep, keep mentioning it. I agree with you 100%. Over a year since release and little is ever done to improve vehicles. Arma2's vehicle physics is still far superior (especially tracked).

But this sound distortion is actual sound crackling/clipping/sample problem. from what I can see, it only appears in 3rd person mode and it can be briefly stopped by switching to internal view and back to external view.

Another one the add to the list:

The current sound impimentation means footsteps are louder in 3rd person view than in first person view.

Another one the add to the list:

The current sound impimentation means footsteps are louder in 3rd person view than in first person view.

Can't reproduce this issue.

Can't reproduce this issue.

Apply a test tone to footsteps, switch view.

Also since the few last patches it feels to me like the mids have gone from the sound engine, loosing that "full" feeling. That could be a throwback from my headset, that much is possible as my audio setup uses dolby live from an ASUS Xonar STX II to a Tritton AXPro + 5.1 headset. Thing is on every other game I ever play the sound is absolutly crisp and beautiful.

Ammo fly sounds are being overridden mulitple times, hence why we have virtually no fly sounds for launched weapons, For example:

Launcher

class missiles_Zephyr: MissileLauncher
   {
       displayName = "Zephyr";
       minRange = 50;
       minRangeProbab = 0.6;
       midRange = 2000;
       midRangeProbab = 0.9;
       maxRange = 4000;
       maxRangeProbab = 0.1;
       reloadTime = 1;
       sounds[] = {"StandardSound"};
       lockingTargetSound[] = {"\A3\Sounds_F\weapons\Rockets\locked_1",0.316228,1};
       lockedTargetSound[] = {"\A3\Sounds_F\weapons\Rockets\locked_3",0.316228,2.5};
       class StandardSound
       {
           begin1[] = {"A3\Sounds_F\weapons\Rockets\titan_1",2.51189,1,1100};
           soundBegin[] = {"begin1",1};
           weaponSoundEffect = "DefaultRifle";
       };
[color=#ff0000]        soundFly[] = {"A3\Sounds_F\weapons\Rockets\rocket_fly_1",0.562341,1.1,700};[/color] <-- what is it doing here?
       magazines[] = {"4Rnd_GAA_missiles"};
       aiRateOfFire = 5;
       aiRateOfFireDistance = 4000;
       weaponLockDelay = 3;
       textureType = "semi";
   };

Magazine

class 4Rnd_GAA_missiles: VehicleMagazine
   {
       scope = 2;
       displayName = "Zephyr";
       displayNameShort = "AA LRange";
       count = 4;
       ammo = "M_Zephyr";
       initSpeed = 40;
       maxLeadSpeed = 320;
       sound[] = {"A3\Sounds_F\weapons\Rockets\titan_2",1.25893,1,1000};
       weaponSoundEffect = "DefaultRifle";
       [color=#ff0000]soundFly[] = {"A3\Sounds_F\weapons\Rockets\rocket_fly_2",0.501187,1.3,400};[/color] <-- what is it doing here?
       soundHit[] = {"",1.25893,1,1};
       reloadSound[] = {"",0.000316228,1,20};
       nameSound = "missiles";
   };

Ammo

class M_Zephyr: M_Titan_AA
   {                                                                                            
       proxyShape = "\A3\Weapons_F\Ammo\Missile_AA_02_F.p3d";
       model = "\A3\Weapons_F\Ammo\Missile_AA_02_fly_F.p3d";
       airFriction = 0.078;
       sideAirFriction = 0.18;
       maneuvrability = 24;
       class CamShakeFire
       {
           power = "(80^0.25)";
           duration = "((round (80^0.5))*0.2 max 0.2)";
           frequency = 20;
           distance = "((80^0.5)*8)";
       };
       class CamShakePlayerFire
       {
           power = 4;
           duration = 0.1;
           frequency = 20;
           distance = 1;
       };
   };

No "SoundFly" on projectile where it should be.

The projectile is the object that should have the sound attached to it because it is the object that is moving.

When a modder creates a sound patch for this weapon, if he follows the config as written, then adds the sound fly to the ammo correctly, he wont get any sound because the weapon's parameter for soundfly will cancel out the ammo soundfly because of the double definition.

Edited by Bigpickle

Sound definitions from BI always have been a mess. Faulty definitions in the different root cfgs or definitions forgotten..

I had done an extensive review for A2CO and published the findings in the CIT, but of course these were ignored. :)

Its very sad, and quite frustraing. Its taken me up until yesterday to fathom why none of my fly sounds ever worked apart from on bullets.

I also found this below:

Supersonic cracks are only on base classes ie BulletBase, MissileBase, RocketBase and GrenadeBase. No config listings for indiviual ammo types so nothing can have different sonic cracks, e.g. every bullet has the same close and the same far crack.

If a modder tried to add soniccracks via a config like in arma1/2/OFP they just will not work.

supersonicCrackNear[] = {"A3\Sounds_F\weapons\Explosion\supersonic_crack_close",0.398107,1,20};
supersonicCrackFar[] = {"A3\Sounds_F\weapons\Explosion\supersonic_crack_50meters",0.316228,1,50};

Oh yeah and the soniccracks on bases (other than bullets) to my knowledge dont work anyway!

Edited by Bigpickle

EDIT: Holy shit, I misunderstood! You say there are no sonic cracks BESIDES the bulletCore ones?

Hidden my embarassing post. :p

Pickle, it's very well possible to have different cracks for different ammo. Here is my SonicCracks.cfg:

class cfgAmmo
{
class BulletCore;
class BulletBase: BulletCore
{
	supersonicCrackNear[] = {"MegasSound\Addons\Mega_SonicCracks\65Close",0.38,1,40};//0.35481337
	supersonicCrackFar[] = {"MegasSound\Addons\Mega_SonicCracks\65Far",0.5,1,150};//0.2818383
};
class B_556x45_Ball: BulletBase
{
	supersonicCrackNear[] = {"MegasSound\Addons\Mega_SonicCracks\556Close",0.38,1,40};//0.35481337
	supersonicCrackFar[] = {"MegasSound\Addons\Mega_SonicCracks\556Far",0.5,1,150};//0.2818383
};
class B_56x15_dual: BulletBase
{
	supersonicCrackNear[] = {"MegasSound\Addons\Mega_SonicCracks\556Close",0.38,1,40};//0.35481337
	supersonicCrackFar[] = {"MegasSound\Addons\Mega_SonicCracks\556Far",0.5,1,150};//0.2818383
};
class B_65x39_Caseless: BulletBase
{
	supersonicCrackNear[] = {"MegasSound\Addons\Mega_SonicCracks\65Close",0.38,1,40};//0.35481337
	supersonicCrackFar[] = {"MegasSound\Addons\Mega_SonicCracks\65Far",0.5,1,150};//0.2818383
};
class B_762x51_Ball: BulletBase
{
	supersonicCrackNear[] = {"MegasSound\Addons\Mega_SonicCracks\762Close",0.38,1,40};//0.35481337
	supersonicCrackFar[] = {"MegasSound\Addons\Mega_SonicCracks\762Far",0.5,1,150};//0.2818383
};

But hold on - fly sounds? You can actually have FLY sounds? So I could have a bullet play the rickRoll tune while it flys by me and IN ADDITION to that there will be a sonic crack?

So the FLY sounds actually WORK? I never touched them because, as Kji said, a lot is broken in the configs and I only use what I know works. :D

;2846013']Sound definitions from BI always have been a mess. Faulty definitions in the different root cfgs or definitions forgotten..

I had done an extensive review for A2CO and published the findings in the CIT' date=' but of course these were ignored. :)[/quote']

Link to CIT?

Edited by megagoth1702

supersonicCrack should work in all bullet classes, but only there - not other type of ammo.

soundFly[] only works in in cfgAmmo AFAIK. However if it works at all in A3/arma is another question.

Personally I would add clear distinct dummy sounds in a test class for ammo, magazine and weapon to identify if/what works.

Like a spoken word or character.

CIT: https://dev.withsix.com/projects/cis/activity

Filter for type config or sound.

If I remember correctly bullets had flysounds in the Alpha or Beta of Arma 3, at least APC bullets had them. I remember that I was following a bullet with the editor-camera. It played a soundloop that repeated itself again and again,

Hey, so I got a SBZ card installed finally.

While the positional sound is working just fine regarding XY coordinates, there is no Z taken into account, nor head tilt. So when I look dead on at something, it makes the same sound as if I'm looking straight at the ground.

Thought I was supposed to hear some tonal shift or whatever.

While the positional sound is working just fine regarding XY coordinates, there is no Z taken into account, nor head tilt. So when I look dead on at something, it makes the same sound as if I'm looking straight at the ground.

Any game that has that (above/below sound effects) would have to have it as part of the sound engine (not actual new output channels), so your new audio card wouldn't make a difference. I don't think there is currently any spec that actually has dedicated channels for that.

This was only really used back in the soundBlaster days. There used to be a direct interface between the game sound engine and sound card. Not these days. There is no way for the sound card's processor to know where the sound sources are located. You're happy when you get a properly mixed 5.1 audio stream. Gotta live with it I guess.