Sounds of equipment that are heard when you moving are pinned on gun.

See this:

The list include only missing sounds. What you describe is a bug, not a missing sound.

As long as the sound exists, it doesn't belong in this list.

---------- Post added at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

Variable, windmill sounds are also missing.

Right, adding. Did you mean wind turbines?

List of missing sounds (rolling list):

Infantry

• Rifle and pistol lowering, lifting
  • Going into boresight view.
  • Turning on and off rifle flashlight/IR pointer
  • Turning on GPS
  • Sounds of turning on and off NVGs - for god's sake, Zeus even has one!
  • Sound of falling bodies.
  • Screams when getting hit
  • No sound during parachuting (wind, parachute fabric)
  • No sound for turning (volume should grow louder according to turn speed)
  • Sound for closing and opening metal hatches on guard posts.
  • Sound from sprint to prone

Ammunition

• Sound for falling 233mm rockets

Armour, Aircraft and Vehicles

• Sounds for tank turret hydraulics (which were there since and OFP and disappeared in Arma 3)
  • Sounds for switching on and off view modes in weapon sights
  • Sounds for switching between optics modes and zoom levels in gunner and commander sights
  • No sound for entering and exiting tanks, vehicles and aircrafts
  • Sound for knocked down trees
  • Sound for squashed bushes
  • Sound for impacting humans
  • Sound for impacting walls
  • Sound for impacting rocks
  • Sound for moving tank tracks and their friction with the ground (there's only the engine sound).
  • Turning headlights on and off
  • Splash sound when wheels impact a waterline (it was in OFP)
  • No impact sound when sitting in a vehicle that is hit. There should be different sounds for different calibers and those should change according to the type of armor the vehicle has, or lack of.
  • Sound for movement of fixed MG/GMG
  • No sound for turning in and out (hatch open/close)
  • No voice notification of events during the flight. e.g.: Low fuel, Over G, Altitude, Pull up, low speed etc.

Multiple missing sounds in the engine: http://pastebin.com/sREL3aFY - thanks kju

Objects

• Sound for wind turbines

List of missing effects (rolling list):

• Sound occlusion [WIP]
  • Speed of sound simulation for vehicles and aircraft

@ Variable

Why are you not talking the latest list I have provided?

;2830421']@ Variable

Why are you not talking the latest list I have provided?

Sorry' date=' I missed that. Updating list.

List of missing sounds (rolling list):

Infantry

• Rifle and pistol lowering, lifting
  • Going into boresight view.
  • Turning on and off rifle flashlight/IR pointer
  • Turning on GPS
  • Sounds of turning on and off NVGs - for god's sake, Zeus even has one!
  • Sound of falling bodies.
  • Screams when getting hit
  • No sound during parachuting (wind, parachute fabric)
  • No sound for turning (volume should grow louder according to turn speed)
  • Sound for closing and opening metal hatches on guard posts.
  • Sound from sprint to prone

Ammunition

• Sound for falling 233mm rockets

Armour, Aircraft and Vehicles

• Sounds for tank turret hydraulics (which were there since and OFP and disappeared in Arma 3)
  • Sounds for switching on and off view modes in weapon sights
  • Sounds for switching between optics modes and zoom levels in gunner and commander sights
  • No sound for entering and exiting tanks, vehicles and aircrafts
  • Sound for knocked down trees
  • Sound for squashed bushes
  • Sound for impacting humans
  • Sound for impacting walls
  • Sound for impacting rocks
  • Sound for moving tank tracks and their friction with the ground (there's only the engine sound).
  • Turning headlights on and off
  • Splash sound when wheels impact a waterline (it was in OFP)
  • No impact sound when sitting in a vehicle that is hit. There should be different sounds for different calibers and those should change according to the type of armor the vehicle has, or lack of.
  • Sound for movement of fixed MG/GMG
  • No sound for turning in and out (hatch open/close)
  • No voice notification of events during the flight. e.g.: Low fuel, Over G, Altitude, Pull up, low speed etc.

Multiple missing sounds in the engine: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=9513 - thanks kju

Objects

• Sound for wind turbines

List of missing effects (rolling list):

• Sound occlusion [WIP]
  • Speed of sound simulation for vehicles and aircraft

I have some questions.

1. Is there a way to differentiate between 1st person and 3rd person WITHOUT EXTERNAL SCRIPTING? Could we get a way to do that in the future please? It would be great to be able to define sounds to be played when camera is in FIRST PERSON and other sounds for THIRD PERSON. There is already a "camera" variable in the engine, why not extend it?

2. Could we get a way to define multiple sounds for multiple distances per weapon? I am thinking about the vehicle model here - using ramps. Like this:

zmK5nOq.gif

If there is going to be a noise for NVGS it should be very faint. In reality the noise of NVGS being turned on makes is only noticeable if your in a quiet environment, trying to listen for the noise.

If there is going to be a noise for NVGS it should be very faint. In reality the noise of NVGS being turned on makes is only noticeable if your in a quiet environment, trying to listen for the noise.

As discussed before in this thread - there's no argument about that. There should be some gentle audio indication mainly meant to replace the lack of tactile feedback you have in real life. No Splinter Cell capacitor charging up shit.

Noticed something yesterday when testing multiplayer on one of Dwardens RC test servers.

I think it is a problem with unbalanced attenuation.

There was a firefight between two guys and I listened to it from a distance.

One guy had the Rahim and the other had the TRG.

The problem was that the Rahim was much louder, which in my opinion it should not be.

If i recall correctly, they are properly balanced when you are right next to them, so it's not a volume issue, it must be about attenuation. I guess they have very different values in the configs, although I did not check.

Noticed something yesterday when testing multiplayer on one of Dwardens RC test servers.

I think it is a problem with unbalanced attenuation.

There was a firefight between two guys and I listened to it from a distance.

One guy had the Rahim and the other had the TRG.

The problem was that the Rahim was much louder, which in my opinion it should not be.

If i recall correctly, they are properly balanced when you are right next to them, so it's not a volume issue, it must be about attenuation. I guess they have very different values in the configs, although I did not check.

ArmA uses a limitier in order to prevent clipping.

Meaning pretty much no matter how loud you define a sound in the config, it will be limited.

Only as you move away the samples will be able to "unfold" their actual "loudness".

Technical stuff.

Oh, right. I forgot about that. So what you are saying is that it could be a volume issue after all? Makes sense.

And now that I think about it, individual weapons do not have data for attenuation in their configs, do they?

When does the limiter limit sound?

Looking at configs one might think that "1" is the maximum volume. But why are there samples played with volume over 1? Like grenade impacts. Sure, it's nice to have them a bit louder than rifles BUT does that not automatically run into the limiter?

What I am saying is - if playing a sample at more than "1" volume, will it instantly get limited and therefore be quieter than imagined?

1 would mean the volume is like it's recorded. And it wasnt recorded at limit volume (because that would be horrible).

Recording volume is not equal in-game used sample volume.

If you look at the BIS samples, most of them are at the max volume, the volume configuration is done inside configs.

So I wonder again - is it percentage? Is it linear? Logarithmic? Doing some tests right now to figure out.

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 AM ----------

It is in percentage. I did some testing. Assigned a weapon sound which is a sine curve, tested values from 1 to 0.1, works fine, values come out in dB as expected, SWEET! :)

http://www.redwirez.com/pcalc.jsp

Nice. Very nice. :) This allows me to pre-mix stuff in the mixer and then take over the values into the configs, nice nice nice. :)

---------- Post added at 03:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 AM ----------

Take a look at this please.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=21899

probably, this is because of ingame limiter was added, to prevent ingame audio to clip over 0db, if i'm not wrong.

That's the point, the limiter still allows samples to clip (= get distorted).

That's the point, the limiter still allows samples to clip (= get distorted).

Yep, even when they do not exceed maximum volume.

Question:

1. Is it possible to set the volume value in the config in dB? If the engine converts into dB anyway, why not be able to set it in the config? Kind of like this:

begin1[] = {"x\addons\stuff\gun",-3dB,1,2000};

Could we get a way please to set GLOBAL VOLUME levels for different sound categories? Like envorinment, vehicles, weapons, ammo?

Kind of like this:

cfgAmmo { globalVolumeFactor = 0.7079; };

Will multiply all volumes defined in cfgAmmo with 0.7079, giving modders (and the delevopers) the possibility to do rough volume balancing without having to go through every single config.

Edited by megagoth1702

Could we get a way please to set GLOBAL VOLUME levels for different sound categories? Like envorinment, vehicles, weapons, ammo?

Kind of like this:

cfgAmmo { globalVolumeFactor = 0.7079; };

Will multiply all volumes defined in cfgAmmo with 0.7079, giving modders (and the delevopers) the possibility to do rough volume balancing without having to go through every single config.

Yes, pleeeease!

Question.

1. Is there ANY DOWNSIDE to using .ogg files for weapons, explosions etc? Are there any playback problems, delays, other issues?

2. Is it true that in A3 alpha all weapons were using ogg and WSS only got intruduced recently? If yes, why WSS over ogg? And why not just WAV to begin with?

I think there is a slight delay when using OGG for usual stuff like gun or explosions - ogg is better for music or voice over

also A3 Alpha had WAVs for all sounds then it was converted to WSS

OGG is just a container format. The most common codec in ogg containers are Vorbis. It's a great codec for archiving sound with lossy compression, but it's not so great in situations where you need "realtime" access to those sounds because the decoding will have a significant delay.

There are alternatives though. Opus and Speex are open source lossy compression techniques that are designed for "realtime" communication, and thus have a very short delay. Opus is about ten times faster than Vorbis.

I think there is a slight delay when using OGG for usual stuff like gun or explosions - ogg is better for music or voice over

Thanks for the reply. I need to know for sure though. I would love a developer on this.

>I think there is a slight delay when using OGG for usual stuff like gun or explosions - ogg is better for music or voice over

this may or may not be true. until recently ALL sound in arma3 was ogg only. there was no wss (or wav)

it may be, that due to delays, they've re-introduced wss for (some) weapons.

but, the most appealing reason to stick to ogg is bis can't do anything to break it as they have done with wss with the recent 'fixes' to wss stereo compression.

Hi,

1st/3rd person samples differentiation is possible only for the vehicles and their loop sounds by using camPos controller in the volume calculation. There is also new playerPos controller which returns int according to the player's position within the vehicle.

Currently there is no engine support for doing similar thing within the weapons (shooting). Anyway, this feature is very closely linked to your second question, the possibility to define distance-based samples for shooting (or for the same event generally).

It's true, it was under consideration for a long time. But simulation of distance shooting sound is more complicated issue than simple ballance between close shooting samples and the tail samples (resp. crossfading close/distant samples). "The tail" in reality is generated by the environment, which could be so variable. Forest, town, hills, or the interior - all that produces different tails to the basic close-range shooting sound. Yes, I am pointing to different feature which is missing in the game, which would change the overall sound experience. Talking about shooting, it would generate different sound basically for each shot. Using virtually positioned stereo samples with wet/dry parameter of environmental effects based on distance in combination with eq could work much better than simple distant samples.

Thanks for the reply doosh.

That dynamic reverb thing would be great, sure. And sure, different tails would be nice. But given how BASIC the arma3 sound environment is at the moment a simple "close/distant" crossfade would be lovely. :) But of course, if you are suggesting that you guys are indeed working on some kind of dynamic tail solution I am all up for it!

What about OGG vs WAV and WSS?

Thanks.

Hi,

1st/3rd person samples differentiation is possible only for the vehicles and their loop sounds by using camPos controller in the volume calculation. There is also new playerPos controller which returns int according to the player's position within the vehicle.

Currently there is no engine support for doing similar thing within the weapons (shooting). Anyway, this feature is very closely linked to your second question, the possibility to define distance-based samples for shooting (or for the same event generally).

It's true, it was under consideration for a long time. But simulation of distance shooting sound is more complicated issue than simple ballance between close shooting samples and the tail samples (resp. crossfading close/distant samples). "The tail" in reality is generated by the environment, which could be so variable. Forest, town, hills, or the interior - all that produces different tails to the basic close-range shooting sound. Yes, I am pointing to different feature which is missing in the game, which would change the overall sound experience. Talking about shooting, it would generate different sound basically for each shot. Using virtually positioned stereo samples with wet/dry parameter of environmental effects based on distance in combination with eq could work much better than simple distant samples.

Glad to hear that you're at least aware of the huge influence of the environment when shooting a gun. That's what I try to simulate with my ES as good as possible.

As for me, I'd be more than glad and happy about any kind of improvment related to reverb sounds.

So.... is stuff like this planned or do I get hyped for no reason? :D

PLEASE tell me. <3