It just sounds extremely cheap with the current stereo samples. Same for weapon sounds. Turn your head left and right and fire the weapon, the sound will stay in your head and the echo sample will always come from the same direction too.

And when you are in a real car and turn your head, the sounds will change too and won't stay the same. You may not be able to hear where the engine sound is comming from, but you will hear different sounds from different directions, or at least slight changes.

The sound immersion in Arma 3 is just not as good as Arma 2...

In my opinion, most of the things in Arma 3 are not as good as Arma 2, but that's another topic.

And here comes a big dirty BUT =) But it is like that in real life

I can agree with that to an extent. The sound travels through the chassi of the vehicle and kind of surrounds you. I think the best compromise would be to use a combination of the current system and using mono sound samples in 3D space for certain sounds. I think DCS does that, but that's just a guess from my own subjective experience. DCS: Mi-8MTV2 sounds awesome by the way :)

I can agree with that to an extent. The sound travels through the chassi of the vehicle and kind of surrounds you. I think the best compromise would be to use a combination of the current system and using mono sound samples in 3D space for certain sounds. I think DCS does that, but that's just a guess from my own subjective experience. DCS: Mi-8MTV2 sounds awesome by the way :)

I payed closer attention to the wind sound and it's true that it's just a Sterio sound made to sound like wind from all directions. I think they did this because they didn't want to make it 3D, or either the sound is just placeholder, just my guess. If your looking straight ahead instantly it's fine. But 3D would be better. Also, anyone know how rare the bell sounds are? I heard them once a long time ago, but havn't since.

---------- Post added at 14:21 ---------- Previous post was at 14:16 ----------

It just sounds extremely cheap with the current stereo samples. Same for weapon sounds. Turn your head left and right and fire the weapon, the sound will stay in your head and the echo sample will always come from the same direction too.

And when you are in a real car and turn your head, the sounds will change too and won't stay the same. You may not be able to hear where the engine sound is comming from, but you will hear different sounds from different directions, or at least slight changes.

The sound immersion in Arma 3 is just not as good as Arma 2...

In my opinion, most of the things in Arma 3 are not as good as Arma 2, but that's another topic.

What your hearing with the gun/echo sound, is what Laxemann made a mod for. Basically, the vanilla Arma 3 gun sound, is one sound besides the closure. It's the fire and the echo in one Sterio sound. This gives the impression of the echo NOT moving away from you and past surroundings, which is why people complain about directional when it comes to shots. The LS mod by Laxemann create that 3D reverb and almost perfectly represents how the gun sounds should have been executed, but I can see why they probably didn't, being BIS and the most wanted fixes being Optimization, having 3D echo at that time would mean doing it wrong the first time could be overly script intensive, causing and average of 5 FPS.

Other people have said all there is to say about the stereo sound issues, so I'll focus on one other thing that is bugging me right now:

When I perform a "hard landing" (not a crash) in a chopper, for example the Hellcat, the sound is wrong. It starts off pretty good with something like a bump/bang of the skids hitting the ground, but this sound loops every few seconds ("bang" ...... "bang"....), and it's missing a kind of "scraping" sound that I would expect.

The crash sound sample itself is quite good, but it shouldn't be looped. (Sounds with prominent spikes like a "bang" should never be looped, unless it's for an automatic weapon.) Instead the bang should be played once, and while the skids are sliding across the ground, there should be a scraping sound.

Other people have said all there is to say about the stereo sound issues, so I'll focus on one other thing that is bugging me right now:

When I perform a "hard landing" (not a crash) in a chopper, for example the Hellcat, the sound is wrong. It starts off pretty good with something like a bump/bang of the skids hitting the ground, but this sound loops every few seconds ("bang" ...... "bang"....), and it's missing a kind of "scraping" sound that I would expect.

The crash sound sample itself is quite good, but it shouldn't be looped. (Sounds with prominent spikes like a "bang" should never be looped, unless it's for an automatic weapon.) Instead the bang should be played once, and while the skids are sliding across the ground, there should be a scraping sound.

I second this. There was a moment when i was sliding down a hill in a disabled MH-9, and there was scraping sound. This could probably be added during soft landings that include a little bit of skidding. Also agree on the crash sound. Crash a Kajman for example, using a remote control unit in Zeus. Than, walk up to it after its crashed, and every now and then you hear this, "Bong" sound. It just loops, over, and over, and over, and over again.

Is it me or is this an issue with the rushing wind sound? I feel like it has odd pulses like this as well.

Is it me or is this an issue with the rushing wind sound? I feel like it has odd pulses like this as well.

Not really, there is a wind sound that is constant, but then you also have the sounds of gusts/disturbances here and there to simulate pockets of wind turbulence and such. I may be wrong, but until BIS releases a legitimate report on overall sound upgrades, we can only speculate/guess what it is for now.

It would be great if sounds that are outdoor like storm, rain, explosions, shots etc. would be occluded when inside buildings. You just dont get that feeling of being separated from outdoor environment, can't be sure if there is somebody in the building because of the noise around.

It would be great if sounds that are outdoor like storm, rain, explosions, shots etc. would be occluded when inside buildings. You just dont get that feeling of being separated from outdoor environment, can't be sure if there is somebody in the building because of the noise around.

Yeah would be nice.

That'd be so cool. It's pouring outside, and you walk into one of the houses, and you get this muffed reverb of the rain sounds throughout the house... maybe at some point in the distant future guys. Maybe.

Wow, its an awesome idea fragmachine! I hope to see this as a feature or as a mod. There are already sounds for rain hitting helicopters, so sounds for rain falling on a buildings roof would be really cool. And of course as positional 3D sound, not as another cheap stereo sample...

Certainly! Would add a big chunk to the immersion bucket!

Playing on stable today. Noticed the really loud wind effects made it into stable.

As much as I like the wind effect. Flying in first person with the little bird. Does not feel like flying a helicopter.

If you close your eyes , it instead feels like you are flying a handglider at speed with a tiny propeller on the back.

As noted a few times in this tread. Maybe toning down the wind noise. The propeller should not be this small background noise.

One more thing to the list of missing sounds:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=21292

Thanks Danczer, voted up and added to the list.

List of missing sounds (rolling list):

Infantry

• Rifle and pistol lowering, lifting
  • Going into boresight view.
  • Turning on and off rifle flashlight/IR pointer
  • Turning on GPS
  • Sounds of turning on and off NVGs - for god's sake, Zeus even has one!
  • Sound of falling bodies.
  • Screams when getting hit
  • No sound during parachuting (wind, parachute fabric)
  • No sound for turning (volume should grow louder according to turn speed)
  • Sound for closing and opening metal hatches on guard posts.

Ammunition

• Sound for falling bombs and artillery shells

Armour, Aircraft and Vehicles

• Sounds for tank turret hydraulics (which were there since and OFP and disappeared in Arma 3)
  • Sounds for switching on and off view modes in weapon sights
  • Sounds for switching between optics modes and zoom levels in gunner and commander sights
  • No sound for entering and exiting tanks, vehicles and aircrafts
  • Sound for knocked down trees
  • Sound for squashed bushes
  • Sound for impacting humans
  • Sound for impacting walls
  • Sound for impacting rocks
  • Sound for moving tank tracks and their friction with the ground (there's only the engine sound).
  • Turning headlights on and off
  • Splash sound when wheels impact a waterline (it was in OFP)
  • No impact sound when sitting in a vehicle that is hit. There should be different sounds for different calibers and those should change according to the type of armor the vehicle has, or lack of.
  • Sound for movement of fixed MG/GMG
  • No sound for turning in and out (hatch open/close)
  • No voice notification of events during the flight. Like: Low fuel, Over G, Altitude, Pull up, low speed etc.

Multiple missing sounds in the engine: http://pastebin.com/sREL3aFY - thanks kju

List of missing effects (rolling list):

• Sound occlusion [WIP]
  • Speed of sound simulation for vehicles and aircraft

Could the fire selector sound be bit more louder in first person? Just so we could hear it in the rain.

Dev Changelog 30-10-2014

• Fixed: Sound for rolling on the ground with a sidearm
  • Added: Rolling sound on dirt roads

Another sound bug I have noticed recently while playing on line is some times explosions cant be heard..even when they are right next to you. I think it might be related to air dropped weapons. I have had bombs dropped right next to me and not heard a thing.

Another sound bug I have noticed recently while playing on line is some times explosions cant be heard..even when they are right next to you. I think it might be related to air dropped weapons. I have had bombs dropped right next to me and not heard a thing.

I second this, bombs are way too silent. It's almost... counter productive that your more likely to hear more things than a high munitions bomb exploding.

Fix Ctrl+F finally.

You may change fire mode with Ctrl+F and no one will hear the sound of fire mode selection.

• Fixed: Sound: Explosion sounds in first person (in vehicles)

Can anyone do a quick check if this addresses the problem of the ticket in my sig.?

I get sound delay(2-3 seconds late) when driving through objects or crashed into them..

seems to lie not add sound to parachute, helicopter dlc for many sound effects ... but it sounds when the parachute? :banghead::shrug::smash:

Closure sounds for infantry weapons seem to still be there, is there any plans for this to be fixed or removed?