I don't like new helicopter sounds.

1. Wind in ears (especially hummingbird and pawnee).

If you turn your head in helicopter sound of wind will not change. You may turn your head to the left on 90 degrees but sound never changes. Your right ear will get the same sample as in neutral position.

It is break the immersion and cause motion seakness (especially if you use TrackIR).

Btw, in RL pilots use special helmets and you will not hear that sounds so clearly.

2. Sounds at >100 km/h speed

I think helicopter will break apart in the air. The clatter and banging is so unpleasant. IMO, there are no such kind of sounds in RL helicopters.

3. Sound of crash

Really, old one was much better. I can see that helicopter blows up but cannot hear the sound of explosion.

4. Sound of landing

This sound is very unnatural and unpleasant to hear.

You may check this youtube video and you will not hear such kind of sounds:

I know some of it may seem out of place, but remember that not only does BI have to simulate the sounds of the helicopter, they have to also simulate the tactile/physical sensory input you would receive while flying. In video games like DCS: A-10, switches in the cockpit make a loud click/snap when moved. Real switches don't make that much sound, but you have to take into account the fact that the player can't actually feel what is going on in game, and so sound is used to make up for this. Similarly, in video games the sound of explosions has the bass pumped way up to try to convey the pressure you would usually feel in your chest from an explosion in real life.

So the fast wind is to convey a feeling of speed. The clanking sound is a tad annoying I agree, what BI should really do is have its volume be proportional to the weight carried by the chopper. An unloaded chopper shouldn't make that sound, but a heavily loaded one in a turn definitely should. The sound of the crash is more realistic now than it was. In real life, the helicopter wouldn't explode at all. The two main sounds you would hear is the crumpling of metal, and the shrieking of the jet engine (both of these things are now in-game). Listen to this for a reference:

The fact that they use stereo sample instead of positional 3D sound is such an immersion-killer and a huge step backward. Why do they make stereo-samples out of everything now? It is so horrible when you turn your head and the sound will turn with you... Arma 2's sound system was alot better.

Just give every sound a 3D source in the helicopter like windshield, engine, landing gear, then it will be perfect!

I am totally agree with BlackPixxel.

About crash sounds. I see an explosion of helicopter every crash but don't hear an explosion. I see that helicopter is blown up and it is in fire but hear sound of engine failure... It is a big discrepancy.

Also the volume of sound are unbalanced.

I love it when I move my head around in DCS and I can hear exactly where the sounds are coming from (sound is not in your head). Arma3 is still a bit wierd, when the sounds move with your head, so it's impossible to pinpoint their source.

Totally agree with BlackPixxel as well.. 3d positional sounds is the way to go. So much more immersion, and less disorientation

I just get a deafening distorted, 8-bit sounding noise when the helo crashes. I'm using Razer surround software but it doesn't cause any other problems in Arma or other games, so I don't think it's related.

Clanking in a stealth heli does not work for me. Hellcat sure or heavy one.

add radio chatter in the cockpit. It is great for immersion and feel like there is more going on.

A few balances are needed. But overall happy they are putting more effort into the sound. Looking forward to dlc.

add radio chatter in the cockpit. It is great for immersion and feel like there is more going on.

That could be a problem in campaign or mission where there are scripted radio messages.

I really don't think so. Do the a10 showcase with jsrs on. Does not affect gameplay at all.

---------- Post added at 11:58 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

Just out of curiosity has any dev mentioned yet why sounds are still not being done in 3d. Understanding resources and time being a factor but Is it at least planned? Or been discussed.

For those us that play in groups with ACRE/TFAR, stuff like that is plain annoying and unwanted so if ambient crap like that goes in, it should be under the radio volume slider so it can be turned off.

Negative on the Radio Chatter, that can be provided by mods. Wouldn't be very realistic having ghosts talk to you, because well, there's no one living on Altis at the moment, even though it's supposed to be heavily civilian populated due to them leaving Stratis.

Agree with the 3D sound. Arma 2's sous engine was ok, Arma 3's sound Engine JUST NEEDS WORK, and than we can really have some great immersion. Tweaking is expected, as a lot of these sounds are not final. Also, the transition of the Kajman between start up, constant, and power down engine sounds needs to be tweaked, as well as their volumes to fit on and not sound like it's fading out. Probably same with other Helo's.

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

Edit: Sound needs as much love as Optimization was given from the start. In fact, a full on Relationship should be established, to insure it's future.

I cannot understand why BIS put this sounds in stable branch. So much disappointment.

Just out of curiosity has any dev mentioned yet why sounds are still not being done in 3d.

What sounds are you talking about?

They're on stable branch? I never noticed them, only in Dev.

Yeah, there are new sounds for helis (rain hitting xH-9 ones, crash sounds, wind and clatter/banging for high speeds, something else i guess) which are awesome, new arty explosions which i didn't like, new tank shot sound which is awesome too - thats what i found so far.

What sounds are you talking about?

There are many such sounds but let's use vehicles as an example. Instead of having a mono sample played in the 3D world, they use stereo samples played inside the head of the listener.

Take the engine of a helicopter as an example. If it were played in mono and had the same position as the engine in the 3D world, you would be able to hear where the sound is coming from, especially when moving your head around. The way it's done in Arma3 is there's a stereo sample being played inside the head of the pilot. Turn the head, and the sound turns with it, creating a very strange feeling of not actually being in the 3D world. The sound is not coming from the engine, it is in your head. This is considered a problem by most, especially us who use some kind of surround sound system.

Yeah, there are new sounds for helis (rain hitting xH-9 ones, crash sounds, wind and clatter/banging for high speeds, something else i guess) which are awesome, new arty explosions which i didn't like, new tank shot sound which is awesome too - thats what i found so far.

Please, readl last two pages of this thread.

Hmmm... I expected them to release them with the Heli DLC... Anyhow, I agree, the sounds really need to be 3D

I have noticed that sometimes there is no sound of Tigris firing in multiplayer, when i am a driver and i am in 3rd person. The firing sound not played, especially during long firing. I have noticed this earlier in stable i1.30, 1.31 and now in the 1.32. I think it is in dev. version too, but we haven't tested it. Can somebody confirm this issue on the dev branch?

Please, readl last two pages of this thread.

Why?

There are many such sounds but let's use vehicles as an example. Instead of having a mono sample played in the 3D world, they use stereo samples played inside the head of the listener.

Take the engine of a helicopter as an example. If it were played in mono and had the same position as the engine in the 3D world, you would be able to hear where the sound is coming from, especially when moving your head around. The way it's done in Arma3 is there's a stereo sample being played inside the head of the pilot. Turn the head, and the sound turns with it, creating a very strange feeling of not actually being in the 3D world. The sound is not coming from the engine, it is in your head. This is considered a problem by most, especially us who use some kind of surround sound system.

I don't know, maybe you're using some broken surround system, or system that isn't in fact surround, but I can clearly hear where helicopter is situated relative to me. If it is behind me - sound comes from rear speakers, if it is in front of me - sound comes from central speaker, etc. I agree that not every sample in the game made that way, and considering helicopters that wasn't true like 3-4 months ago - i did blind tests and i couldn't distinguish right direction, but now it is working fine.

What doesn't work fine is explosion sounds - I cannot determine a direction from which they are coming, tank engines if they are closer that 30 metres, something else I guess (it was like 2 months ago when I did last tests). So all in all sound works much better than it did before, and becomes better and better with every patch.

I don't know, maybe you're using some broken surround system, or system that isn't in fact surround, but I can clearly hear where helicopter is situated relative to me. If it is behind me - sound comes from rear speakers, if it is in front of me - sound comes from central speaker, etc. I agree that not every sample in the game made that way, and considering helicopters that wasn't true like 3-4 months ago - i did blind tests and i couldn't distinguish right direction, but now it is working fine.

I don't think you fully understood. What you are talking about is when you are standing on the ground and helicopter is flying around you. That's working fine. What the rest of us are talking about is the sound effects you hear when sitting inside the helicopter, for example as pilot. What you hear as a pilot is not true 3D. It is stuck inside your head. Move the head around in cockpit and the sound should be different, but it's not.

I don't think you fully understood. What you are talking about is when you are standing on the ground and helicopter is flying around you. That's working fine. What the rest of us are talking about is the sound effects you hear when sitting inside the helicopter, for example as pilot. What you hear as a pilot is not true 3D. It is stuck inside your head. Move the head around in cockpit and the sound should be different, but it's not.

Ah, got it. Yeah, it does sound like it is in your head, and no matter what direction you're facing the sound doesn't change. And here comes a big dirty BUT =) But it is like that in real life - last year I had an opportunity to ride in Mi-8 for a tour. When engine started I couldn't hear shit, even when somebody yelled right into my ear, and it REALLY felt like this beast engine is working right at the center of my brain =). So I don't think that it is neither unrealistic nor that a big deal. When you're inside a vehicle it is always feels like all the sounds are coming from all directions simultaneously. I don't agree that it is immersion breaking or something and has to change.