As for "what's so special about stereo". It changes a tank coming at you from everywhere to a tank coming at you from the left.

Some breakthrough...

Well, at least it has been clearly articulated that there will be no proper, i.e. positional, audio within this generation. Running around with furry microphones and re-doing samples for the third time isn't going to cut it anymore.

Added sound for movement of fixed MG/GMG. Are there reload sounds for them?

List of missing sounds (rolling list):

Infantry

• Rifle and pistol lowering, lifting
  • Going into boresight view.
  • Turning on and off rifle flashlight/IR pointer
  • Turning on GPS
  • Sounds of turning on and off NVGs - for god's sake, Zeus even has it!
  • Sound of falling bodies.
  • Screams when getting hit
  • No sound during parachuting (wind, parachute fabric)

Ammunition

• Sound for falling bombs and artillery shells

Armour and Vehicles

• Sounds for tank turret hydraulics (which were there since and OFP and disappeared in Arma 3)
  • Sounds for switching on and off view modes in weapon sights
  • Sounds for switching between optics modes and zoom levels in gunner and commander sights
  • No sound for entering and exiting tanks, vehicles and aircrafts
  • Sound for knocked down trees
  • Sound for squashed bushes
  • Sound for impacting humans
  • Sound for impacting walls
  • Sound for impacting rocks
  • Sound for moving tank tracks and their friction with the ground (there's only the engine sound).
  • Turning headlights on and off
  • Splash sound when wheels impact a waterline (it was in OFP)
  • No impact sound when sitting in a vehicle that is hit. There should be different sounds for different calibers and those should change according to the type of armor the vehicle has, or lack of.
  • Sound for movement of fixed MG/GMG

Multiple missing sounds in the engine: http://pastebin.com/sREL3aFY - thanks kju

List of missing effects (rolling list):

• Sound occlusion [WIP]
  • Speed of sound simulation for vehicles and aircraft

Edited by Variable

It is probably a feature request, but it would be very useful during a PVP.

* Rotation speed based footstep/movement sound volume

Currently if you want to be stealth you should be stationary. If you turn around(even when it is extreme slow) the same footstep sound played with the same volume as if you turn fast.

Edit: If you are turning very very slowly the sound is not played at all. This could be a workaround to turn stealthy.

Edited by danczer

This is working in dev 127167, but only when the unit is standing. Raising/lowering while kneeling is still silent.

Currently if you want to be stealth you should be stationary. If you turn around(even when it is extreme slow) the same footstep sound played with the same volume as if you turn fast.

Yeah, there's no sound for turning now, at all, is there?

This is working in dev 127167, but only when the unit is standing. Raising/lowering while kneeling is still silent.

Good, that's progress. Updating the entry to no sound when kneeling.

Infantry

• Rifle and pistol lowering, lifting when kneeling.
  • Turning on GPS
  • No sound for turning (volume should grow louder according to turn speed)

Ammunition

Armour and Vehicles

• Sounds for tank turret hydraulics (which were there since and OFP and disappeared in Arma 3)
  • Sounds for switching between optics modes and zoom levels in gunner and commander sights
  • Sound for moving tank tracks and their friction with the ground (there's only the engine sound).
  • No impact sound when sitting in a vehicle that is hit. There should be different sounds for different calibers and those should change according to the type of armor the vehicle has, or lack of.

Multiple missing sounds in the engine: http://pastebin.com/sREL3aFY - thanks kju

• Sound occlusion [WIP]

Edited by Variable

I tested it again. Yes there is a sound for turning, but only when the weapon is raised. If the weapon is lowered there is no step sounds, because the character is sliding on the ground.

Also if you turning very slowly then there is no sound, because the turn animation is not played correctly.

Btw it would be good to have this feature, but it is not mandatory for the stealth movement.

Hatch opening/closing sound seems to be missing.

Edited by FrankHH
typo

Harch opening/closing sound seems to be missing.

I already reported this (directly) a while ago. :)

I already reported this (directly) a while ago. :)

Do you mean sound for turning in and turning out for armored vehicles? If so, added.

Infantry

• Rifle and pistol lowering, lifting when kneeling.
  • Turning on GPS
  • No sound for turning (volume should grow louder according to turn speed)
  • Sound for closing and opening metal hatches on guard posts.

Ammunition

Armour and Vehicles

• No sound for turning in and out (hatch open/close)

• Sound occlusion [WIP]

Edited by Variable

Do you mean sound for turning in and turning out for armored vehicles? If so, added.

Oh, no I meant the closeable hatches in the green guard towers. :)

It's been a while since I tested them, but last I checked they had no sound and the animation was stuttery.

Those two issues used to be in one (quite old) ticket on the feedback tracker, so I separated them, cleaned them up and made Dwarden aware of them. He said he would pass them on to the appropriate teams.

Oh, no I meant the closeable hatches in the green guard towers. :)

It's been a while since I tested them, but last I checked they had no sound and the animation was stuttery.

Those two issues used to be in one (quite old) ticket on the feedback tracker, so I separated them, cleaned them up and made Dwarden aware of them. He said he would pass them on to the appropriate teams.

Ok, I'll edit the above post. However, is there any sound for turning in and out? I don't remember there is one, and I can't check now.

Ok, I'll edit the above post. However, is there any sound for turning in and out? I don't remember there is one, and I can't check now.

Me neither, but I don't think so. (In ARMA 3 my default assumption is "no, until proven otherwise". ;))

Me neither, but I don't think so. (In ARMA 3 my default assumption is "no, until proven otherwise". ;))

hehe that's exactly why I added it to the list already... :)

No, there isn't any such sound.

Interesting tidbit, the sound for moving a turret is still "in", the engine hast the capabilities, but the appropriate config entries have an empty default sound and thus are inaudible.

No, there isn't any such sound.

Interesting tidbit, the sound for moving a turret is still "in", the engine hast the capabilities, but the appropriate config entries have an empty default sound and thus are inaudible.

I don't think they ever removed any sound functionality itself, it just seems like they went with a clean slate for A3 and never got around to recording/configuring all sounds. A buttload of things like that have blank sounds.

Really eager to hear the new sound effects, especially the rain samples when inside a vehicle :D

BTW, just came up with an idea, something that I think it's missing and would add a lot to the atmosphere. 3D insects sounds that come from the actual 3D model of the insects. Imagine the BZZZZZZ of a bee flying past your character's ear!

Really eager to hear the new sound effects, especially the rain samples when inside a vehicle :D
Did someone manage to hear that ? Tested new dev branch, I don't have any of those new sounds...

Classic BIS changelog - new sounds advertised, new sounds don't work. Looking forward to hearing them though. I hope this is the kind of addition we can expect from time to time, to give the soundscape the attention it has been lacking.

Imagine the BZZZZZZ of a bee flying past your character's ear!

I'd have to check but I would have said that was already in. It certainly was in Arma 2, anyway. Maybe it's one of those Arma 3 sound features that was broken and will be fixed later, now that BIS have hired some sound guys.

Classic BIS changelog - new sounds advertised, new sounds don't work. Looking forward to hearing them though.

The sounds don't work for all vehicles, but they're audible around and inside the A/MH-9 and the Orca, at least. Pretty awesome too. :)

Edited by MadDogX
added vehicles with audible rain sound

BTW, just came up with an idea, something that I think it's missing and would add a lot to the atmosphere. 3D insects sounds that come from the actual 3D model of the insects. Imagine the BZZZZZZ of a bee flying past your character's ear!

As much as I'd love to have that I'd rather they started with adding just that, but for projectiles. Buzzing ricochets perhaps? After sorting out eventual bugs they could apply it to the bugs ;)

The sounds don't work for all vehicles, but they're audible around and inside the A/MH-9 and the Orca, at least. Pretty awesome too. :)

Oh yes they're awesome! :yay:

Now if they could add different sound for the rain when you're under a roof/inside a house.

Yes, very nice touch, A/MH-9's sounds overall are great now, with the wind and squeaking and stuff, can't wait for other vehicles to catch up. :angel:

Yes, very nice touch, A/MH-9's sounds overall are great now, with the wind and squeaking and stuff, can't wait for other vehicles to catch up. :angel:

Yup, it's amazing how much of a difference these kinds of sounds make for immersion. If they can implement all the missing sounds and effects from Variable's list, it might feel like a completely different game. Especially sound occlusion and attenuation would make a big difference in terms of "audio realism".

Speaking of the list, rain sounds on vehicles weren't even on it. :)

The wind is really impressive makes such a big difference. I do like the other noises but the clinking sounds from inside the orca is too melodic needs to be more random. But overall a good step forward.

noticed while testing rotor durability. the po7 9mm handgun sounds strange. Can someone else check this ,it does not seem natural. Shoot a rifle then shoot the handgun. It's as if someone just turned down the volume.