This effect has been in the game since Arma 2. Ideally, it shouldn't be noticeable; it should seem like a natural way to make the gun sounds seem louder, since a video game has drastically less dynamic range than real life. It would be odd to hear birds chirping while firing a rifle.

I never noticed it in Arma 2. Perhaps the aggressiveness of Arma 3's limiter is much higher? As you said, it shouldn't be noticeable. I do hope they adjust this in the future.

Well JSRS certainly achieved to increase the dynamic range, I assume it wouldn't be hard to do for BI.

But I think it is a choice, rather than a limitation : not everyone wants to be deaf when firing a machine gun (it would need an "earplug" feature). Arma isn't a pure simulation; I guess that extreme game mechanics/simulations would scare the average consumer.

It is very easy to make a game with a high dynamic range. The problem is it is absolutely impractical in a FPS game. As you correctly stated, people would be deaf soon.

The point is to set up the compression/limiter so that it is less explicit without actually increasing dynamic range. It can be done but it is not an easy task. You have to tweak a lot in order to find a sweet-spot and avoid distortions and obvious ducking etc.

Why are there no turret movement sounds for tanks and AFVs? We had those cool hydraulics sounds even in OFP.

Why are there no turret movement sounds for tanks and AFVs? We had those cool hydraulics sounds even in OFP.

Personally I don't like it because it's annoying. I'm using a headphone so it's twice the annoyance... just my 2cents

it would be awesome if BI would add sounds for death body when they hit the ground.

for example here like in crysis:

when you shoot someone and he is dead and fall to the ground, then there is a sound how they hit the ground, it is not loud but its there.

would be awesome to have it in arma 3 too

Personally I don't like it because it's annoying. I'm using a headphone so it's twice the annoyance... just my 2cents

Many things in real combat are annoying sound-wise, yet we have them in the game.

Those sounds are crucial as they can help us discover a static tank behind an obstacle.

Many things in real combat are annoying sound-wise, yet we have them in the game.

Those sounds are crucial as they can help us discover a static tank behind an obstacle.

That. It's immersive, it's realistic, and it's just the opposite when you don't have these sounds. It's a bug.

it would be awesome if BI would add sounds for death body when they hit the ground.

We have that feature since OFP, until it was broken in A3. Sounds are present in game files, but they not working. :(

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=15114

Edited by Danil-ch

We have that feature since OFP, until it was broken in A3. Sounds are present in game files, but they not working. :(

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=15114

So I'm guessing this no longer works because of ragdoll?

Also would be nice to have effect both audio and impact wise when driving over people. Killed a whole squad tonight with my truck but not a peep, dent or even vibration but they sure died.

So I'm guessing this no longer works because of ragdoll?

Also would be nice to have effect both audio and impact wise when driving over people. Killed a whole squad tonight with my truck but not a peep, dent or even vibration but they sure died.

Friendly AI convoys are going to be very noisy indeed... :-))))))

Will this problem be addressed sometime?

There used to be a ticket, but it seems to be gone now. The problem still exists in the most current beta as well as stable.

It's especially annoying with infantry because you can kill a guy and hear his last three shots or so after he dies, and it sounds like there's someone else still over there.

Will this problem be addressed sometime?

There used to be a ticket, but it seems to be gone now. The problem still exists in the most current beta as well as stable.

I've also been experimenting with the new rc 1.24 today and have recreated the editor the same as shown in the video and it seems that you have reason. Something has happened to the sound with these latest game updates.

But I think this will have to confirm this BI whether or not an audio problem.:confused:

Edited by Metralla

• Sound: Locate position of sound

From yesterdays dev update it seems the 5.1 started to work yay :D

but also i discovered a "old" bug as InstaGoat

made 2 quick videos showing the sound bug (laggy but you get an idea of the bug also csat guy had god mode on)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2F_oIjEtWdUMmcyN0dOUkFmLXc

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2F_oIjEtWdUbWYyYlJ6eFY1cGM

I dont really see the bug, but something is wrong with the stereo audio. The soldier is to your front a bit right, but the sound comes directly from the right, as if he would stand next to you. Or is this the bug?

It is a bug - its more obvious directly ingame

basicly the APC or the MG guy were shooting full auto and you as player you are near him but when you move like 50m away

sound changes like he was shooting in 3 round burst while visually he is still shooting full auto then you come back and now you hear the full auto

I know that at some point a limiter was added to the stable building to prevent clipping. However, it seems like the limiter is far too aggressive as you can actually hear it making everything quieter.

I noticed this the other day - grab an MX and fire full auto. After the first shot, everything else is drowned out like someone is turning the volume down. When you notice it, it's really quite annoying.

Is this a bug, or this just how Arma is now?

No thats just the sample clipping and distorting. The limiter is bullshit, fire a tanks main gun

New church bells..

I LIKE IT...

@BIS now please more from your Excellent Environment Sounds...you have it...

for Example -flinching deer,scary Birds etc.

Brilliant, awsome but a little bit more would be GREAT for immersion.

I think BIS is on the right way for Environment-Sounds.... but ...DO IT....

Thanks Reserve

Edited by Reserve

Added: Sound of church bells

Nice, BI! I appreciate the effort to make the audio environment more alive. More so, I like that you made the sound nearly positional, there's just one little problem with it.. If you turn while the bells are chiming, the sound sticks to the direction from which it started playing, until it starts all over with a new sample. To me stuff like this is very disorienting. And while you're at it could you perhaps add a chiming impact sound for bells?

Added: Sound of church bells

Nice, BI! I appreciate the effort to make the audio environment more alive. More so, I like that you made the sound nearly positional, there's just one little problem with it.. If you turn while the bells are chiming, the sound sticks to the direction from which it started playing, until it starts all over with a new sample. To me stuff like this is very disorienting. And while you're at it could you perhaps add a chiming impact sound for bells?

Amazing, they never learn. Every sound that they add has no positional audio at this point.

Since the config changes that stopped every weapon in my mod having sound, I decided to change the new configs and discovered that now the engine messes sounds so badly that it feels like your indoors or in a tunnel when a sound repeats like a gun shot. I'm so glad I've dropped SOS this issue makes it not worth all the hard work.

So something official on what is going on? :band:

Since the config changes that stopped every weapon in my mod having sound, I decided to change the new configs and discovered that now the engine messes sounds so badly that it feels like your indoors or in a tunnel when a sound repeats like a gun shot. I'm so glad I've dropped SOS this issue makes it not worth all the hard work.

So yeah, what happens is easy to understand :bounce3: well in the dev branch right now I think they are working with the sounds of the game engine now so rare these sound effects are heard. I think if all goes well and get better sound engine upgrade in the next game may surprise us. :yay: