Will the zeus thunder sound come in environmental thunder sounds? The current one is so lame.

i miss a sound base line for volume in this this game nothing fits together.

the one engine is loud the other low, doors have no sound the other has it. a dead men click and reload can i hear over the half village. the rpg launcher is very low.

the footsteps are very too loud for modern military boots with soft sole. distance sounds are missing and so any more .... i cant find a baseline when i play :confused: oh a reload - not one can say " where is the man" in front behind 10 meters 100 meters :confused:

and what to hell make this swich swich sound on the hummingbird ? its a 4 rotor blade copter - not a old 2 rotor blade UH 1 :D it sucks when flying :rolleyes:

The sounds in ARMA2 in terms of audio normalization, depth, distance, etc. were pretty damn good when compared with ARMA 3. Over a year later and we still have many of the same problems released with Alpha.

What's interesting to me is that the audio dev use to post here. Haven't seen him around in quite some time. I wonder if he got his ass canned?

i miss a sound base line for volume in this this game nothing fits together.

the one engine is loud the other low, doors have no sound the other has it. a dead men click and reload can i hear over the half village. the rpg launcher is very low.

the footsteps are very too loud for modern military boots with soft sole. distance sounds are missing and so any more .... i cant find a baseline when i play :confused: oh a reload - not one can say " where is the man" in front behind 10 meters 100 meters :confused:

and what to hell make this swich swich sound on the hummingbird ? its a 4 rotor blade copter - not a old 2 rotor blade UH 1 :D it sucks when flying :rolleyes:

I got to agree with this. The audio balance is just so off pretty much every place. Many things sound cool from close but then when audio happens bit further it's either waaaay too loud or way too quiet. You can hear fire mode switch very far but then some loud things like thunder or explosions fade too quickly.

I find myself playing arma bit more recently thanks to the efforts of certain sound modders. Sounds are such important immersion contributor to game it it can simply change the experience.

With that said now though - It's been over a year without significant changes to the sound themselfs or the sound engine and one has to wonder, do you even care?

I mean full year..that's a lot of time

I get the impression that by the time ( if ever ) you may do something with the sounds another arma may as well be on the horizon. ( but the wheel keeps spinning amIright )

I appreciate there's ton of other work to be done on this... engine .. but don't you think it's time to step some of the features a bit up?

You may not be aware but some games that are 5 or more years older have far more advanced and better made sounds there's probably room for improvement or perhaps you couldn't care less and I' getting that message whole year too late?

I find myself playing arma bit more recently thanks to the efforts of certain sound modders. Sounds are such important immersion contributor to game it it can simply change the experience.

With that said now though - It's been over a year without significant changes to the sound themselfs or the sound engine and one has to wonder, do you even care?

I mean full year..that's a lot of time

I get the impression that by the time ( if ever ) you may do something with the sounds another arma may as well be on the horizon. ( but the wheel keeps spinning amIright )

I appreciate there's ton of other work to be done on this... engine .. but don't you think it's time to step some of the features a bit up?

You may not be aware but some games that are 5 or more years older have far more advanced and better made sounds there's probably room for improvement or perhaps you couldn't care less and I' getting that message whole year too late?

Do you even read the changelogs?

There has been a significant change that is going to be used for another sound features in the future:

Sound: Added: APO fadeout effect

It is related to real-time cleaning up of reverberation on source samples. It's currently not used, but added in the engine as preparation for audio features we're investigating for DLC (meaning Arma 3 generally since it's an engine technology and we will not branch the platform in that way).

This post by DnA is one of the best I've seen here in a while. I like that they will focus on the engine for upcoming DLCs. Imho that's way more important than some vehilces/weapons/missions, since we can get those from the community or create ourselves.

This post by DnA is one of the best I've seen here in a while. I like that they will focus on the engine for upcoming DLCs. Imho that's way more important than some vehilces/weapons/missions, since we can get those from the community or create ourselves.

Agreed. Everything engine-wise (AI and fatigue especially) is now more important than content.

There has been a significant change that is going to be used for another sound features in the future:

This is at code level, you most likely will not notice much/if any difference if nothing else is changed bar only being used to clean up source sample reverberation.

The difference will be if any extra script or engine commands come from this implementation allowing more in depth audio ie assigning reverberation/decay/echo to samples when the player is on specific surface labeled areas on the map ie like a forest or urban area.

Also they are only investigating into it a present, believe me I'm excited and hoping for what I have just suggested but its not time to start throwing babies up in the air just yet.

Edited by Bigpickle

This is at code level, you most likely will not notice much/if any difference if nothing else is changed bar only being used to clean up source sample reverberation.

The difference will be if any extra script or engine commands come from this implementation allowing more in depth audio ie assigning reverberation/decay/echo to samples when the player is on specific surface labeled areas on the map ie like a forest or urban area.

Also they are only investigating into it a present, believe me I'm excited and hoping for what I have just suggested but its not time to start throwing babies up in the air just yet.

Sure, we have to wait and see.

I do read them and my post has been published 04/14 - a day earlier.

I envy your patience but I don't have it - If the sounds we have were at least half reasonable and not game breaking for the most part, I'd remain sympathetic but 14 months with no changes? How can anyone have any patience left

I do read them and my post has been published 04/14 - a day earlier.

I envy your patience but I don't have it - If the sounds we have were at least half reasonable and not game breaking for the most part, I'd remain sympathetic but 14 months with no changes? How can anyone have any patience left

Well, I think there are more important fixes pending than sound features (and this comes from a sound-enthusiast/DIY sound designer) and therefore I am patient.

Edited by Bouben

It's easier to have patience than to rage over a computer game.

No, you don't come up as the mature one with your condescending and in no way helpful post.

Just because I voice my dissatisfaction with some of feature progress that are important to some more than others doesn't make them immature nor whiners and if you chose to high praise and nod to everything doesn't make you neither patient nor mature

No, you don't come up as the mature one with your condescending and in no way helpful post.

Just because I voice my dissatisfaction with some of feature progress that are important to some more than others doesn't make them immature nor whiners and if you chose to high praise and nod to everything doesn't make you neither patient nor mature

Woah, hold your horses, I didn't try to come up as anything, nor judged anything being immature. :confused:

There's numerous things I'd like changed in the game, some of them very much, like the reloading sounds, the beeps when placing explosives and so on, but it doesn't speed up the devs job if I lose my patience now does it? :)

Certain cutscene animations fail to play footstep noises and are filling my .RPT with the following spam:

Cannot load sound 'a3\sounds_f\characters\cutscenes\dirt_acts_welcomeonhub01_playerwalk.wss'
Cannot load sound 'a3\sounds_f\characters\cutscenes\dirt_acts_welcomeonhub01_playerwalk_1.wss'
Cannot load sound 'a3\sounds_f\characters\cutscenes\dirt_acts_welcomeonhub01_playerwalk_2.wss'
Cannot load sound 'a3\sounds_f\characters\cutscenes\dirt_acts_welcomeonhub01_playerwalk_3.wss'
Cannot load sound 'a3\sounds_f\characters\cutscenes\dirt_acts_welcomeonhub01_playerwalk_4.wss'
Cannot load sound 'a3\sounds_f\characters\cutscenes\dirt_acts_welcomeonhub01_playerwalk_5.wss'
Cannot load sound 'a3\sounds_f\characters\cutscenes\dirt_acts_welcomeonhub01_playerwalk_6.wss'
Cannot load sound 'a3\sounds_f\characters\cutscenes\dirt_acts_welcomeonhub02_playerwalk.wss'
Cannot load sound 'a3\sounds_f\characters\cutscenes\dirt_acts_welcomeonhub02_playerwalk_2.wss'
Cannot load sound 'a3\sounds_f\characters\cutscenes\grass_acts_welcomeonhub02_playerwalk_3.wss'
Cannot load sound 'a3\sounds_f\characters\cutscenes\dirt_acts_welcomeonhub02_playerwalk_3.wss'

Rectification would be appreciated - my intros are ominously silent without footsteps. :)

Ticket - http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=18738

Has something changed, the sound scape sounds even worse than before, muffled almost, sounds cutting out etc

do you really want to know how long we waited for the fix of the well know bug that soldiers lost all their equipment when swimming? several YEARS.

So the ability to have patience is just a matter of long practice ;) It's all good as long as you know that EVENTUALLY they will take care of it. You just don't know if you're still around then... nrgv2s7a.gif

Edited by Brainbug

BIS devs must all play without sound. I don't know what self respecting sound dev would tolerate this incompetent sound engine Arma3 has.

I'm not talking about the sound mods, those are just replacement sounds and running scripts to trigger sounds and effects, but they can't fix the bad engine.

Like i've said time and again, the Arma 3 sound engine by itself is atrociously bad.

Difference between a good engine and a bad engine, listen to a stock BF:BC2 or any later BF game. There's great positional audio, great filtering, great LIVE effects, mastering is sublime. The whole audio experience is immersive and captivating. 3D Audio. That's 3D Audio on your plain stereo monitors (2 speakers).

Now listen to stock Arma3. There's bad positional audio (firing, vehicles, heli's etc), no filtering, no live effects (indoor, outdoor, valley's, forests), no 3D Audio. Things the engine is not capable of.

For instance, how long has the reload bug been here? Let somebody to your right reload. Now when you hear the reload sound, quickly turn around in a circle. You will notice the reload sound 'sticks to your ear', it keeps playing exactly where it started. Instead of staying stationary to it's source in the game world. This is basics of positional audio, i'm not even talking engine fx yet, and BIS doesn't care.

Next Arma, i'm voting with my wallet.

do you really want to know how long we waited for the fix of the well know bug that soldiers lost all their equipment when swimming? several YEARS. ...

Offtopic, but you're using a wrong example. :) That wasn't a bug, it was a feature ever since swimming was implemented and was treated as such. Then eventually they implemented a description.ext param (enableItemsDropping) to toggle that behavior.

Just me on the subject. i'm not sure how it works, but CBA allows for creators to create certain effects for sounds, for example, with JSRS, CBA can allow sounds to be heard at a more realistic distance, and allows certain filters through different terrains, and what not. Here is my two cents. Either BIS could find out how that works and implement that in game, though keep in mind it doesn't fix everything, or... Completely re do the sound engine of the RV engine. I'm certain that re doing the sound engine however, would take alot, and i mean, ALOT of time, not only that, but it would also mean about a million changes in the already existing game, in terms of missions, and saved data, and scripts and more. Though, i think it's possible that they could do a new sound thing as a feature. For example. With the Helicopters DLC, were getting features such as advanced Logistics. Sling, better vehicle interaction in terms of infantry. So, why not with say, the Marksman DLC, or the Expansion over all, they gives us Engine features in terms of Sound. Maybe overhaul the sound on a completely separate EXE, and re work everything, update the existing arma with it. Just a thought.

Sound: Fixed: Simulation of sound speed for all weapons

Sound: Collision sound volume based on speed

Pleasure to see this in dev branch.Wish I could know more in depth feature of of fixed

simulation of sound for weapons.

Sound: Fixed: Simulation of sound speed for all weapons

Sound: Collision sound volume based on speed

Pleasure to see this in dev branch.Wish I could know more in depth feature of of fixed

simulation of sound for weapons.

340 meters per second, they mean they have set it to the right speed is all.

340 meters per second, they mean they have set it to the right speed is all.

Oh thanks.How did you figure this one out?