in dev branch i see Added: Battlefield sound objects. what the heck are these?

They are battlefield sound objects :)

They act as a point source of the sound of a distant battle, as used in the campaign missions. You can place them as objects in the mission editor or with scripts.

They are battlefield sound objects :)

They act as a point source of the sound of a distant battle, as used in the campaign missions. You can place them as objects in the mission editor or with scripts.

oh nice. thanks for the info.

Is it correct that the Tanks do not have firing sounds anymore and that many gun sounds now suffer from massive volume overboost crackling? (When firing a gun on full auto, the sound gets saturated and in some cases consumed by static crackling, as if the game is sending too high a load to the output. I am not sure if this is recordable, I will try once I get my recording program to work again.)

The mechanics clicking in the guns are also now extremely loud, not silenced by distance and ignore speed of sound. It's especially noticeable in the main menu for me when the firefight starts. The clicking of the bolts is much louder than the gun reports.

Edit: Had the files validated and now the sounds work again. However, the volume crackling issue remains. At 100% volume and 75% it occurs, with two different sound systems, internal chip and a sound card.

Edited by InstaGoat

Is it correct that the Tanks do not have firing sounds anymore and that many gun sounds now suffer from massive volume overboost crackling? (When firing a gun on full auto, the sound gets saturated and in some cases consumed by static crackling, as if the game is sending too high a load to the output. I am not sure if this is recordable, I will try once I get my recording program to work again.)

The mechanics clicking in the guns are also now extremely loud, not silenced by distance and ignore speed of sound. It's especially noticeable in the main menu for me when the firefight starts. The clicking of the bolts is much louder than the gun reports.

Edit: Had the files validated and now the sounds work again. However, the volume crackling issue remains. At 100% volume and 75% it occurs, with two different sound systems, internal chip and a sound card.

I´ve always had that happen (since Alpha) with certain guns (especially SMGs) if using 5.1.

I have had that crackling issue since alpha as well. A good way to test it is using the cluster shell with artillery.

The impact sounds of those sounds metallic, crackly, distorted or whatever you would call it.

The sound aliasing errors in tanks also still persist, as well as other electric sounding artifacts with some guns. I am wondering, is the sound filter system broken?

Actually, in the latest version it seems LJ has managed to isolate the directionality issue and help alleviate the problem to a great degree. So I guess maybe it's not an engine problem so much as a vanilla ArmA 3 sound config problem? Because it occurs with vanilla sounds, too.

Yeah i did too by going back to mono sounds.

The sound aliasing errors in tanks also still persist, as well as other electric sounding artifacts with some guns. I am wondering, is the sound filter system broken?

I used to believe there was a sound filter system but considering there is zero external occlusion, I cant see how there is a filter system without the main controlling factor.

Incredible, they are fixing sound related bugs that plagued the game since forever. I like where this is hopefully going.

Incredible, they are fixing sound related bugs that plagued the game since forever. I like where this is hopefully going.

where did you see that? I don't use dev anymore and couldn't find anything on the change logs.

I really hope you don't just mean this one thing as fixing sound related bug

Fixed: Sounds of gun shooting were not always played
Edited by Bigpickle

where did you see that? I don't use dev anymore and couldn't find anything on the change logs.

I really hope you don't just mean this one thing as fixing sound related bug

Added: Sounds for changing fire modes of most guns

Fixed: Changing pistol or rifle for binoculars now has sound in all stances

Fixed: Healing yourself should now have a sound

Changed: Sound attenuation in helicopters

Added: Clicking sound for hiding text in UI

Added: New sounds to various animations

Fixed: Ambient noises of Van

Fixed: Path to soldier fatigue sounds

Various rockets have their launch sound improved

Added: Sound for self-healing animations

These are all taken from the recent changelogs

Still nothing regarding sound aliasing, but there finally seems to be some progress on the audio front

"Added: Sounds for changing fire modes of most guns"

That's nice but it seems bugged in my case. The sound originates from my spawn position, even when I move away from it. It does not follow me, so when I move away far enough from spawn, it becomes inaudible.

"Added: Sounds for changing fire modes of most guns"

That's nice but it seems bugged in my case. The sound originates from my spawn position, even when I move away from it. It does not follow me, so when I move away far enough from spawn, it becomes inaudible.

That is not the only case. I have found another sounds that behave like that but don't remember what they were.

DnA confirmed the problem in general devbranch thread. They are looking at it... :)

I don't know whether is was already discussed, but if someone reloads next to me in Multiplayer games and I turn myself, the reload-sound turns with me, so it stays for example on the right ear even if I turned myself 180°.

Nice demonstration. Let's hope it's not to hard to fix. Another thing about the selector switch sound is that it's slightly to loud in my opinion.

I'd prefer environmental effects on sound (reverb, muffling, etc for different environments) over occlusion, given how short most sounds play already. Oh, and adjustments for pitch/etc based on position (front/side/rear).

I'd prefer environmental effects on sound (reverb, muffling, etc for different environments) over occlusion, given how short most sounds play already. Oh, and adjustments for pitch/etc based on position (front/side/rear).

Thanks mate :o I meant occlusion not ambient occlusion

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNPs3mLtnmqfBth8ZHDCjKWFojFcvVbNcoesIcsgRNnAvLfLWPKA

So when will we see (or actually hear in this case) some new VON fixes and features in the dev branch?

The AH-99's HE rounds have no sound on impact... Can anyone confirm this?