loyalguard

AEG - ArmA Electrical Grids Script Pack and Addon for ArmA 3

As I hinted in a few other threads and continuing a tradition since A1, I am porting and enhancing my ArmA Electrical Grids (AEG) simulation to A3. I have basic functionality working on Stratis thanks to some amazing island analytic techniques pioneered by Wolffy.au. BUT, in the current Alpha (0.56) the ability to switch street lamps on and off is not yet implemented, so there is nothing tangible to release just yet. In the meantime, I have been focusing on making the simulation more efficient and including features not available in previous versions. What features you ask?

For each successive ArmA game release, I have tried to enhance the simulation. For A3 the big changes are going to be the addition of renewable power sources (solar, wind, and wave). So far in game in the Alpha we have all seen plenty of solar (photovoltaic) objects:

Buildings with Photovoltaic (Solar) Panels on Rooftops:

PVPanels.jpg

Photovoltaic Transformers:

PVTransformer.jpg

Through screenshots and other hints online and in game (and in the real life islands that have inspired Altis and Stratis), I expect there to be wind and wave power-related objects as well. So, the challenge has been how to realistically add these to the simulation. So far I am quite please with the results. I have been able to "connect" solar panels on building rooftops to nearby photovoltaic transformers (in real life these would actually be a solar inverters/transformers) that in turn provide power (assuming it is not dark or too overcast!) to nearby street lamps and other objects too! What kind of objects? Well...

In the previous versions of the simulation (SEG (A1), CEG (A2), and AEG A2/OA) only street lamps were controlled by the grid. Ever since A1 and Sahrani, it has been requested and I have wanted to include lighthouses, airport runways, and other light sources. For A3, I have found a way to turn off lighthouses, runway edge lights, and airport VASI lights by damaging them so they are inoperational. There are some small unintended consequences (breaking glass sound in the lighthouse and puffs of smoke on runways), but none that spoil the overall effect.

Here is a quick video of the progress so far showing lighthouses on and off and then runway/VASI lights on and off:

(Please excuse poor quality - game and video settings have been optimized for development -- not rendering)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiVulpUw7zg

As noted above, if it is dark (sun is not up) or if it is overcast enough to possibly rain, solar panels will not generate power. Even though there is not much of a connected electrical grid represented on Stratis so far, I have included a "virtual grid" that provides backup power to solar inverters/transformers so they still provide power at night or when cloudy. But, if both are down: no power! Since there are also commands to monitor wind strength and wave strength, I will look to incorporate these as well when calculating power output from wind and waves power generators.

I will post updates as they occur, in the meantime, please provide feedback on what you want to see in AEG for A3!

Update #1 - 5/11/2013

Here is a preview video of the remote logon system to control the grid that is available if enabled by the mission maker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGohtbmxFI8

Update #2 - 5/13/2013

Preview video of the password logon feature with failed facial recognition sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pZ212PfkAQ

Update # 3 - 5/23/2013

Preview video showing new scripted light effects adding red warning lights to airport control towers and communications and transmitter towers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwOCowXnU3E

Edited by Loyalguard
Update #3 - New Light Effect Videos
  • Like 3

Awesome: 1) This. 2) The creator

References: Webster's Dictionary.

Glad to see this return in Arma 3. :)

Would it be a cool idea to add a piece of equipment to the game, some sort of tablet/ laptop that you need to use near the powergenerators to hack the system and turn it on/ off? it's the future after all. :D

@Chapple - Thanks!

@ItsThomas - I did have that feature in CEG and AEG for A2, but only for Chernarus since it required a custom GUI. I did not expand it to other islands because the GUI alone took me over 40 manhours to create since it used resources customized for Chernarus. That being said, I am looking into "remote logon" as a possible option for the A3 version and I have some ideas of how I can do it without having to create a custom GUI for each island. I will keep you posted as it progresses.

You know Loyalguard, I give nine months from A3 release date until someone has integrated your solution into a mod (which eventually becomes a stand-alone game) that allows citybuilding on Arma 3 maps. A blend of Banished, Sim City, Caesar and all else a man may fancy. Good work!

As I mentioned in response to ItsThomas, I have the remote logon system ported over from Chernarus and adapted so that it will work for every island eventually supported by AEG automatically. Click on a electrical grid node on the left to see a description of it, see its location on the map (automatically), and if operational connect or disconnect it from the grid by clicking on the appropriate button. See the first post for a link to a preview video.

As I mentioned in response to ItsThomas, I have the remote logon system ported over from Chernarus and adapted so that it will work for every island eventually supported by AEG automatically. Click on a electrical grid node on the left to see a description of it, see its location on the map (automatically), and if operational connect or disconnect it from the grid by clicking on the appropriate button. See the first post for a link to a preview video.

I know this may not be related, but do you think making a system like that in ArmA III will make it possible to just do the same in ArmA II?

@Foffy - I can make no promises, but after initial release for A3, I will look at how much effort would be required to backwards-port the same capability to AEG A2. The custom dialog uses commands that are available in A2/OA, but I would still have to make some significant changes to the core of the simulation to make it work. I will let you know how as thing develop. Thanks for suggesting it.

See first post for a new update (#2) and another video. Like in the A2 version, I have added the mission maker option to require players to use a password (mission maker chooses the password) to access the grid control system. In keeping with A3 taking place a few decades from now, before a player enters the password, the system attempts to use facial recognition to authenticate access. It is just for show to increase immersion, but it is a neat effect and another example of using the new PiP feature to display a live image on screen (in this case in a dialog). It still needs some tweaking such as hiding the player's view between the logon screen and the system screen and of course there are no computer objects yet in game so I am "logging in" from a cash register, but is fully functional otherwise.

Edited by Loyalguard

This will no doubt once again mature into a very neat little feature opening some new and unique gameplay objectives and tactics. Nice work! Especially being able to shutdown the bloody lighthouses!

See first post for a new update video (#3). I had noticed that none of the airport, communications, or transmitter towers had warning lights on them (at least in the Alpha -- I know there is still a lot of lighting work in progress) so I added some red light sources to them that can be controlled by the grid. These are scripted only and do not involve config or model changes. The light settings still need a lot of tweaking (brightness, ambient, etc.) but I am not going to do too much with them until the lighting is more finalized. Again, my video settings are optimized for development, not rendering.

EDIT.

And......of course less than an hout after I post my update adding lights to towers BIS has done it organically!!!!!!!!! No worries, I am happy to see them officially in game. I can easily adjust the code to turn theirs on and off to to get the best of both worlds!

Edited by Loyalguard

Any chance of implementing EW weapons such as the CBU-94/BLU-114/B "Soft-Bomb"? Basically weapons that are designed to take out electrical substations and shut down the grid? These currently exist, and one could extend it to include EMP weapons (implemented in a realistic way and enabled only by the mission maker).

Great to see LoyalGuard - I'm really glad I was able to assist. Can't wait to give it a try and integrate into our new mod!

I know it has been several months since I have provided an update. Rest assured, work continues. I had to take a several month break this summer for personal reasons, but have been working diligently since the 1.0 release to try to provide a realistic yet practical implementation of AEG for A3. I do not need to tell anyone here how massive Altis is in comparison with previous ArmA worlds. Previous versions of AEG only had to work with dozens of objects. The A3 version has hundreds to consider. I am trying to model the grid so it is realistic, easy to interact with, not overly resource intensive on server and client CPUs, and bug free. The macros I have created to automatically plot out electrical grids is helping tremendously, but there is still a lot of tweaking required to make it practical. More updates soon!

I can't wait either! Looking forward to it. I've had a mission as a WIP for Arma 2 for a LONG time (almost 2 years) but really needed Arma 3 to put it where it needs to be. Ace / ACRE for Arma 2 did more for it, but it still didn't have all the bells and whistles I wanted and needed for the mission to perform the way I had intended. Hopefully Arma 3 will grant me that wish and with the AEG, it will make it all the better. :D Good luck and looking forward to seeing it released.

This is amazing, cant wait till release as i have already a hundred uses for it :D Though ill work on doing my own simple version , if i make any head room ill send you my findings.

Stay Frosty

Agreed...easily one of my favorite add-ons for ArmA 2

Edited by XMDM

Is there a way to disable a building's power/lights, like an EMP, graphite bomb, or command to cut the power?