Sign in to follow this  
-=seany=-

Not liking the new Fatigue system - Jogging should not be penalised

Blacking out shouldn't be in-game no matter what.

well good thing it isn't then.

Lets be honest. I saw that movie Forrest Gump and that guy ran across the United States like 4 times and he didn't get tired, real life story.

Anyway I think the system they currently have in, as already stated, should be a little more lenient. I mean I understand there is a certain necessity to have a believable system in place but do you also realize there are many soldiers in the field that have the ability to do much more than the limitations allow for us to do in this game. I'm just tired of a blurry screen when I'm trying to run across the map in wasteland (yes wasteland). And lets be honest trying to be all super mil sim in wasteland is pretty pointless, It's just a glorified death match.

On another note, on missions/coop I do see fatigue effects to be a positive thing. But you don't want to make the ramifications overboard. Once again there are plenty of special forces soldiers that hike multiple miles in and out of an operation area (not saying that they don't periodically rest) but they are exceptionally fit and have that ability to maintain a pace. So people can do this in real life, thus the "blur after 500m is real" is a bunch of BS. Of course running 5 miles with 100lbs of gear on your back is not possible either but you have to have reasonable levels of enacting fatigue for different weights. More leniency is a good thing here too in regards to what we currently have.

I just think most of you guys that are hardcore "I want to poop in an army porta-john before a mission" mil sim fanatics, need to gauge down what you consider important. Not because its not important to you, but rather that it's not important to everyone outside of your "elite" group. I do like the mil sim parts of this game but it is a game regardless of what you want it to be. And with mods you can mess up/improve the game to your hearts content ( I hear even dayz added toilet paper, maybe even the lotiony kind). But a lot of people want to enjoy the game for what it is.

Last but not least this is not coming from a CoD or battlefield fanboy or anything of the sort. Just a fan of the arma series and I want to see this game shine.

/end rant LOL

ps yeah i has low post count ... get at me :p :cool:

If the blur is too much then just force walking when you get severely fatigued.:rolleyes:

I actually don't find the blur too much, but then again "edges of the screen dimming" is enough to get me to think "lemme go find cover and scan the horizon so that I can get my sprinting back!" In contrast, I value the lack of forced-walk as opposed to forced-jog/temporarily-unavailable-sprint, since the "tactical incentive" of regaining sprint is enough incentive to manually switch to walk... well, that, and right now I manually switch to walk simply in hopes of getting my avatar to stop breathing so loudly. :lol:

I don't know why the overnerfed sprinting so much now. You literally can't sprint for more than 5 seconds

Cos they are trying too hard to force an effect to make the game feel "realistic". Subtle is the key.

Anyone who has every run or done phys routinely knows its about controlling your breathing and not coughing swallowing gulping panting etc as soon as you do that you have to start on your breathing rhythm all over again.

Currently i find it a little embarrassing listening to BIS's impersonation of tiredness lol I now play in third person view so i don't have to listen to it.

But, its part of a bigger system that i think is awful, my trained solider walks and moves like a delta force robot but cant control his weapon when he fires it, he can only hold his breath to keep the scope steady for around 7 seconds, and when he gets to the end of his breath he breathes out like hes got sleep apnea.

I find it funny how nothing that has been talked here bothers me. I'm actually ok with the blur, the coughing and even the short sprint (It's not 5 seconds btw). Keep testing, BIS.

Cos they are trying too hard to force an effect to make the game feel "realistic". Subtle is the key.

No it's more like "so the dude put on an antimateriel sniper rifle, a rocket launcher and a backpack filled with heavy rockets and satchels and can jog around forever blowing stuff up like nothing bothers him? We will make edges of screen darken a bit - that will totally teach him!"

They are not trying hard enough. Although the screenshot attached to that ticket says more than any words.

No it's more like "so the dude put on an antimateriel sniper rifle, a rocket launcher and a backpack filled with heavy rockets and satchels and can jog around forever blowing stuff up like nothing bothers him? We will make edges of screen darken a bit - that will totally teach him!"

They are not trying hard enough. Although the screenshot attached to that ticket says more than any words.

I understand if speed lowers with more items, but even if you only have a pistol you still can't sprint as long as you should. I mean, really? I thought they were professional soldiers, and they should be able to sprint for more than 6 seconds.

In A3 I can sprint for at least 100m with normal loadout, that seems pretty realistic to me

Sprint is pushing yourself to the limit, you already run when you jog.

Plus my argument there isn't about light loadouts it's about BIS not willing to penalize people right. Blur and darkened edges and worse aim will totally stop NLAW's auto-aim or dude hitting 'prone' key almost completely eliminating whatever aiming shake there was to shoot with his sniper rifle

I think that tiredness should go beyond 'no sprinting', with too much load it should eventually not allow you to jog anymore.

But no blacking out, that is just annoying.

My experience with the system as it has been so far has been mostly positive, though I do think we can carry too much without enough of a penalty.

Problem is the walk animation looks so relaxed and would not fit with a walking due to exhaustion.

I really hate the current screen blur when you run too much. It's over the top. Just force back to a walk when you are exhausted. It makes it tedious to play a videogame when you are getting eye strain every 30 seconds because the screen keeps fading in and out when you run.

The coughing is all perfectly fine and is a good addition to the game. Please do remove the blur addition to the game BIS :)

Coughing is semi ok but it more simulates sheer exhaustion than out of breath so i believe it should kick in much later in the fatigue scale.

Less said the gulping and dry mouth sounds the better, they are just plain creepy when they are right in your ear. How come BIS can create a beautiful detailed gulp and swallow sound yet over drive the balls out of weapons sounds :p

What? Jog for more than 5 minutes with 100 lbs. Wait, you probably can't.

The thing here, is Arma has and still is a REALISTIC GAME, not a SIMULATOR. This is one of those cases where realism is just annoying and could be given up for fun. At the least they could make our sights sway WAY more than they do now when you're exhausted.

The thing here, is Arma has and still is a REALISTIC GAME, not a SIMULATOR. This is one of those cases where realism is just annoying and could be given up for fun. At the least they could make our sights sway WAY more than they do now when you're exhausted.

This is very good and quite effective way to make people be more wary of their breathing.I also feel that when you go prone you catch your breath way too quick.

Going up\down hill make you tired toooooooo fast.

This is one of those cases where realism is just annoying and could be given up for fun.

I don't find it annoying at all. Actually, I even came to like the fatigue system... People are just bitching because now they have to stop derp running for 10 seconds in their wasteland servers to catch a breath.

The thing here, is Arma has and still is a REALISTIC GAME, not a SIMULATOR.

And the difference is?

This is one of those cases where realism is just annoying and could be given up for fun.

I find fatigue fun. But I don't find it fun enough because it's not punishing enough. If ArmA is no fun for you why play it?

Going up\down hill make you tired toooooooo fast.

Try running up the steep hill IRL with a load on your back. You wouldn't be able to, will have to walk. But in ArmA3 you can run up 80 degree slope which is already ridiculous.

People are just bitching because now they have to stop derp running for 10 seconds in their wasteland servers to catch a breath.

So spot on.

Better go whine at a mission maker to provide you with transports or disable fatigue with a simple command since BIS seems to be determined to let fatigue penalty stay.

I just wish it was harsher.

Edited by metalcraze

Still this topic looms and with what seems to be a lot of arm chair operators. I know and have read of many men and women acheiving increadible physical feats, and I've seen men with the heaviest of kit tackle some unbelievably big hills and have ran at a brisk'ish pace to the top all it takes is a little grit. A little light reading of somthing like SAS Selection/Navyseal/FFL any kind of top teir related books for that fact will show you that men can run for miles with kit if their conditioned to do so and repeatedly do it.

Fitness is not how fast you can acheive somthing but howyou pace your self and how many times you can do it.

You sound like you do cross fit, ive seen that same explanation of fitness. Sorry to go off topic.

Problem is the walk animation looks so relaxed and would not fit with a walking due to exhaustion.

In OFP, ArmA1 and ArmA2 the sprinting animation would gradually slow down to jogging speeds if you got tired enough, i would like to see that slow down to walking speeds (same for jogging).

In OFP, ArmA1 and ArmA2 the sprinting animation would gradually slow down to jogging speeds if you got tired enough, i would like to see that slow down to walking speeds (same for jogging).

Are you sure? I have never noticed any restriction or slowing down of sprint or jogging speed in OFP/Arma1/Arma2. You can jog or run forever in these games. The only thing added was in the Arma2/OA era, where they included a post process wavey screen effect when you sprinted for a long time.