when its sunny and no clouds all shadows look amazing, but when forecast is cloudy has clouds rain fog, cars , helicopters , solders dont have any shadow . you dont need to add full model shadow like in sunny day but you need to add soft shadow under the car or helicopter like old games had those circle shadows under them. game becomes little ugly when its rainy / cloudy.

• Like 1

Ambient occlusion :) This could most easily be achieved (IMO) by casting a shadow straight down, reducing it's density, and blurring it. I agree that it would look great. :)

Ambient occlusion :) This could most easily be achieved (IMO) by casting a shadow straight down, reducing it's density, and blurring it. I agree that it would look great. :)

Hmmm... I thought... Arma 3 already has ambient occlusion...?

It sure seems like it to me, lol.

when its sunny yes , but when its very cloudy forecast , no shadows at all. put a car on road in editor and you will see under car road is same color as if there wasnt a car at all, and also car itself is bright with no shadows.

Turn on ambient occlusion (post processing to max) and you will see your shadows under the car

The problem is that you will also turn on crappy DOF and blur.

It would be odd if there is no ambient occlusion when the sun isn't shining since on overcast days there is only ambient light.

Turn on ambient occlusion (post processing to max) and you will see your shadows under the car

The problem is that you will also turn on crappy DOF and blur.

Then maybe the solution would be to make it a shadow property and not a post-process. But then the problem arises about how to handle the transition from sun-shadow to occlusion-shadow, at some point there would be a mixture of both, which would double the shadow processing for that time.

Edited by DMarkwick

arma2 have shadows still on full overcast. In arma3 there is no shadow at all with overcast slider at 55+. Maybe realistic but not nice :-P