Sign in to follow this  
oxmox

Hungry Planet - What the world eats

Hungry World - what the world eats

Interesting images about type of food a family eats around the world.

GERMANY

7tCp79v.jpg

FRANCE

vzI3vyH.jpg

ITALY

02.jpg

USA

rgg9pmo.jpg

USA II

11.jpg

Great Britain

Ftif1zs.jpg

CHAD

03.jpg

GUATEMALA

8Wbq60z.jpg

MALI

kFtOnWD.jpg

Edited by oxmox

ECUADOR

10.jpg

EGYPT

09.jpg

CHINA

Vp90fMy.jpg

JAPAN

01.jpg

BHUTAN

14.jpg

CANADA

What_The_World_Eats_Canada.jpg

AUSTRALIA

What_The_World_Eats_Australia.jpg

Edited by oxmox

When you look at those pictures with attention (France vs USA for example), that's very informing (BTW, we don't eat cats :party:)

When you look at those pictures with attention (France vs USA for example), that's very informing (BTW, we don't eat cats :party:)

UK seem to eat a product called Go-Cat tho (I'm sure that's pedigree chum next to it)? German table looks like it's 25% alcohol! As a cannibal it's interesting to note that all 4 food groups are available in each country and I will never starve.

Edited by Mattar_Tharkari

UK seem to eat a product called Go-Cat tho (I'm sure that's pedigree chum next to it)? German table looks like it's 25% alcohol! As a cannibal it's interesting to note that all 4 food groups are available in each country and I will never starve.
Beer is not considered alcohol in germany. It's liquid bread and still listed in basic foods.That's why you can get beer in germany with parental permission aged 14 and fully legal by your own aged 16.

Australia (and our somewhat similar sister country Canada) seems about right, Fresh foods sort of half way between US / GB (lots of processed) and 2nd/3rd world countries with lots of fresh (and little choice).

And the softdrink situation (whole window sill !! ) is unfortunately the norm. Its clear these days that shit will kill you.

Gnat;2388581']Australia (and our somewhat similar sister country Canada) seems about right' date=' Fresh foods sort of half way between US / GB (lots of processed) and 2nd/3rd world countries with lots of fresh (and little choice).

And the softdrink situation (whole window sill !! ) is unfortunately the norm. Its clear these days that shit will kill you.[/quote']

you forgot the carton of longbeach smokes and winnie blue rollies ontop of the water. :cool:

you forgot the carton of longbeach smokes and winnie blue rollies ontop of the water. :cool:

LOL ... missed them. Yep, more food replacements that will kill you !

Well im from UK and dont touch any of the crap in that image :) Im down with Guatamala. I have to say though family and friends can have "that cupboard" put by to store piles of complete processed fatty shiny packet things and proceed to unload it to you on visits and when you leave ... hard task to say no to them on the way out :)

I smiled a bit when i scrolled down the the USA pic, in the first couple of pictures most colors come from fresh fruit and vegetables, then that picture came a long with a wealth of vibrant colors, most of it fastfood. :p

Thanks for sharing. I miss a Dutch mountain of cheese, but i guess my diet would be mostly comparable to the German one.

EDIT: Do you have some larger versions?

Germany needs more beers and oven pizzas imho

France, totally shocking only one bottle of wine?!

Guatemala seems to be the only healthy country.

Australia, BBQ time!

Not sure how the images are representative for every family, but you will probably notice some type of food you consume every week. Maybe the images represent aswell some type of cliche, but we have a lot of people from different nations here and they will maybe write about it.

Germany needs more oven pizzas imho

The best pizza is found in italian pizzeria handmade and wood-fired.:bounce3: .....so delicious. Not the ones made with an electro oven.

Iam sure that a german family with 2 children isnt drinking 4 bottles of whine or that much beer in a short time, otherwise you would be an alcoholic. But the shown type of food for Germany seems to be right on average, of course this varies from family to family. In France and Italy, people love to drink wine, its a big culture in such countries, but you dont see many bottles aswell on the images. Allegedly the images represent the consume of ONE WEEK, I doubt this and look rather on the type of food instead of the amount.

The images from Australia, USA and UK did shock me a bit. USA & UK a lot of junk food and Australia huge amount of meat. It is interesting that Canada looks quiete different in comparison to the USA. The biggest issue but well known is of course Africa, they suffer.

Neverless, the pictures are very interesting. I like the image from Guatemala and Egypt aswell, the fresh vegetable looks nice. Hopefully no genetic engeneering or other junk we eat in our industrial societies.

Do you have some larger versions?

no sorry, the images were posted in a different forum but you can easy find more images if you search with google "what the world eats".

Here are two links with some more countries, the posted images seem to be all from this source:

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1626519,00.html

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1645016,00.html

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

TURKEY

hungry_planet_10.jpg

GREENLAND

hungry_planet_09.jpg

INDIA

hungry_planet_04.jpg

LUXEMBOURG

hungry_planet_03.jpg

MEXICO

06.jpg

KUWAIT

04.jpg

POLAND

08.jpg

MONGOLIA

12.jpg

Edited by oxmox

Iam sure that a german family with 2 children isnt drinking 4 bottles of whine or that much beer in a short time, otherwise you would be an alcoholic.

Nobody in germany would consider someone an alcoholic for the usual 2 0.33L bottles of Beer a day per person. But wine...especialyl french one...that raises suspicions in the neighbourhood.

Nobody in germany would consider someone an alcoholic for the usual 2 0.33L bottles of Beer a day per person.

I would say a family would have a problem with alcohol if two person are drinking 4 bottles of wine and that amount of beer in a week shown on the image. They are not doing a party or are on holidays.

Edited by oxmox

I would say someone would have a problem with alcohol if two person are drinking 4 bottles of whine and that amount of beer in a week.
Uhm...!? As I told you...Beer is not really considered a alcoholic beverage in germany... you can get it aged 16.

And I#m sure that my typical "diet" consisting of Dr.Oetker oven Pizza and Köstrizer Schwarzbier is far better than Burgers and Coke.

Edited by Beagle

Uhm...!? As I told you...Beer is not really considered a alcoholic beverage in germany... you can get it aged 16.

Simply not true. And neither is the picture true - i dont know a single representative family consuming that much alcohol.

Beer is an alcoholic beverage and in germany you can get, aged 16, besides beer aswell whine...*uh i mean wine and champagne. You can drink these types of beverages if you are at least aged 14 with the permission of your legal guardian (parents). You only can buy drinks with high percentage alcohol i.e. spirits aged 18 aswell drinks like alcopops.

:bounce3:

@kavoven

Thats why I thought, I rather look on the type of food on the images instead of the allegedly amount for a week. A family with 6 persons in CHAD would have problems to survive a week with just this single bottle of water like shown on the image....

Edited by oxmox

Simply not true. And neither is the picture true - i dont know a single representative family consuming that much alcohol.

Not every week, but it does happen occasionally.

I would say a family would have a problem with alcohol if two person are drinking 4 bottles of wine and that amount of beer in a week shown on the image.

Pussy, that's lunch. ;)

Thanks for the original links, quite fun to read what their favorite good is, Narwhal sounds nice..

The best pizza is found in italian pizzeria handmade and wood-fired.:bounce3: .....so delicious. Not the ones made with an electro oven.

Wasn´t saying that the good stuff wouldn´t taste better, it´s just that we eat the filthy shit more :D

^^ Seven beers equal one Schnitzel.

Hence beer must be food, end of story :D

nice thread, keep posting more screens across world ...

I couldn't help looking at Luxembourg and thinking .... "They rear there own animals to eat, nice .... but, what .. please .... not the dog!? What happened to her in the picture!!!???". The chap holding the dog does look like he could chow down on a bit of that pup when hes good and ready.

Germany, mum does not look like shes happy with the family's consuming habbits.

:)

The views on alcohol are interesting. Some view it lesser in certain countries but for the UK (not everyone but teens to 30's) its like a madhouse to get hammered more often than not, so that's probably why it gets looked at like a cynic.

*sigh*

Guys, the pictures weren't meant just to show what the average family eats, it also had the total cost for all the food in each picture. It's a Time magazine slideshow of images that are included in a book.

Original: http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1626519,00.html

The book the images are from: http://www.amazon.com/Hungry-Planet-What-World-Eats/dp/0984074422/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368903073&sr=1-1&keywords=hungry+planet%3A+What+the+world+eats

Also, the photographer who took them: http://www.menzelphoto.com/

i would eat those 2 cute girls from picture "France", and i would hug a cat :)

what Poles eat :

- dumplings (with: cabbage and mushroom, strawberry, pork sliced meat, potatoes and onion),

- bread and ham or sausage,

- meat in cake, we call it "schabowy", it is flattened by hammer part of ham, than cooked with cake from breadcrumbs and egg,

something similar to what KFC is doing with chickens, but we do it with hammered pork meat (it must be slim, flat),

- chopped/sliced meat with breadcrumbs as "mielony" ,

- borscht soup from red beet/beetroot,

- we love cucumbers as well, cucumbers in cream or yogurt or kefir,

- salad from beetroot with horseradish,

- sometimes herring in oil and onion,

- we also do soups from mushrooms,

- we do soups with spagetti pasta and fat/oil from chicken calling it "rosol",

generally Poles cook soups , meat and we use bread very often (which i heard is not very often used in the world),

i do not know how soups are popular in world , also world has one word for "mushroom", we have dozens of words for dozens of different fungi types ,

in my family breadcrumbs are necessary to cook meat , we call it "kotlet" , kotlet (cot-let) is meat composed/glued with egg, breadcrumbs into form which is later fried in oil, for me such meat is better than "just meat"

http://www.poliszkuchnia.republika.pl/obrazy/Kotlet.jpg

this is typical Polish dinner - meat "schabowy" in breadrumbs cake, potatoes and cucumbers,

most popular meat here is pork, most popular vegetables are potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, red beets,

we eat bread, some cakes like apple pie etc. yes, apple pie is very common here,

most popular fruits are apples, pears and ... imported banana, banana is very popular and people love it, also i eat banana in cake,

as well we have "traditional" food like for example rotten/sour cabbage, rotten/sour cucumbers (prepared by families in jars, better do-yourself than from shop)

we have also tradition to make some food ourselves instead of buying, for example some families do fruit jams themselves, my family make strawberry jam, those sour cucumbers, pears etc.

Edited by vilas