Sign in to follow this  
ChineseFood

Rifle damage

Well, in real life a serious wound pretty much gets you out of fight, for days or forever, so staying longer and more complicated to patch a wound is not really more "realistic". At a practical level, I could see myself what happened, everybody was filling their backpacks with medical stuff and spent most of the time patching each other. I agree with "infinite medic supplies" though.

Everyone is not a medic, everyone is training in first responder type situations. Taking away the need for medics/PJ's/Corpsmen pretty much delete a huge aspect of this video game. The fact is that with a proper plan and proper execution you are rewarded. With poor planning and and bad tactics you should not be rewarded with the ability to just patch up and try again. Medivac, CSAR are two mission sets that will be eliminated if you have a simple re patch button. You were seriously doing it wrong if everyone in your team was carrying medical supplies and constantly just kept patching each other up. We took pride in our ability to have 2 medics working on a player alternating what treatment they are conducting and knowing why they are doing it, it really is a beautiful sight to see.

It should boil down to basic trauma medicine; big bleeds, respiratory/cardiac injuries, and head injuries are the most serious. The game should simulate this.

Depending on what happens, you can treat some things relatively effectively using some basic medical kit:

Say you get a round that tears straight through your femoral artery; there is a damn good chance you will bleed out in 5 or so minutes. Sticking a CAT Torniquet on and a FFD will generally keep someone ticking over for a while. If you can use a HemCon pad or a sachet of QuikClot, all the better. Then, you need to be evacuated - 5 minutes ago - onto a trauma surgeons table.

A small frag laceration to the arm will bloody hurt, but it can be fairly effectively treated using the contents of an IFAK (Infantry First Aid Kit) with a FFD, and won't require instant evacuation from the battlefield. Sure, your aim might go a bit squiffy, and it will need looking at, but unless you're really unlucky, you should be fine.

My 2 cents; if you are shot in the chest and start bleeding, step on a mine/IED, or any other major trauma, you will need more than the average IFAK contents to keep you alive - bring in the CMT/PJ/Corpsman to stabilise the casualty and prep them. You are effectively out of the firefight. You won't be able to treat yourself much more than put a tourniquet/FFD on and scream for a medic.

If you are 10m from a frag grenade going off and catch a bit of shrapnel, it'll fucking hurt and your aim will go; you may even get thrown onto your backside, but you can break out a FFD and sort yourself out enough to keep on fighting until its safe to see a medic.

Differing calibre of round is a whole other kettle of fish; 7.62mm rounds will take off limbs at close range, and I don't want to open that particular can of worms on this thread!