Sign in to follow this  
TheBoat

My first mission (Only about 1/3 the way done) video of a WIP

Sorry about the quality guys, I wasn't able to render in 720p or 1080p this time. Here's the mission, it's my first mission, and it's only about 1/3rd the way done. How does it look?

Looks interesting keep it up.

Here is a command to have the squad start in the car if you want. These are arma 2 commands but should still work.

{_x assignAsCargo nameofthevehicle} foreach units group nameofunit;

{_x moveinCargo nameofthevehicle} foreach units group nameofunit;

Also, Jester814 has some youtube tutorial videos you may want to use.

Create a file called "description.ext" in the folder of your mission.

Then add this.

//=== Mission Details  ========================================
author = "TheBoat";
onLoadName = "TheBoats Awesome First Mission";
onLoadMission = "Survive the onslaught of the first ever TheBoats Awesome Mission!";

//=== Startup ========================================
Saving=0; // Set this to 0 until you have finished editing the mission.

//=== Respawn Values =========================================
respawn="base"; // Respawn where you died. Unless you created a marker on the map called "Respawn_West";
respawndelay = 10; // Set Respawn time to 10 seconds. Change it to suit the respawn time you want.

Now create a file called init.sqf

And add these.

if ((!isServer) && (player != player)) then
{
 waitUntil {player == player};
};
// Delete dead bodies after 3 minutes.
{_x addeventhandler ["killed",{
_this spawn {_unit = _this select 0; sleep 180; deletevehicle _unit};
}];
} forEach allUnits;

Looks interesting keep it up.

Here is a command to have the squad start in the car if you want. These are arma 2 commands but should still work.

{_x assignAsCargo nameofthevehicle} foreach units group nameofunit;

{_x moveinCargo nameofthevehicle} foreach units group nameofunit;

Also, Jester814 has some youtube tutorial videos you may want to use.

Yeah those are the tutorials I've used to learn all the tools and stuff, but I find it's very hard to learn scripting off his tutorials as he really doesn't have any on scripting. I'm very new to coding so I've got almost no experience with it. I've got to figure out arrays fully before I can really move on and be more creative. I also need to figure out how in the hell people make a script to respawn vehicles for example. Not that I want a script for it, but I see this guy on Armaholic who made one, and it has a custom array with custom variables etc. I reckon that's probably all rather advanced scripting but I learn pretty quickly so I think within a month (I've dedicated lots of time already to learning syntax etc.) I should be able to do some more complicated stuff. Nothing on the level of Domination or anything though. Any recommendations for learning arrays better, and variables etc? I've tried Murreys (I think that's the name of it), but it doesn't really explain what the array means in the code or anything. And doesn't give examples in more complex scripts which bind together the If-then statements, or the for statements etc. If you would like a test version when I put it up on Armaholic just PM me on the forums and I'll reply with the link. If you do play it, I'd recommend doing it with friends as bots can be frustrating, however, send me your feedback and any issues you find with it.

Create a file called "description.ext" in the folder of your mission.

Then add this.

//=== Mission Details  ========================================
author = "TheBoat";
onLoadName = "TheBoats Awesome First Mission";
onLoadMission = "Survive the onslaught of the first ever TheBoats Awesome Mission!";

//=== Startup ========================================
Saving=0; // Set this to 0 until you have finished editing the mission.

//=== Respawn Values =========================================
respawn="base"; // Respawn where you died. Unless you created a marker on the map called "Respawn_West";
respawndelay = 10; // Set Respawn time to 10 seconds. Change it to suit the respawn time you want.

Now create a file called init.sqf

And add these.

if ((!isServer) && (player != player)) then
{
 waitUntil {player == player};
};
// Delete dead bodies after 3 minutes.
{_x addeventhandler ["killed",{
_this spawn {_unit = _this select 0; sleep 180; deletevehicle _unit};
}];
} forEach allUnits;

Thanks for the help man, may I ask what saving=0 does? Also, if you're interested in testing the mission (I plan to put a test version of it which will end rather abruptly up on Armaholic soon) shoot me a PM, it's Co-op so if you want you can play it with your mates, there's 6 player slots in total (5 infantrymen, 1 transport pilot, but I may remove the transport pilot, not sure yet). If you do play it, I'd recommend doing it with friends as bots can be frustrating, however, send me your feedback and any issues you find with it.

saving =0; prevents you being able to save. It's useful while developing and testing a mission not having the game state saved every time you quit out.

With regard to scripting, have a look at this.

Arma-3-Scripting-Tutorial-For-Noobs

saving =0; prevents you being able to save. It's useful while developing and testing a mission not having the game state saved every time you quit out.

With regard to scripting, have a look at this.

Arma-3-Scripting-Tutorial-For-Noobs

Thank you very much. I've ready only a little of this and I'm already understanding it a lot better.

Nice. Is this going to be single-player or co-op?

I'd be interested in both, but I'm always looking for co-op missions I can play with just a few people (there have only been two of us, so far).

Good luck!