Sign in to follow this  
gravedancer

AI accuracy fix

Before any of the over zealous jump all over me and say "search" already have.

Im running a heavily modded version of Raveks AW domination on a dedicated server (Great job Ravek), but the AI are unrealistic. I have searched all the forums for a fix and I find rumors of a fix but never any directions on how to do this.

is there a script out there or a step by step method to fix the issue?

Do you mean Rarek from Ahoy World ? We're running that with a few changes including AI behaviour scripts.

Have a look at Zeu_serverskill > http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=20002

Use it with TPWCAS > http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19467

Both of them work great together :) AI can be as smart or as dumb as you want with some randomness to it, Suppression works really well and causes the AI to flee or hide when shot at, change the default settings to suit your needs.

For example in tpwcas_init.sqf you can change it so the AI react to 1 shot rather than needing 5 fired at them to react.

Have a try on our server and you can see the difference, AI can be nasty, sneaky little shits :p

Hi,

in what sense are they unrealistic?

Have you tried to scale the AI difficulty?

Whats the performance of your dedicated server?

Principally what I noticed in the arma series: More Power == Smarter/better AI.

• Like 1

Do you mean Rarek from Ahoy World ? We're running that with a few changes including AI behaviour scripts.

Have a look at Zeu_serverskill > http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=20002

Use it with TPWCAS > http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19467

Both of them work great together :) AI can be as smart or as dumb as you want with some randomness to it, Suppression works really well and causes the AI to flee or hide when shot at, change the default settings to suit your needs.

For example in tpwcas_init.sqf you can change it so the AI react to 1 shot rather than needing 5 fired at them to react.

Have a try on our server and you can see the difference, AI can be nasty, sneaky little shits :p

Rarek, yes my bad. Thanks i will check it out.

---------- Post added at 14:17 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

Hi,

in what sense are they unrealistic?

Have you tried to scale the AI difficulty?

Whats the performance of your dedicated server?

Principally what I noticed in the arma series: More Power == Smarter/better AI.

Laser accuracy, insta spot, these are dynamically spawned ai so i cant adjust the slider.

what you are looking for is this

{

_x setSkill ["aimingspeed", 0.1];

_x setSkill ["spotdistance", 0.1];

_x setSkill ["aimingaccuracy", 0.1];

_x setSkill ["aimingshake", 0.1];

_x setSkill ["spottime", 0.1];

} forEach allUnits;

put it inside the init.sqf of the mission. be aware that these values are extreme to show you that there is a difference. tweak them upwards from there. i have great results leaving everything alone except aiming related stuff. you can tweak them to a state where their aim is much closer to human aim which is influenced by recoil A LOT more.

so just go for this

{

_x setSkill ["aimingspeed", 0.3];

_x setSkill ["aimingaccuracy", 0.3];

} forEach allUnits;

as an example that works good. but only trial and error will get you what you want.

i played on your server the other day. and while i agree that the AI's behaviour was very nice the aiming accuracy was still way unrealistic. it's not the fact that they can actually hit you but that they will head shot you from huge distances while you are just peaking your head over a ridge for a second.

don't get me wrong i like a challenge but that feels wrong to me. in close range? sure! but not long range. and while randomization will certainly result in better tweaked AI accuracy it will also result in aimbotting ones at the same time. so i don't see the point unless the range of accuracy that is randomized itself is being tweaked.

to each their own of course. just sharing my thoughts on the topic.

more possible values here http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setSkill_array

• Like 1

i played on your server the other day. and while i agree that the AI's behaviour was very nice the aiming accuracy was still way unrealistic. it's not the fact that they can actually hit you but that they will head shot you from huge distances while you are just peaking your head over a ridge for a second.

don't get me wrong i like a challenge but that feels wrong to me. in close range? sure! but not long range. and while randomization will certainly result in better tweaked AI accuracy it will also result in aimbotting ones at the same time. so i don't see the point unless the range of accuracy that is randomized itself is being tweaked.

to each their own of course. just sharing my thoughts on the topic.

more possible values here http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setSkill_array

Thanks for the feedback and we'll look into tweaking them again :)

Our server is usually full so we opted for the harder but less enemy approach rather than loads of dumb AI ... It's tricky getting the right balance.

We've been more focused on changing the rest of the scenario like adding a 4th helicopter, mobile HQs, forward operating bases etc

Should we continue this via PM or better yet join our forum ? Just so we don't hijack GraveDancers thread.

Personally I was looking for some kind of "grunt" feeling for the base troops and after much testing, I ended up with this:

aimingAccuracy: 0.3

aimingShake: 0.5

aimingSpeed: 0.3

spotDistance: 0.5

spotTime: 0.5

courage: 0.5

commanding: 0.5

general: 0.4

endurance: 0.5

reloadSpeed: 0.5

This allows for base troops that will not one shot people out of nowhere usually, but still offer decent resistance overall due to numbers usually. Note that this is ONLY viable if you have some kind of scripts that allows AIs to move cleverly inside buildings and whatnot. If you don't, this will end up in an all nighters snipe fest.

The ONLY issue I have so far with this is the first shot. No matter what, be it 0 skill or 1 skill, standing, while running, with any weapon, the FIRST shot is ALWAYS ultra accurate. After that, things smooth down to their skill level. I have NO idea how to solve that first shot issue yet.

Please note that while these settings may seem "noobish", it's designed to allow players' heroics without punishing them too much. I wanted players to sometimes be able to do crazy shit and save the day, and that settings allows that here and there. By that I mean that you can sprint zigzag from one rock to another and have a chance to live through it, kill the guy who wiped out your team, then revive everyone. In the end, that's the fun I was looking for since I have players from a broad pool. Good shot will still be good, newbs (like myself) will have a chance to survive.

So far, apart from the issue I note above, the players feedback has been very good and it still offers decent challenge without feeling like you're going against aimbots. I have a server setting using 2000 default view, and I believe this plays on the calculations for AIs as well.

For commanders and spec ops (or any other very limited, specific, and few in number, units), I up mainly accuracy, shake, speed, courage and spottime but nothing over .6.

Also, while at it, anyone else noticed the issue I talked about? That first shot insane accuracy? I swear I saw a bug report at some point about it but can't find it anymore.

Edited by Twix