Sign in to follow this  
samsamm777

Why are we not seeing new A3 maps yet?

Are you allowed to create comtent for ArmA with a PE license of VBS2? I asked this question some years ago on the VBS2 boards but never got a final answer.

Speaking entirely unofficially, I'd say it's perfectly OK to use your VBS2 PE tools to create Arma-based stuff... In fact, I know of several PE owners who, after a bit of fuss, have managed to shoehorn their PE Tools into at least semi-working for Arma content production...

The main drawbacks are...

The VBS2 tools are, of course, totally aligned towards VBS2 content - there's a fair bit of fuss and even some registry tweaking involved in getting them to work reasonably...

And you've already discovered the second drawback... VBS2 PE owners are pretty thin on the ground... VBS2 PE owners trying to use the tools for Arma purposes are practically non-existent, plus, of course, the VBS2 support staff are primarily concerned with answering VBS2 support questions, and TBH generally know bugger all about Arma, much less the specific requirements of Arma terrain modelling...

In other words - it's extremely unlikely that anyone will object if you manage to get your tools working for Arma, but it's considered an "unsupported usage", so official support or practical assistance is likely to be virtually zero...

Fortunately, I just happen to be a VBS2 Terrain Dev ;), so if you catch me when I'm off-duty, either by PM or on Skype, I'll provide a little "unofficial support" to get you up and running...

If you've fooled with the VBS2 tools at all then you'll already know that they're anything but a "magic bullet" for instant terrain making, but one or two aspects might be handy... Shapefile production for roads, for example, might be useful for the new A3 terrains...

I still occasionally make Arma terrains... I'm busy making one in my spare time right now, and I'm using standard Visitor 3 PE... that kinda says it all really...

However, the single biggest asset in the VBS2 Tools Suite should already be available to you - Global Mapper!!! I use that ALL the time!

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Speaking entirely unofficially, I'd say it's perfectly OK to use your VBS2 PE tools to create Arma-based stuff... In fact, I know of several PE owners who, after a bit of fuss, have managed to shoehorn their PE Tools into at least semi-working for Arma content production...

The main drawbacks are...

The VBS2 tools are, of course, totally aligned towards VBS2 content - there's a fair bit of fuss and even some registry tweaking involved in getting them to work reasonably...

And you've already discovered the second drawback... VBS2 PE owners are pretty thin on the ground... VBS2 PE owners trying to use the tools for Arma purposes are practically non-existent, plus, of course, the VBS2 support staff are primarily concerned with answering VBS2 support questions, and TBH generally know bugger all about Arma, much less the specific requirements of Arma terrain modelling...

In other words - it's extremely unlikely that anyone will object if you manage to get your tools working for Arma, but it's considered an "unsupported usage", so official support or practical assistance is likely to be virtually zero...

Fortunately, I just happen to be a VBS2 Terrain Dev ;), so if you catch me when I'm off-duty, either by PM or on Skype, I'll provide a little "unofficial support" to get you up and running...

If you've fooled with the VBS2 tools at all then you'll already know that they're anything but a "magic bullet" for instant terrain making, but one or two aspects might be handy... Shapefile production for roads, for example, might be useful for the new A3 terrains...

I still occasionally make Arma terrains... I'm busy making one in my spare time right now, and I'm using standard Visitor 3 PE... that kinda says it all really...

However, the single biggest asset in the VBS2 Tools Suite should already be available to you - Global Mapper!!! I use that ALL the time!

B

I recently released a closed Alpha of my 'The Red Centre' terrain to members of my community. It won't see an official release until a month or so after we get some updated dev tools. I just hopefully got some confirmed assistance from the guys from ADF UNCUT to do textures and maybe buildings which will help out plenty.

Most waiting on new tools, you still can do a lot though in the mean time.

Kangunda, Sub-Tropical

http://files.enjin.com/162250/shockley/shy_kangunda_wip.jpg

Pacific Ocean, Open Water

http://files.enjin.com/162250/shockley/shy_pacific_wip.jpg

Work in Progress

http://files.enjin.com/162250/shockley/unknown.jpg

Edited by Sig [USMC]
Added new URLs

Is tehre any tutorial about visitor?

Even since I started with modding in the arma series I wondered how this darn things works :S

You should look at the first link, there are plenty of tutorial to get into visitor ;)

good luck :)

Maybe it has also to do with the available content for terrains. Due to the predominantly mediterranean content in A3, the terrains that can be made from this are limited to this "zone". And now with Altis being available, the need for fresh terrain is fairly well satisfied.

However, if a certain person would create a lot of european themed content like buildings, objects, and foliage; the urge to make new terrains set far far away from Altis may rise significantly.

But who would currently be making such a huge amount of content and release it to the community for free... :icon_wink:

Me.

Edited by Mondkalb

But who would currently be making such a huge amount of content and release it to the community for free... :icon_wink:

Me.

No one here :)

Eiffelcomp.jpg

Me.

Honestly in all my ArmA-Time, I can't remember anyone but you who did this.

Oh, there's a few of them in progress right now. EM Buildings or the Nova Zona project. This is making me all very excited. So much variation to make use of.

However, if a certain person would create a lot of european themed content like buildings, objects, and foliage; the urge to make new terrains set far far away from Altis may rise significantly.

Me.

Do I detect the hint of a new Mondkalb's Buildings Pack????

Where's the damned banana icon when you actually need it!?!!!? :)

B

Do I detect the hint of a new Mondkalb's Buildings Pack????

Where's the damned banana icon when you actually need it!?!!!? :)

B

I haven't been on for a while until recently... he has a euro bldg pack? :yay:

If you need pictures of Paris, i can give you some :p

it would be awesome if some terrain makers would team up to make an European theme map with the size of Altis (it would take years but still be awesome).

If only we could use A2 buildings and foliage to make A3 maps but we can dream to make this happen.

If you need pictures of Paris, i can give you some :p

it would be awesome if some terrain makers would team up to make an European theme map with the size of Altis (it would take years but still be awesome).

If only we could use A2 buildings and foliage to make A3 maps but we can dream to make this happen.

Since 2008 would be years in the making. But unfortunately our map isn't the size of Altis...it's 2.275 x's larger. :)

I just realised this is not a real pic...

Yes, if you go all the way to the top you have beautiful views of Paris, The Seine river, and The French country side in game! :)

Well, you don't see the countryside from the tower :)

OK, whatever you say! You're the boss! It's your world! :butbut:

All I ask is for a fine bottle of merlot, some brie, and a baguette. I want to sit on top and snipe people trying to climb up.

Edited by Rip31st

Since 2008 would be years in the making. But unfortunately our map isn't the size of Altis...it's 2.275 x's larger. :)

No. Way. :eek:

Good luck with that! :D

unfortunately our map isn't the size of Altis...it's 2.275 x's larger. :)

I remember a certain map for I44 in Arma 1 that really took the crown for big terrains. The North-Sea channel and like 4 cities? Are you guys planning something that ambitious?

I remember a certain map for I44 in Arma 1 that really took the crown for big terrains. The North-Sea channel and like 4 cities? Are you guys planning something that ambitious?

I don't have any knowledge of that map. Maybe you could give us the details of the size, amount of objects, etc. Then I could tell you in relation to what our project is.

I've just found it. Quite the trip down memory lane! It's from the ArmA Armed Assault 31STWW2 mod.

http://i.imgur.com/isORohv.jpg (294 kB)

Links to download:

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=0&cat=addons&id=659

Fixes:

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=0&cat=addons&id=666

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=0&cat=addons&id=669

Don't have any exact measurements, it might be smaller than it would be IRL.

I've just found it. Quite the trip down memory lane! It's from the ArmA Armed Assault 31STWW2 mod.

http://i.imgur.com/isORohv.jpg (294 kB)

Links to download:

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=0&cat=addons&id=659

Fixes:

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=0&cat=addons&id=666

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=0&cat=addons&id=669

Don't have any exact measurements, it might be smaller than it would be IRL.

Uh yeah, that's not I44. That's my previous map and mod.

The dimensions are the same. The difference is the sat map on that one was 2048x, same height two ground textures ( grass, sand), 549,000 objects mostly from the BIS model library.

The new map has a 20480x sat map, 4096 height map, several terrain materials, Just under 5,000,000 objects, mostly custom objects with some mod tweaks ;)

Oh yeah and a lot of towns

Edited by Rip31st