Sign in to follow this  
Nikoteen

The Recoil Fix Mod [Alpha]

This mod follows the following thread I initiated :

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148083-6-5-mm-and-recoil-management-in-game

This is my first mod. I waited for someone to make it, but as it won't happen, I decided to create it :)

To my knowledge, it works well and is very simple : it soften the new recoil of ArmA 3 to a level close of the one of ArmA 2 by initiating that command : setUnitRecoilCoefficient 0.43

CBA is required.

Team switching is supported.

Obviously, it's made for SP testing, as in MP it would be considered as a cheat.

Please note that doesn't affect the hardcoded "boucing aim" ArmA 3 has introduced but that reduces significantly the upward movement and allows group shot in single fire mode (what I missed the most). I think that that mod could even please the fans of the new recoil for that reason

The LMG is at last controllable in standing stance and almost steady when prone, as it should be due to its caliber and firing rate.

I'm eager to hear your feedback !

Download link : http://dl.free.fr/oOBXvT0S2

Mirrors are welcome !

Edit : UPDATE 1.1

Changelog :

- Recoil increased a little bit (ratio 0.57)

- Addon signed for MP exclusion or controlled usage.

Download link : http://dl.free.fr/gqqhPThX2

Edited by NikoTeen
Update 1.1

Sounds like a cheat to me. Would this theoretically work in mp?

Gonna try it, but mainly for the reason to decide, if we should switch to signature checking with mods like "m107 barret" or "recoil reduction mods"..

Gave it a shot (pun intended) in Editor testing with the BLUFOR Rifleman with default loadout firing from atop the second floor open-air deck of the Military Cargo HQ just east of Stratis Air Base towards a target (thanks Bad Benson!) set up within Stratis Air Base approximately 240 meters away, since the RCO is zeroed to 300 meters...

TL;DR: With the recoil mod it feels less like I have to "actively" fight muzzle climb; when standing I didn't see all that much difference at extremely close quarters (such as "room clearing" the Military Cargo HQ's first floor) but at longer range (such as the aforementioned 240 meters) it seems like I'm better able to maintain a general sight picture when "scoped in" instead of having to essentially "sight back in" after each shot as if it were a stereotypical bolt action rifle in a stereotypical conventional FPS.

Scope sway seems unaffected and heavy when standing though, so aimed, compensated and timed single shots (preferably with breath held) are still the order of the day even at only a quarter-klick out.

Edited by Chortles

"Feels" better but it makes the game like shooting lasers that have no recoil.The R3F mod does something different then most other mods or even default A3.The game has dispersion settings for single shot,full auto,burst,mid range optics,far range optics etc.They do not use it though but it was put there by the devs.;) With this you can then set single shots to have good dispersion(based on their class like sniper/assault etc)and make full auto have bad dispersion.What the bad dispersion does then is that it spreads the bullets around the aim point to simulate that recoil is causing the spread BUT you can use your better recoil mod and not have the annoying mouse battles.Hope that makes sense and you can try it out yourself.

Firstly enable your mod and also the R3F mod,grab a Famas rifle and throw an RCO scope on it.Then fire at 300 to 600 meters away with single shots and full auto.Then check a stock A3 rifle to see the effect.

Many things could be tweaked and tested and re-tweaked to get a pretty good effect.

Carbines could get mediocre single shot dispersion BUT better dispersion when full auto.Their rifle counterparts can have better dispersion for single shot but worse dispersion for full auto.Reason is that the longer barrel means higher bang per shot making full auto a bit harder to control but single shots more accurate.Then tweak the single shot recoil models so that the rifles have slightly more bang to them.Will give em two types of weapons a different feel.

Snipers should get even more accuracy in single shot and more dispersion when full auto(if they actually have full auto that is)and slightly more recoil snap!

LMG's IMO should have slightly less auto-fire dispersion than the carbines get to simulate that they are a heavier weapon and made to lay down fire rather well.They should be the most deadly when prone at firing full auto.In turn make them have the old(sans your mod) recoil when crouched/standing though to simulate the fact that its hard to hold a heavy weapon steady.

EDIT...actually the prone mod you made is a bit too soft but would fit perfect with LMG's that are known to have little recoil while prone.

Edited by Wolfstriked

"Feels" better but it makes the game like shooting lasers that have no recoil.
I certainly didn't get that sense at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't designed with R3F (or, truthbetold, the idea of "game balance") in mind; as I attested above, there was recoil nevertheless and it piled up fast... just not explosively so.

No offense or anything but doesn't it seem redundant to make a fix for an Alpha version of a game. I mean really the whole point was BIS gave us a demo and pre-order discount. For me it was a good one I was one of the few who got the Supporters edition for $76 :)

Anyway my point is the game isn't finished and everyone knows that many things are either broken or not implemented etc and its not like the full game is gonna come out in 3 years or something and the game only has four missions with some user made ones here and there, jus saying why not just wait till the full game comes out. Don't get me wrong (which quite a few here do)I really do appreciate the effort and thanks for sharing, but again just seems redundant that's all. In fact other that just looking around the showcase missions I don't play the Alpha as don't wanna ruin the full experience when the real full game come out. I got it strictly to support the company and for the extras and discounts. Don't really have the time play much anyway. But hope you understand what I meant and again no offense intended.

I certainly didn't get that sense at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't designed with R3F (or, truthbetold, the idea of "game balance") in mind; as I attested above, there was recoil nevertheless and it piled up fast... just not explosively so.

Its on the right track but IMO its overdone.Too deadly are these weapons as you can now lay down accurate bursts of fire over all ranges.Remember that with much reduced recoil and each shot being as super accurate as the alpha weapons are,the weapons group much to good.

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

No offense or anything but doesn't it seem redundant to make a fix for an Alpha version of a game. I mean really the whole point was BIS gave us a demo and pre-order discount. For me it was a good one I was one of the few who got the Supporters edition for $76 :)

Anyway my point is the game isn't finished and everyone knows that many things are either broken or not implemented etc and its not like the full game is gonna come out in 3 years or something and the game only has four missions with some user made ones here and there, jus saying why not just wait till the full game comes out. Don't get me wrong (which quite a few here do)I really do appreciate the effort and thanks for sharing, but again just seems redundant that's all. In fact other that just looking around the showcase missions I don't play the Alpha as don't wanna ruin the full experience when the real full game come out. I got it strictly to support the company and for the extras and discounts. Don't really have the time play much anyway. But hope you understand what I meant and again no offense intended.

Problem is that I see no mention from the devs that weapons will be getting an overhaul.When BIS devs do not respond in threads you know the main motivations lay elsewhere. Hopefully PR:A3 will be excellent in this regards.

Anyway my point is the game isn't finished and everyone knows that many things are either broken or not implemented etc

So we should just deal with ridiculous recoil until Bohemia "fixes" it, if they decide to do so?

I own the game right now. I want to play with better recoil right now. IF Bohemia decides to improve the recoil then I will consider taking off the mod. Until then this addon is a welcome sight.

Get off the guys back. There are plenty of threads that argue about the default recoil. This shouldn't be one of them.

NICO: Thanks for this. As a frequent shooter who has shot 6.5 grendel rounds I can tell you that while your mod lowers the recoil a little too much....it is much closer than what Bohemia currently has.

Perhaps we should just discuss NikoTeen's addon and not question why he chose to develop something in his spare time and share it with you for free ;) If you don't see a need to download it, feel free to walk silently by.

Hello, thanks for the feedback !

As you have noticed, Bohemia has created a new recoil model (heavy sway and odd kickback that causes sometimes uncontrollable dispersion even at close quarter).

The mod has no pretention of changing that model, it only lowers the muzzle climb by tuning the recoil ratio function.

I think it increases my playing experience, and maybe it could do something for you too if you are not happy with the new recoil :)

The good thing with alpha is the console when you press escape (maybe only with dev branch - not sure)

I invite you to help me tuning the mod by typing this command and press LOCAL EXEC (do it every time you die or change soldier) :

player setUnitRecoilCoefficient [your value]

The value should be between 0 (No recoil) and 1 (vanilla recoil).

The recoil should be increased a bit. Like 10%-15%

Then, you should try the command player setUnitRecoilCoefficient 0.45 (Tried already, that kicks actually significantly)

If feedback goes this way, I'll make an update :)

If Bohemia makes an awesome recoil model for the beta or retail, then my mod won't be necessary anymore !

Personally, I'm sure ACE for Arma 3 will bring a much better work than mine. :p

Edited by NikoTeen

Its on the right track but IMO its overdone.Too deadly are these weapons as you can now lay down accurate bursts of fire over all ranges.Remember that with much reduced recoil and each shot being as super accurate as the alpha weapons are,the weapons group much to good.
What testing conditions (i.e. unit, loadout, stance, distance, targets, fire modes and methods of fire) were you using anyway? I'm honestly reporting the results that I got with my aforementioned conditions; even "mashing" semiauto fire remains inaccurate at point target shooting at a quarter-click, much less full auto -- even in bursts -- and with either one I'm not getting nearly the accuracy or groups that you are... then again, this may have to do with how this mod doesn't (directly) affect the sway.

I'm happy to be using this mod, thanks NikoTeen!

@OP: Just wondering, what data did you base your recoil calculations on?

Sounds like a cheat to me. Would this theoretically work in mp?

Read the OP: "Obviously, it's made for SP testing, as in MP it would be considered as a cheat."

---------- Post added at 10:44 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

We should also remember that these are 'future weapons'. Would recoil be worse in 20 years time than it is at present, as it is by default in Arma 3? I don't think so!

Thanks Nico :-)

I am still interested, if you can use the "player setUnitRecoilCoefficient [your value]" function to lower recoil in MP games.

Goodcat, when you say recoil is worse than in present, what are you comparing it to? A2 recoil, BF recoil, RL recoil...?

@OP: Just wondering, what data did you base your recoil calculations on?

Nothing scientific :) Personal observation and experience + 7 years of ArmA play.

I choosed the ratio 0.43 after many testing on different ranges. I think the actual kickback feel of 0.43 is a little low, but as the sway and bounce are still there, the dispersion remains solid. So it's kind of middle ground to simulate 6.5mm "feeling".

I see :) I don't mean to be disrespectful of you or your work, but do you have any experience with firing RL weapons? That could be very useful, that is - if your goal is to fix stuff so it's realistic. If you just wanna uber-mg-sniper, that's just fine as well :D

I see :) I don't mean to be disrespectful of you or your work, but do you have any experience with firing RL weapons? That could be very useful, that is - if your goal is to fix stuff so it's realistic. If you just wanna uber-mg-sniper, that's just fine as well :D

Yes, I have personal RL experience.

Btw, I don't see your point... Did you try the mod ? are you happy with the vanilla recoil ? or not ?

I haven't heard you so if your experience can bring something to the discussion, please share it.

NikoTeen,

thanks for this mod!

I am mostly/only playing SP and was always a bit annoyed by having to fight my own mouse ;-)

There has already been a lot of discussion of pros and cons of the recoil model introduced with A3, and I think this thread is not the place to repeat that. Everyone of us has slightly different preferences how the game should feel, and this mod allows some of us to enjoy the game a bit more.

Of course there should be some fine tuning. Playing the game should not be annoying, but personally I also like to be challenged to some degree by _reasonable_ recoil.

So I suggest to put the recoil coefficient into a separate userconfig file which would facilitate finding values meeting your personal preferences.

Of course there should be some fine tuning. Playing the game should not be annoying, but personally I also like to be challenged to some degree by _reasonable_ recoil.

So I suggest to put the recoil coefficient into a separate userconfig file which would facilitate finding values meeting your personal preferences.

That's a clever solution I consider to do for the next update, actually.

Problem is, if ever some server admins would like to use the mod for their scenarios, maybe that would be a problem to allow each client to set his own recoil ?

That depends on the same question i have asked multiple times now.

Can you theoretically use the "player setUnitRecoilCoefficient [your value]" function in MP too? I have seen your addon kinda checks, if mp or sp is running, but would it "theoretically" be possible to edit your addon and reduce recoil even on mp missions? If yes, i suppose the function would be controlled clientsided and the server can't do something about it (other than excluding the addon via signature checks).

I found .60-.62 to be a good approximation of recoil. I think the bigger problem is that it's not the recoil as much as it's how the recoil settles.