Sign in to follow this  
mrnemesis

ArmA updated to 0.56 and -server does not allow clients to join.

UPDATE: Single server instance using the -server method on dedicated server still does not let users join. Exactly same symptoms as Twix above.

Have tried:

- fresh install of server

- moved server config to game root drive

- ran with bare basics of options in shortcut

- ran with steam in offline and online mode

- reinstalled latest physx on server(as per Dwardens suggestion)

- tried with multiple clients

Just about exhausted all my options, any other ideas?

Hi MickTek here from DCM Clan

We were running two servers and now can only run one, I was pulling my hair out to get just the main server to start.

1. Pick just one of your servers you want to run

2. On first running your server must have its steam client in connected and running mode in other words your steam must be connected on the server so the server can do a handshake.

3. once loaded and server running you need to switch your steam back to run in offline mode. This may drop or close the server instance running. After steam has gone to offline mode and if your server has shutdown just start the server instance again then you see steam pop up appear - go online or stay offline.

4. select start offline mode.

5. server now started, go to your task manager and end task on steam32.exe, this will save a small amount of memory as steam is not needed to run in the background.

As for being able to run two servers at once from one server does anyone have an answer for this yet, I am working my way through the thread looking for the super answer so that we can run two servers again.

---------- Post added at 08:17 ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 ----------

Hi MickTek here from DCM Clan

We were running two servers and now can only run one, I was pulling my hair out to get just the main server to start.

1. Pick just one of your servers you want to run

2. On first running your server must have its steam client in connected and running mode in other words your steam must be connected on the server so the server can do a handshake.

3. once loaded and server running you need to switch your steam back to run in offline mode. This may drop or close the server instance running. After steam has gone to offline mode and if your server has shutdown just start the server instance again then you see steam pop up appear - go online or stay offline.

4. select start offline mode.

5. server now started, go to your task manager and end task on steam32.exe, this will save a small amount of memory as steam is not needed to run in the background.

As for being able to run two servers at once from one server does anyone have an answer for this yet, I am working my way through the thread looking for the super answer so that we can run two servers again.

Oh Crap looks like the Arma 3 erver God Hates me - damn we have to wait for an update, I am so in love with the Alpha of Arma 3 and can nnot wait for the full version, - While im here anyone know how to turn these damn AI into Zombies, for Christ sake im getting sniped from the other side of the island by a damn machine,,,, sucks

What's your solution?

There's no "my solution", neither is yours ... only the developer has the solution: remove the stupid limit in the "client -server" (since it's not serving any purpose), until the dedicate server is ready to run as multiple instances. It's: fast & easy & effective.

They shouldn't have put this limitation at all, but they wanted to play "smart" (unfortunately not that smart), there's time to admit it and revert it tho.

There's no "my solution", neither is yours ... only the developer has the solution: remove the stupid limit in the "client -server" (since it's not serving any purpose), until the dedicate server is ready to run as multiple instances. It's: fast & easy & effective.

They shouldn't have put this limitation at all, but they wanted to play "smart" (unfortunately not that smart), there's time to admit it and revert it tho.

If the temporary "virtual machine solution" works as well as mrnemesis says on the previous page, what's the problem? Just do that until the problems are sorted out? "client -server" was only a temporary solution to the lack of dedicated server in itself.

ALPHA: This is not final software; content and technology is subject to change and may still contain errors / lack certain features.

Do you ever take notice of this when you start up the game?

http://i.imgur.com/Y5f7C6U.jpg

Edited by Mattar_Tharkari

We are looking forward to the update which will remove this limitation as well :)

Though after a lot of work we managed to still offer ARMA 3 Alpha.

This is the beauty of Software development, new versions, new features/bugs/limitations. Unfortunately this is not a nice limitation, though still part of the deal, Alpha = Alpha :)

If the temporary "virtual machine solution" works as well as mrnemesis says on the previous page, what's the problem?

1) Install additional software and learn how to use it properly;

2) Install multiple OS's (eventually pay for them if do not own a trial version);

3) Eventually loose the managed assistance because the hoster doesn't support the VM;

4) Wasting of HD space, RAM, CPU resources to run the VM itself;

5) Having the instances separately means add much more time to "admin" them separately (like having multiple servers on different machines);

It is not exactly like running a 100kb application to circumvent the problem, to not talk about the fact that we should do this only because BIS made a wrong decision.

"client -server" was only a temporary solution to the lack of dedicated server in itself.

In fact the dedicated server is not ready, so it doesn't make any sense to have hurried to apply this restriction.

Well if you don't have the know how or the means to do it then you will have to wait as:

ALPHA: This is not final software; content and technology is subject to change and may still contain errors / lack certain features.

It's WIP (work in progress). My dedicated server is running arma3server.exe - works well for me and I only need 1 instance at this stage.

Running multiple concurrent ARMA 3 installations under different WINE prefixes using WINE should also be possible. Each WINE prefix is a new Windows installation as far as any programs resident in the prefix are concerned and WINE has much, much less overhead than any L1 or L2 VM software (such as KVM, VMWare or Xen that emulate a whole physical system or OpenVZ that runs multiple Linux instances under a single kernel).

Hey Mods please mark as solved as using VM's or WINE provides a solution to the multiple server restriction per physical machine. Have been running 5 servers extremely successfully since 0.56 release.....

Also look forward to the dedi server making it to the alpha normal branch, great work guys!!!

It's solved for the DEV branch and the dedicated server (we're waiting it to be added to the std branch) .. it's not because of VM or WINE (this workaround existed already before). :)

It's solved for the DEV branch and the dedicated server (we're waiting it to be added to the std branch) .. it's not because of VM or WINE (this workaround existed already before). :)

You seriously can't deal with the fact that for a few of us using VM or WINE got around the single instance restriction and for us this WAS a solution. All I heard from you in this topic was negativity and whining and frankly you are either a troll or trying(unsuccessfuly) to wag some sort of e-peen or overly self important. Did you think if you cried and complained enough that you could dictate the developers project schedule? If so then I suggest you delete your forum account and move on cause you are NOT helping this community. I have said my piece, make of it what you will WalkerDown but I am done with you and your type.

nemesis, it's not necessary, the dedicated server has been finally fixed.. what's necessary now is to port it to the stable branch, there's no need to waste resources with vm's (but we discussed about this already).