Sign in to follow this  
mrnemesis

ArmA updated to 0.56 and -server does not allow clients to join.

Twix is right. Got the same issue. I have two servers running using -server parameter. Only differences are: Different port, password.

So one server is running normal, the other one has the problem which Twix describes.

I have the same problem before the update I had no problems at all.

I have the game updated today at noon and then started the server.

Since I'm also our public servers not on it.

What might help, I sometimes get this message and I have these entries in the RTP from the server.

http://www.clan-gnc.de/arma3.exe_2013-05-02-22-20-20-484.jpg (114 kB)

NetServer::SendMsg: cannot find channel #461531063, users.card=0

NetServer: users.get failed when sending to 461531063

Message not sent - error 0, message ID = ffffffff, to 461531063 ([GNC]Lord-MDB)

CFG

passwordAdmin ="xxxx";

hostname ="[GNC]Publicserver | clan-gnc.de";

motd[]=

{

"Willkommen auf dem",

"GNC Clanserver",

"Allen fröhlichen Zockern ein",

"lag und flamefreier War!"

};

motdInterval=2;

voteMissionPlayers=1;

voteThreshold=0.33;

kickduplicate=1;

equalModRequired=0;

maxPlayers = 64;

disableVoN=0;

verifySignatures=0;

persistent = 0;

logFile = "server_console.log";

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

I have now tested some and have established the following.

it to be translucent so that there is now a problem since the update 2x or more times arma3.exe to start with-server.

Individually, the servers are running normal, no matter what one starts. But you start multiple servers, only goes to the server that was started first.

Fine, so instead of two servers I have only one now.

I would like to know why the hack this has been changed in the last update.

Stones instead of bread.

People following BI on this path without losing their patience are qualified for the first manned mars mission.

Maybe this all is a secret NASA program...

---------- Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 23:28 ----------

Fine, so instead of two servers I have only one now.

I would like to know why the hack this has been changed in the last update.

Stones instead of bread.

People following BI on this path without losing their patience are qualified for the first manned mars mission.

Maybe this all is a secret NASA program...

UPDATE: Single server instance using the -server method on dedicated server still does not let users join. Exactly same symptoms as Twix above.

Have tried:

- fresh install of server

- moved server config to game root drive

- ran with bare basics of options in shortcut

- ran with steam in offline and online mode

- reinstalled latest physx on server(as per Dwardens suggestion)

- tried with multiple clients

Just about exhausted all my options, any other ideas?

The only issue we ran into tonight was that on certain missions certain players would get an invalid steam userid ticket message and they weren't able to join during that mission. It only happened on a couple of my coops so it was possibly mission related, but other people had no issues and the same people affected by that error were able to join other similar missions just fine. This of course was with the all in arma mod running, so not sure if it's related to that or not.

WOO HOO Got my server working, not sure what did it but it looks like one of the following fixed it:

- Server hard restart

- Remove and re-add firewall rules in windows 2008 r2 firewall MMC

- Added direct port forwarding rules rather than allow full access to arma3.exe in firewall rules

- Installed DEV branch and then reverted to normal alpha branch.

Sorry I can't be more specific I was getting frustrated and didn't record the order I did the above tasks.

Thanks to all who gave me suggestions and help.

Now to make my Virtual Machines to run more than one ArmA 3 server on the same box.

Now to make my Virtual Machines to run more than one ArmA 3 server on the same box.

It wouldn't works, since you're running the stable branch (client -server). Unless you're prepared to pay for a new key for each server. From dwarden:

note:

* each instance of Client / Dedicated Client (both modes) needs unique STEAM account with the Arma 3 game ownership

..does It sucks? Yes it does!

Um should work fine in a virtual machine. A virtual machine is a self contained windows server install which with a a few port forwarding rules should allow me to run more servers on the same physical box. I will take a slight performance hit but it should work.

Will keep you posted.... BTW you can get windows server 2008 r2 on a 180 day trial so more than enough time for the dedi multiplayer exe to get multi instance functionality.

@ mrnemesis

You also have the root rebooted and now goes with you that you can run multiple servers?

So both the first server is started and people can connect to the server. And the other servers will also then there are people on it?

With us, it is currently still the only runs the first server started. All other servers which block the player

Well at least we can still run arma3server.exe AND the steam client on the same computer to keep developping MPmissions. Can't use them for anything but heh, small favors right? :)

In any case, hopefully they'll speed up the process to allow for multiple arma3server.exe on the same machine. Otherwise I don't see ARMA 3 going anywhere but a couple "big guns communities" since hosting a server would then require a dedicated server just for itself....which is a waste of money...

Um should work fine in a virtual machine. A virtual machine is a self contained windows server install which with a a few port forwarding rules should allow me to run more servers on the same physical box. I will take a slight performance hit but it should work.

Will keep you posted.... BTW you can get windows server 2008 r2 on a 180 day trial so more than enough time for the dedi multiplayer exe to get multi instance functionality.

Yes it should works, since i'm running the server and my own client (of course) from the same steam account but using obviously two PC's... but I still to not have got that sentence, what does he means with "each client needs unique steam account" then? The reality is that each dedicated client needs a unique environment (but it can be run by using steam in offline mode). Hum...

Btw yes, we absolutely need the dedicatedserver to run multiple instances.. i'm already wasting my server by 2 weeks with this single instance s*it.

We have the same issue on our server, start up the first and I can connect, start up the second and get stuck on the arma 3 alpha screen before the lobby.

We have the same issue on our server, start up the first and I can connect, start up the second and get stuck on the arma 3 alpha screen before the lobby.

Only 1 instance of a dedi server is supported on the same box at the present time. This of course will change when they have fixed whatever issue is making them restrict server operations like this

The symptom you will see is not being able to connect to the second server even though you can launch it.

Yes it should works, since i'm running the server and my own client (of course) from the same steam account but using obviously two PC's... but I still to not have got that sentence, what does he means with "each client needs unique steam account" then? The reality is that each dedicated client needs a unique environment (but it can be run by using steam in offline mode). Hum...

Btw yes, we absolutely need the dedicatedserver to run multiple instances.. i'm already wasting my server by 2 weeks with this single instance s*it.

The arma3server.exe (from dev build) isn't linked to STEAM UID anymore from what I understand (unlike the client -server thing) so you can start it without even steam opened. As said above I have no problem setting up my own arma3server.exe on my computer then just start a dev client and connect to it, without any VM or whatnot. I've been doing that all day to continue developping my MPmission in peace, works fine though my computer isn't really built to handle that.

The only issue here is that:

1) client -server IS now linked to a steam UID hard core and you can't have multiple instances working properly

2) You can't have multiple arma3server.exe on the same box.

That means unless you rent / own a true dedicated server (as in, NOTHING else on it arma 3 related), you can still run ONE server on it.

Not really relevant (alpha and all that) but that change completely shut down entire ARMA 3 communities apart from the big ones (who are now down to one server on their monster machine, instead of 3+).

Anyway, just beating a dead horse here. It's the way it is for now...nothing we can do about it :)

read first post http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...-server-status , read it again, repeat, loop ... !

Yea yea, but we got tons of people who used to have servers (rent or owned) with tons of players from their communities who are now in the sand, we need to do SOMETHING or them players are gonna off our heads! :)

it was related to these who keep asking about the limitations, for those was all explained in the first post of sticky

I can do nothing with articles.

Is that now glad that since the update now only one server is buildable with the Game.exe?

So we now have to wait all is made to the Dediserver.exe availible?

1) client -server IS now linked to a steam UID hard core and you can't have multiple instances working properly

The problem is that the explanation isn't very clear.. it says that you must have UNIQUE STEAM ACCOUNT ... for each "client -server" -- and this is wrong, you don't need a unique steam account for each server, instead you need a separate server (physical or virtualized) for each instance, but then you can run an infinite number of servers with the SAME steam account (and the same game copy).

Whatever.. it still sucks because ppl aren't going to install virtual crap on their machine (that sucks a portion of the server resources) just to run some arma server.

PPl are mad not because it's alpha (and so you have to wait for the development time), but because it was working before! And they decided to stop it to deploy a stupid piracy protection (that is not working).

Not really relevant (alpha and all that) but that change completely shut down entire ARMA 3 communities apart from the big ones (who are now down to one server on their monster machine, instead of 3+).

Most of us are running 4+ servers on a box, it's not only about the "monster machines" or big communities (we're in the 70 euro range to run 4 instances or even less if paid in USD).

The question my clan is wanting to know and is more important is will the developers fix the issue and when. Our clan rented a server, and our member have been active designing mission to play and also testing out what can be done, and also learning new skills. But we just cannot get into our server. We have been onto the server provider, and he says that there is hotfix on the way.

Yes this is an Alpha and things like this may occur, that not a problem, but correcting the issue is more important as if our members cant get into our server then they are not likely to recommend the game to anyone else. With the hacking issue, they stopped playing Arma 3 Alpha. So now they are playing WarFrame, and not being able to access our Arma 3 Server, is compounding the issue. But I have been enjoying Arma 3 so far, especially being able to design mission has been a rewarding challenge.

So let stop brow beating the developers and give them a chance to do something about the issue. remember this is a alpha, so help develop the game by giving constructive feedback.

But we just cannot get into our server.

What error do you see ?

Our server has ran flawlessly with all updates, we're using the Dev build now but the stable was fine.

The only issue at the minute is you can only run one server instance per IP but it'll change soon :)

Whatever.. it still sucks because ppl aren't going to install virtual crap on their machine (that sucks a portion of the server resources) just to run some arma server.

Funny this is exactly what I did and now I have 5 servers running off the same machine. This virtual crap you speak of isn't that hard to configure, runs pretty good and has some benefits with non shared mpmissions folders and the ability to give different sub admins full control of individual servers.

So instead of debating the pros and cons of a dev decision to remove features in an alpha build, I invested some time and a large helping of google and got multiple ArmA servers running on a single machine. I realise this could be all made moot in a day, week, month or whenever a dedi server that can handle multiple instances is released. I am fine with this as I realise this is alpha.

On a side note I guess I was more motivated than most as dedicated server rental in Australia for our server is $350 per month :)

Funny this is exactly what I did

It doesn't make much sense to install a software that is taking resources of my machine while multiple instances can run perfectly fine WITHOUT install that such software and so without wasting cpu, hd and RAM for it (to not talk about the other time you would loose to admin the servers separately). If that's a solution, I could tell you: you don't even need to install a virtual machine, you can run multiple instances by simply purchasing multiple machines... it's so easy.. you only need more money. :)

It doesn't make much sense to install a software that is taking resources of my machine while multiple instances can run perfectly fine WITHOUT install that such software and so without wasting cpu, hd and RAM for it (to not talk about the other time you would loose to admin the servers separately). If that's a solution, I could tell you: you don't even need to install a virtual machine, you can run multiple instances by simply purchasing multiple machines... it's so easy.. you only need more money. :)

It makes perfect sense!! It gave me a solution to a temporary problem. It even gave me greater granular control of server administration and extremely simple way to bring up new servers. As for wasting CPU, RAM, HD resource, that's just rubbish, they are doing exactly what they are designed to do, run a service for people to use. For some perspective my single server is successfully running 5 x ArmA 3 servers(2 public, 3 private), a red orchestra server, a chivalry server, a Teamspeak server and sits at 60% CPU and 20-30Mbps network and 80% RAM usage.

So without being facetious by suggesting throwing money at a solution I have presented a solution to the current multi server issue. What's your solution?