Sign in to follow this  
Tyrsero

View Distance?

So I have heard that it is impossible to play on maxed view distance without a huge performance drop, so here are two questions:

- Is there some kind of patch or modification that fixes the performance loss on bigger view distances?

- To how much can you set the view distance without getting big performance drops or none? Is 1600 good for that?

I wouldn't say it's impossible. The game just hasn't been optimized for such view distances, meaning that it could run better than it currently does. But it really depends on your system specs; I myself can play with max view distance just fine without too big of a performance drop.

I played w/ the VS crew last week in a sniping mission with the VD set @ 2000 - worked well.

VD at 5000 with Very Low Terrain Detail and Visual Quality all the way up is roughly playable on my old system.

Anything under 2000 will be fine. 1600 will not cause any performance drop apart from that required to draw more objects (which will be non-existent on modern systems).

From my observations 2001+ is where performance takes a dive.

Remember to also use -nomap in your shortcut (unless 1.99 has it ON by default)

Ah, alright then. One time I've found an old thread about the OFP view distance, and some developer said that it is virtually impossible to play on maxed view distance without a huge performance drop. I guess 2000 will be good enough!

There's no universal answer for this. It really depends on the map and the mission. If you're playing on a detailed island with a company-sized infantry battle taking place in front of you, then even the default 900 would probably feel painful. On the other hand, for example if it's a dogfighting mission over a desert map, then you could probably crank it up to 5000 without noticing any performance issues. For vanilla islands, I personally use 1600.

some days ago I was shocked to find how to make  OFP in the 5000 view distance but also maintaining@ 60FPS

I was shocked because the BI had never mentioned this, and  this was not difficult, just need to add or modify few codes to the“.cfg†file .

If that's the case, why keep it to yourself? :)

• Like 2