Alwarren

Arma Toolbox for Blender - Arma 2/3 exporter script

@RacerX
By default no, vehicles are not animated like that in Arma. Vehicles run with model.cfg defined animations. See BI wiki for "how to animate a model".

Cycles has also nothing to do with animations or the toolbox, so yes cycles renderer can be used along the toolbox but nothing from it really translates into Arma.

As HorribleGoat said. Only creatures are animated via RTM's, and sometimes the collapse of buildings, but that's the extend of it.

Added. 

Also could you help me understand how I could run the P3D import with Blenders python? 

I have a bunch of P3Ds Id like to import and process with few automated things for Blender terrain placement but my Python skillz are only so and so when it comes to running addon stuff.

Hello, I might sound stupid, surely there is something trivial I am missing because Im not yet very familiar with Blender, but when I install the addon, it shows that I've installed in Blender, but after that I can't see any Arma tools tools or no option to export in .P3D either.. is there something I am missing? Tried it in blender 2.81 and now in 2.82 and still, cant see any tools, even if the addon manager shows its installed. Thanks in advance!

5 minutes ago, caimaN said:

Hello, I might sound stupid, surely there is something trivial I am missing because Im not yet very familiar with Blender, but when I install the addon, it shows that I've installed in Blender, but after that I can't see any Arma tools tools or no option to export in .P3D either.. is there something I am missing? Tried it in blender 2.81 and now in 2.82 and still, cant see any tools, even if the addon manager shows its installed. Thanks in advance!

Did you activate it? 

That's what's showing in the console

fake_module: addon missing 'bl_info' gives bad performance!: 'C:\\Users\\tomky\\AppData\\Roaming\\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\2.82\\scripts\\addons\\MDLexporter.py'

edit: ok so I reinstalled blender and remade my model...and now it works, software is weird

Never Mind. Nothing to see here.

Edited by Macser
Poster solved issue
  • Confused 1

hey i have downloaded the arma toll box for blender did everythin etc.

i have an p3d file but cant import it it say something with mdl whats wrong?

4 hours ago, mrbrandyde said:

hey i have downloaded the arma toll box for blender did everythin etc.

i have an p3d file but cant import it it say something with mdl whats wrong?

That isn't exactly an exhaustive error description.

What I guess is happening is that it tells you that the MDL you are trying to import has the wrong version. The most likely explanation for that is that you are trying to import a binarized P3D (also known as an ODOL) file. The toolbox doesn't load binarized models.

Hi Alwarren,

Recently I started updating some of my old models. I often delete one half of the model, fix the remaining half and mirror it when I am done.

Now when putting it back into oxygen I have noticed that due to some miracle the ailerons and other parts somehow retain/get reassigned their old names (usually I use names like aileron_l/aileron_r).

Same for wheels and flaps and other movable parts. I would have expected the mirrored parts to get the same name as the origin mesh. That happens to propellers (I usually name them prop_1, prop_2,...not ..._l or ..._r).

What kind of magic is this? Did you actually make the script scan for _l and _r containing names in the selections? Or is this some blender feature?

1 hour ago, DSabre said:

Hi Alwarren,

Recently I started updating some of my old models. I often delete one half of the model, fix the remaining half and mirror it when I am done.

Now when putting it back into oxygen I have noticed that due to some miracle the ailerons and other parts somehow retain/get reassigned their old names (usually I use names like aileron_l/aileron_r).

Same for wheels and flaps and other movable parts. I would have expected the mirrored parts to get the same name as the origin mesh. That happens to propellers (I usually name them prop_1, prop_2,...not ..._l or ..._r).

What kind of magic is this? Did you actually make the script scan for _l and _r containing names in the selections? Or is this some blender feature?

Blenders mirror tool does that. As in changes _l to _r.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for clearing that up. It's a great feature. Had it happen a few times before but never really investigated further.

So it did repay to redo my selection names : )   I used to have a lot of old arma 2 style names like lkh/pkh klapka from learning how to mod by doing arma 2 ports.

And many thanks again for this tool Alwarren!

On 4/10/2020 at 1:19 PM, Alwarren said:

That isn't exactly an exhaustive error description.

What I guess is happening is that it tells you that the MDL you are trying to import has the wrong version. The most likely explanation for that is that you are trying to import a binarized P3D (also known as an ODOL) file. The toolbox doesn't load binarized models.

I'm having that exact problem.

Any workaround?

8 hours ago, PCanas said:

I'm having that exact problem.

Any workaround?

As I said, the toolbox doesn't load binarized models. This is intentional.

Hello there, thanks for making this addon for blender.

I am having some trouble when I try to export the model I've created after following a tutorial I saw on YouTube. It is giving me and error message, and I'm not quite sure what to do to fix the problem. If you could maybe point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure how to post the picture so it's displayed in my post, but I will include a link to a screenshot of the error message below.

https://imgur.com/a/bIF7GIm

Thanks!

9 hours ago, LaDane said:

I am having some trouble when I try to export the model I've created after following a tutorial I saw on YouTube. It is giving me and error message, and I'm not quite sure what to do to fix the problem. If you could maybe point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

Two ways to fix this problem:

a) Save the file and reload it. Next time you export, it should work.

b) Create a geometry LOD and assign some weight to it.

1 hour ago, Alwarren said:

Two ways to fix this problem:

a) Save the file and reload it. Next time you export, it should work.

b) Create a geometry LOD and assign some weight to it.

Hello again, I can't seem to get rid of the error message. I tried adding a geometry LOD and assigned weight to it but I still get the error. I've included a link to download my blender file if that would make it easier to see what I might be doing wrong. I greatly appreciate the help, as I'm pretty new to making Arma mods.

Error message:

https://imgur.com/a/mmPueqH

Download link:

https://easyupload.io/2f4ihw

Thanks!

Wait a second, this is a different error message. That one is caused because you have created a material slot and not entered a material in it.

On 7/13/2020 at 2:16 PM, Alwarren said:

Wait a second, this is a different error message. That one is caused because you have created a material slot and not entered a material in it.

Yes it seems I have messed up somewhere in the process of making the model ready for Arma. I scrapped the project and started over from scratch. Followed the tutorial thoroughly and i successfully made a hat that could be used ingame!

Thank you very much for this amazing tool for blender!   

• Like 1

*** ATTENTION ***
This is a highly experimental test release of the Arma toolbox. It is not recommended for production use, but for testing only. I would like to receive feedback on the new features in this version.

download link

What's New

- Imported p3d files will now set the name of the first UV Map to  "UVMap" to avoid merging problems

- New Merge operator that can merge two objects while retaining Proxies (see below)

- New Export option: "Apply Modifiers" will apply all modifiers on the exported model, for example, put a Triangulate modifier on an object to only export triangles
- New Export option: 'Merge same LOD's" will try to merge all lods of the same type and/or resolution setting. That means that if you have two LOD 1.0, they will be merged and show up as one in the exported P3D

New Merge Operator:
In order to use the Merge operation, you should map it to a key. By default, CTRL-J joins all selected to the active object, and this operator behaves the same, so it can be a full replacement for that since it doesn't do any special magic unless the selected objects are actual Arma objects AND have proxies. The easiest way is to replace the CTRL-J key mapping. To do that:

1. Go to Edit -> Preferences and select Keymap
  2. Open the ""3D Mode", "Object Mode", and "Object Mode (global)" panel
  3. Either add a new keyboard shortcut, or find the CTRL-J shortcut
  4. As operator (if you added a new keyboard shortcut it will say "None") add armatoolbox.join
  5. Save the preferences and close the window

To join objects:

1. In the viewport:
    - Select the first object then shift-select the next object, selecting the "receiver" last. 
    - Press the shortcut you used (CTRL-J if you are an optimist like me)
  2. In the outliner:
    - Select the first object then ctrl-select the next object, selecting the "receiver" last
    - Press the shortcut you used

For context, "receiver" in this case means the object that will be preserved. all of the other objects will be merged INTO that one. Also note that there is currently a limitation, namely that named properties are NOT merged along and the named properties of the merged objects are simply lost.

As I said, this is a highly experimental version and should be treated with a ten-foot pole. Still, feedback is welcome 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Greetings to the bohemia interactive community and I am going to the point of the matter, the truth is that it does not open the P3D files since I get an error when importing or exporting and I use the version of blende 2.79, I want to modify soldier skin since I have experience with 3d models but the truth is I can't get a tutorial for armed assault weapon so I don't know much about the methods of how to import my custom models into the game, if someone knows any method that can guide me ☺️

5 hours ago, MILITECH said:

Greetings to the bohemia interactive community and I am going to the point of the matter, the truth is that it does not open the P3D files since I get an error when importing or exporting and I use the version of blende 2.79, I want to modify soldier skin since I have experience with 3d models but the truth is I can't get a tutorial for armed assault weapon so I don't know much about the methods of how to import my custom models into the game, if someone knows any method that can guide me ☺️

Actually, it does... However...

• Make sure you are using the right version. There is a legacy version for Blender 2.79 (https://github.com/AlwarrenSidh/ArmAToolbox/releases/tag/bf-1) which is the last one for the old Blender branch
  • Your models MUST NOT be binarized. The Toolbox will not open binarized models. This is intentional, and is not going to change.

I highly recommend updating to Blender 2.90. Python scripting between 2.79 and 2.80 and beyond are incompatible, so the 2.79 branch of the toolbox will no longer be updated.

Something else, if you get any sort of error, an error message would be helpful. "I get an error" doesn't really say much. If in doubt, in Blender go to the menu Window -> Toggle System Control and cut-n-paste the error message from there. Anything else will leave me guessing.

• Like 2