Alwarren

Arma Toolbox for Blender - Arma 2/3 exporter script

On 3/16/2018 at 9:24 AM, Alwarren said:

Feel free to try this experimental update and see if that fixes your problem 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_C1BxZphNz9Xzc0UWUtQmhrNjA

I'll try it out.

EDIT: I tried it, it still gave a trace error which did not export the .p3d. (The p3d has a filesize to it, but unable to load it.) I'm starting to think that I'm absolutely exporting this incorrectly.

I can understand if you're concerned about it being stolen or edited without permission.

But this is a public record of it at least. If you PM just me, with a link to the blend file it increases the chances of solving the issue. That's entirely up to you of course. I won't badger you about it. But the option is there for you. :smile_o:

The only thing I could imagine is that you didn't have anything selected when exporting. It's a long-standing bug in the exporter that it barfs (and gives zero length) if no object is active when you try exporting.

Other than that, I can only echo what Macser said. I can have a look at the file as well, if you would like to.

What is the most up to date toolbox the experimental version or the one on armaholic , thanks 

7 hours ago, a26mike said:

What is the most up to date toolbox the experimental version or the one on armaholic , thanks 

Probably the experimental one.

Also if you want to compare its the official release on FHQ homepage or the experimental one. 

Armaholic is just a mirror and no guarantees when it updates.

I have added a few features and made a few fixes, the latest version can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_C1BxZphNz9Xzc0UWUtQmhrNjA

Among other things, the following things are fixed/added:

• No longer gives an error message when nothing is selected during export
  • Now includes a function that re-numbers components in geometry LOD's. It deletes all ComponentXX selections and generates new ones.
  • Now includes a function to fill an axis-parallel box with hitpoint spheres

As soon as the 2.80 API is stable, I will start adding support for the latest Blender version.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Firstly, for me this is the most important tool around. Without it I would have retex addons and my silly aliens (modeled in oxygen). Nothing else. There would be no aircraft ports or mods from me except the A2 ports.

And it works just perfect for me. Many thanks again!!!

Now I do have a question. Maybe I overlooked it somewhere but I am unsure about the automatic edge angle option. I have the impression that it will sometimes edge split my models, when I use that feature (as in - apply the modifier prior to export. If I don't apply the modifier my models are not displaying well in bulldozer/ingame).

What am I doing wrong?

If the model is imported, it will automatically add an Edge split modifier. I should really get rid of that and I recommend deleting it and instead using the Normal Auto-Smooth with these settings:

rdLK8E5.png

You will still have to mark sharp edges as such, but this should not split your edges in any way.

I hope that answers your question?

I see, that's what happens.Sometimes I do go back and forth between oxy and blender - after fixing animations for instance.

Then I have the habit of selecting all and doing alt-c to auto apply all modifiers prior to export. thanks for clarifying!

16 hours ago, DSabre said:

I see, that's what happens.Sometimes I do go back and forth between oxy and blender - after fixing animations for instance.

Then I have the habit of selecting all and doing alt-c to auto apply all modifiers prior to export. thanks for clarifying!

Future versions of the toolbox will replace the modified with the auto-smoothing.

• Thanks 1

Hey Al quick question. I've done a fresh install of the latest toolbox (Blender 2.79) and the 02 script path does not display on the properties shelf. The left side "tab" panel displays arma tools, weight tools, relocation tools, etc. However script path, make arma object, etc are not displaying. I have installed per your install tutorial (Using the FHQ Arma Toolbox for Blender). Addon installed and enabled correctly. 

Should the 02script path under the addon preferences go directly to 02script.exe or just to the ObjectBuilder folder within the a3 tools? Did I overlook a post about version 2.79 issues?

11 hours ago, warlord554 said:

Should the 02script path under the addon preferences go directly to 02script.exe or just to the ObjectBuilder folder within the a3 tools? Did I overlook a post about version 2.79 issues?

It should point directly to the O2Script.exe binary.

• Thanks 1

@Alwarren not wanting to ask what state your mod is in at all, but what with the almost imminent release of Blender 2.8 (scheduled for the 20th Oct) I assume what with the changes that they have made of layers that we will need to hold off for awhile whilst you get a chance to update.Please don't take this as me pushing you to update it at all, I just don't want to update blender too early. Thanks again.

1 hour ago, andy1 said:

@Alwarren not wanting to ask what state your mod is in at all, but what with the almost imminent release of Blender 2.8 (scheduled for the 20th Oct) I assume what with the changes that they have made of layers that we will need to hold off for awhile whilst you get a chance to update.Please don't take this as me pushing you to update it at all, I just don't want to update blender too early. Thanks again.

Sadly, I don't think that Blender 2.80 is still scheduled for the 20th. AFAIK, it has been pushed back into 2019, as per this article https://code.blender.org/2018/08/blender-2-8-planning-update/

Oh fair enough then.  I haven't been following it closely at all just got a couple of youtubes of the dev version in my playlists pop up and that's where the questions came from.

@andy1

Have you considered using zip versions of blender, instead of the installers? Most people have fairly big hard drives these days. A couple of versions wouldn't hurt. Over the years I've used addons and scripts that eventually the authors stopped updating. Grabbing a copy of a compatible version of blender in zip form, allows me to continue using them. No worries about installing/uninstalling.

If you find a suitable replacement, or the author decides to update for a newer version of blender you can just delete the folder.

1 hour ago, andy1 said:

Oh fair enough then.  I haven't been following it closely at all just got a couple of youtubes of the dev version in my playlists pop up and that's where the questions came from.

Yeah, I had discovered this mostly because I was monitoring the channels for obvious reasons. With the Beta version to be released around Blender Conference, the API should be stable and that is when I will start adapting the toolbox to 2.80.

I agree about using the zipped version, I have both installed to get acquainted with the new interface, even though the current version still has its share of instabilities...

• Like 1

Blender 2.80 beta is out and looking very nice. All we need now is an update to our favourite toolbox...  ;-)

IF you are adventurous:

https://github.com/AlwarrenSidh/ArmAToolbox/releases/tag/v3.0.1-alpha

There are a few caveats right now. For example, the importer loads each LOD into their own collection, but I haven't found out how to make collections really invisible so after loading you need to control-left click on the eye icon in the outliner of the LOD you want to see. 

Also, the exporter no longer automatically handles n-gons with n>4. You will have to triangulate the n-gons first, which currently is manual work. There is a button that is supposed to do that automatically, but for the same reason as above (I don't know how to make collections/objects visible) this isn't working as intended so far.

In general, expect bumps and ditches.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

First post updated with new releases. It is highly recommended to install either one of them depending on your blender version, since they contain a very crucial bug fix

• Thanks 4

:yay: Parteeeeee! Should get on to using 2.8 at some point. X9 just too many things to do and no time to properly dig into it.