Alwarren

Arma Toolbox for Blender - Arma 2/3 exporter script

2 hours ago, El Tyranos said:

Thank you Alwarren <3 

You are most welcome :)

I think I may have given people the wrong impression with some earlier posts, regarding scale.

Just to correct myself. The toolbox does indeed export scale to the resulting rtm. It's possible by scaling in pose mode. Not tested in game though. But it makes it to O2. :smile_o:

Not a massive revelation. But if you wanted to do a character without retargetting and the proportions were the same,just uniformly scaled up or down, it's possible.

• Like 1

Does the rtm import also not work for others when using blender version 2.79? I had to go back to 2.78c for it to show up under import.

1 hour ago, skyllio said:

Does the rtm import also not work for others when using blender version 2.79? I had to go back to 2.78c for it to show up under import.

Import or export? last time I checked FHQ toolbox did not come with rtm import

ahh yeah, I forgot that it was a different addon.

That's why the zip versions of Blender are handy. You don't need to install the program in the usual way. So  getting rid of a version you don't use anymore is pretty quick. Your favourite scripts may not get updated, so having a couple of versions of  Blender around isn't a bad idea.

15 hours ago, skyllio said:

As HorribleGoat said, the toolbox doesn't have an RTM import, but there was another thing that broke with Blender 2.79, namely importing of weights. I'll put out a new version ASAP that has it fixed.

I had opted against adding RTM import since the resulting rig is not really usable for anything.

• Thanks 3

doesn't the RTM import theoretically work with the animation retargeting addon for mocap animations?

The author of the importer that's over on github used my rig as a base. But that was just convenience.  You can create your own. 

As long as you have the bone names in place and your rig has the joint locations correct, that will work. The simplest way is with an FK rig. No IK chains. Then you retarget using constraints on an "export" rig. Which is the one you edit. You could use the existing mocap tools to assist with that.

Although I haven't tried it myself, yet, rigify does have ik/fk snapping. So that could theoretically be used to import and then tweak an animation. Rather than simply retarget. And then obviously the toolbox is used for the output.

I do have made full conversion of A3 animations for a smaller female skeleton so there are uses for Importing rtms too.

• Like 1

Being able to select individual parts would be great. (One model with multiple parts/named selections). My version (latest toolbox/blender 2.79) says not available yet when I click on a specific part. I have to select entire model. 

Either way it's a awesome mod and thanks for sharing

When you say select a specific part, what do you mean?

2 hours ago, warlord554 said:

Being able to select individual parts would be great. (One model with multiple parts/named selections). My version (latest toolbox/blender 2.79) says not available yet when I click on a specific part. I have to select entire model. 

Either way it's a awesome mod and thanks for sharing

you can select vertex groups in Blender like they were named selections in OB. Or split object as separate parts for editing and put join them all together for export.

2 hours ago, Alwarren said:

I'll consider adding RTM import

I used this https://github.com/4d4a5852/rtm_import

So people who really want import them can already, it may not be necessary to add it to yours. My code Wizard also made an updated version of the importer to automagically support your toolbox though its still waiting for @4d4a5852 approval. He wanted to give it a better lookover first.

Quick question, on my new model, when I export it from Blender the LOD1 only flips itself onto its side when opened in object builder. All the other LOD's work correctly. Is there anything I'm missing here or do you need my blend?

Heres my files if anyone wants to check them and see if it happens to them too:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oec39hky75q86wg/Dan Blend.zip?dl=0

Have you applied the transformations before export? Transformations, rotations and scale need to be applied otherwise the result might not be what you expect it to be.

52 minutes ago, Alwarren said:

Have you applied the transformations before export? Transformations, rotations and scale need to be applied otherwise the result might not be what you expect it to be.

I didn't apply any transformations. It did this on its own and looks fine in blender. Its when it ends up in object builder that's wrong. I exported something a few days ago and it worked fine then.

I had to rotate in object builder and then export back to blender to get it to work. Still not sure why though but it fixed it. Now when I export it its fine. However, I cannot save without getting an error now in object builder.

I think I've figured it out. I think I rotated the "plane" when I created it in object mode and so it permanently rotated it, I've managed to repeat it several times now. Creating the plane, going into edit then rotating it works fine.

It's always possible to unknowingly move,scale or rotate while in object mode. If you do have issues it's always best to apply transforms,rotation and scale. Changes made only in edit mode, won't cause you any trouble.

Sometimes it's beneficial to work in object mode. For example, when scaling multiple objects on different layers. But you have to remember to apply the changes when you're done.

12 hours ago, [evo] dan said:

It did this on its own and looks fine in blender. Its when it ends up in object builder that's wrong. I exported something a few days ago and it worked fine then.

It will always look fine within Blender. The point is, for the export to work correctly, all Scale values must be 1, Rotation angles must be 0 Degrees, and position is relative to the Object origin.

You will have to press CTRL-A and apply these to get them to export identical into O2.

Not entirely sure if this is just me overlooking something super obvious, but...

My o2script path is defined, the model is defined as within the Arma Object Properties, but when I attempt to export, I get a couple traceback errors and when I attempt to open the .p3d it is unable to open the file.

https://gyazo.com/7664a5beb6e716ee101e1c77d745ce22

Any thoughts?

tbh I can't think of anything, lol. 

Thanks!

Edited by JDoberman

39 minutes ago, JDoberman said:

Not entirely sure if this is just me overlooking something super obvious, but...

My o2script path is defined, the model is defined as within the Arma Object Properties, but when I attempt to export, I get a couple traceback errors and when I attempt to open the .p3d it is unable to open the file.

https://gyazo.com/7664a5beb6e716ee101e1c77d745ce22

Any thoughts?

tbh I can't think of anything, lol. 

Thanks!

Somehow that error rings a bell. Do you have the latest version installed?

18 minutes ago, Alwarren said:

Somehow that error rings a bell. Do you have the latest version installed?

Yes, the latest version is installed. I even attempted to re-install it, with no solution.

I've seen that occasionally too. Not much these days. But it was almost always user error on my part. Still, I can't remember the exact circumstances. Have you checked "arma object properties" for all objects to be exported? Do you have multiple objects on the same layer? Although those shouldn't really cause a traceback error.

If you like I could have a look at the blend file. Just PM me a link.