Sign in to follow this  
lolipoyi

Low-Ready Position

Low-Ready? Anyone...?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Low-Ready? Anyone...?

• Yes
    • No

Would you like to have a low-ready stance? Would it be beneficial? Personally I would like to have this animation in-game as it would free almost completely the screen of any weapon model, being able to have that extra bit of information you otherwise don´t because the weapon is in the way, while remaining in 'optics mode'. This

should let clear what I am referring to (jump to 0:20). Just take a look of how much extra you can see when the weapon is lowered to that extend.

My idea of how this could be triggered is by going into the 'optics mode' in the rifle and pressing the already featured 'lower weapon' action (default 2x left control, I´m sure everybody knows that already, but just making clear for those who maybe don´t). After you press it, the gun lowers itself to around the extend that it is shown in the video and by pressing it another time, the optic would raise to the middle of the screen. I say the middle of the screen because there is where the optic/iron sights sits by default, simulating the optic meeting the eye and not the other way around.

In short, have a set of animations for lowering the gun whilst shouldered only (as we currently have) and another for when aiming down sights. Here is a really good post that I think did not get the attention it deserves as it proposes very good ideas and explains a bit better why this set of animations or abilities would be beneficial and much more, take a look at it if you haven´t check it before.

I made this a poll as I think they get more attention as regular posts, thus making it more easy for devs to spot and also to reflect the mindset of the community in a visual way. Pretty sure the devs read the vast majority of posts here, but just in case.

Edited Post....maybe I posted too soon as a low ready would be beneficial to the game IMO.A way to do this is already in game also.When you press tactical pace key the weapon stays up but when you turn off tactical pace and run the weapon lowers slightly.I was thinking that maybe it could lower slightly and stay lowered.This can give 1st person players that needed real estate they need.Need more security of weapon fully ready then go tactical but if you need to scan for enemies then go low ready.

Edited by Wolfstriked

Good idea. Not sure about default key binding, because going to optics and then lowering the weapon feels weird, but low ready stance should be implemented. Also it would be nice to be able to shoot straight from low ready - as you press your fire key/button you would automatically go to regular stance (it would take approx. 1/4 second) and fire with random small deviation that would fix itself within next 1 - 1.5 seconds (crosshair, if enabled, would float back to center of the screen). That would simulate "ow crap!" situation when you quickly raise the weapon, aim down the barrel and make corrections as you shoot.

I don't think you should be able to shoot from low ready and the fact that you can see better is the reason to choose this stance.If you need to fire though pressing the fire weapon button causes weapon to fire at ground.;) Instead depress tactical key or go to actual scope and your ready to go.Just watched a video where Rocket is trying out two different approaches to weapon handling in Dayz.First is like Arma3 with second option being that weapon is slightly lowered by default and you have to press and hold the mouse button to shoulder weapon.They are trying to get away from the weapons always up and in the face of the person your talking to.

Check out 04:40

Low-Ready stance will be great. Jog currently has it and it looks pretty cool. And yeah... in ArmA2 one of the things I hated is when people were gathering before the mission - all weapons were always pointed at each other's faces unless 2x Ctrl.

When watching Ground Branch KS training level video low-ready stance is one of the things I liked.

Of course the option to shoulder the weapon without aiming should be there. I think combat pace button does it well since it's like a default "ready to fight" stance now.

And yeah for DayZ it will make sense too. A person with a shouldered weapon is a clear indication of danger to you.

What the hell are you guys talking about? Double tap ctrl. It's already there.

As far as I understand you want a 'hip ready stance' so the gun is aiming forward but at hip level?

So with lame crosshairs whats the point of having sights?!?!

I do think the lowered pose (2x Ctrl) should be the default stance tho.

Edited by EDcase

Hi, to walk crouched (as on alert) you rest your AR on your shoulder have it pointing down front "if you spect company" or down left if you youst have to crouch for pass by some place, like two threes... a hole on fence and things like that.. the "low-ready" is AFAIK with the stock on the shoulder and the AR pointing forward and downwards like 3 inches. Let's C ya

As far as I understand you want a 'hip ready stance' so the gun is aiming forward but at hip level?

Normal combat stance

modified-low-ready.jpg

Low-ready stance (weapon not obscuring the view but can be prepared to fire instantly)

modified-low-ready-position.jpg

Default ArmA3 stance:

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/8/82565/2451266-107410_screenshots_2013-03-05_00002.jpg

Weapon is obscuring almost 1/5 of the view even though you are not aiming.

Also will be a lot more comfortable navigating in tight spaces due to weapon taking less space in front of you. Auto-lowering would work better though.

Edited by metalcraze

Yep as Metalcraze pointed out.Think of it in that the weapon has four states.

Sighted is obviously looking thru the weapons sight.

Shouldered so your view has the weapon fully up allowing you to fire without going to sights by using the crosshairs but taking a good amount of view space at same time.

modified-low-ready.jpg

Low-Ready where the weapon is lowered even more as in this pic allowoing more situational awareness.Its already in game when your jogging but the weapon should stay low-ready when you stop moving and also same if low-ready is chosen when at walking speeds.

modified-low-ready-position.jpg

And then weapon lowered fully.

Think of tactical key as the tactical/low-ready toggle.So pressing it you can quickly toggle between shouldered and low-ready giving you the choice of having either the weapon up,to be able to quickly fire but with restricted view or weapon low-ready with better awareness but having to go to actual sights when enemy is spotted.Yes you could just press the lower weapon fully key but this adds in a bit of clunkiness with the extra key press.Plus it looks more realistic when the weapons are slightly lowered in 1st person/3rd person and also to other players.

Hope this is what the others here are asking for.....and that this made any sense.:D

Edited by Wolfstriked

I had this idea also, but I'm not too fond of having to push a button to do so. I think that it should be the standard position and you will only lift your weapon when aiming down sights, or have fired your weapon off in the last 30 seconds or so. This will help with people constantly pointing there guns in other peoples faces and will keep some people from firing from the hip unless they aren't exactly trying to hit (like taking pop-shots or suppressing)

That's the idea. Low-ready by default, right click will bring sights at the same speed as moving your head to look through them now.

Can add a button to toggle weapon to always ready state - won't make anything worse since most of the time you play it's not needed and you do want those additional 20% of FOV.

Obviously if you will just hit LMB it will quickly bring weapon to ready state (but without aiming down sights) and it will fire for as long as you hold LMB. May also add 3-4 seconds delay before lowering when you release LMB in case you just want to advance and do short non-aimed bursts down range making it comfortable.

Edited by metalcraze

Just a question I been wondering and been holding back asking for it might be stupid.Is it possible to move the crosshair downwards slightly or must it be centered for technical reasons.I ask because the game looks better when the crosshair moves down by a little around 1/4 the distance from center screen to bottom of screen or even a little less.Just go in game and press look and move the view up a bit so that crosshair moves down the screen slightly.I find it gives the game a better look as if the weapon was on your shoulder.Centered onscreen and it looks to be up towards the head and feels off to me.

If I can play the game this way with trackir and it works perfectly I wonder why all games have it so crosshairs are centered onscreen.We have widescreens to give a bit more view area to the sides so why are weapons forced onto center screen when they look better slightly lowered....even when going to sights.

If you voted up in this thread please take a moment to see the below ticket which I posted at the beginning of April:

Feedback ticket: 0006724

I think it covers what is being discussed here. Of course if you disagree go ahead and say why over there too, let the devs know what you think because it's potentially a game-changer.

-Phal

If you voted up in this thread please take a moment to see the below ticket which I posted at the beginning of April:

Feedback ticket: 0006724

I think it covers what is being discussed here. Of course if you disagree go ahead and say why over there too, let the devs know what you think because it's potentially a game-changer.

-Phal

Read and upvoted. Nice stuff.

Added this to the ticket...

""I been thinking that maybe getting rid of the tactical key would be better and instead use the lower weapon key to do just that,lower weapon to the next lower animation.In tactical pace and you click lower weapon key you enter low-ready animation and you click lower weapon key again and you lower weapon fully.And vice versa with the fire key where you press once and it goes to low-ready animation and you click again and it enters tactical pace animation.Right now you have to hit the tactical key to raise the weapon and if you fire while in low-ready the weapon instead fires into the ground.

If you hit optics key with weapon fully lowered it goes straight to sight which BTW right now in alpha it doesn't go to optics but just slightly zooms the view in.

Would just feel more natural IMO to hit a key and weapon lowers and hit it again and it lowers fully.""

It should be low ready. By default. As it is unreal life!

The aiming deadzone is used for a horizontal movement with your head, the size is configureable in the options.

How about when we use a vertical free movement for this task? Certainly it wouldn't work with a circle, but for sure from the middle (aimpoint) to the bottom of the screen.

The feature to click with the trigger to raise the weapon is already there.

I haven't vote yet.

The aiming deadzone is used for a horizontal movement with your head, the size is configureable in the options.

How about when we use a vertical free movement for this task? Certainly it wouldn't work with a circle, but for sure from the middle (aimpoint) to the bottom of the screen.

The feature to click with the trigger to raise the weapon is already there.

I haven't vote yet.

That idea was proposed by Psychomorph in his pretty good post, more exactly in this picture from it. I wouldn´t have any problem with such a method to get the weapon out of sight, but sadly I don´t think the low-ready state will make it into the game as seen by this poll results (pretty few voters) and the feedback tracker being full of other very relevant problems. Let´s just wait and see :j:

Since we got a stance indicator already, what about the low-ready stance? I'm eagerly waiting for it, would be really useful.

I'm not sure how much work it is, I think a reply/statement from @Smookie or any other dev might be helpful. It's a lack of realism in my opinion.

Also setting a low-ready stance, once it implemented as default would be a sweet thing, too.

Brill. Really solid.

Unfortunately I have problems with the game that are far more elemental.

As refinement? Best of luck; keep on keepin' on!

A test version of Low-Ready for walking is in-game, but has currently not got more than just the forward walking animation:

In addition to that did anyone ever wanted to lower weapon when prone?

As when you are waiting in ambush position on one place for a while and

you wanna go afk for few minutes lowering weapon would be awesome

to prevent misfire.It adds variety of manipulation of weapon when in prone

position.

Since we got a stance indicator already, what about the low-ready stance? I'm eagerly waiting for it, would be really useful.

I'm not sure how much work it is, I think a reply/statement from @Smookie or any other dev might be helpful. It's a lack of realism in my opinion.

Also setting a low-ready stance, once it implemented as default would be a sweet thing, too.

I would love that too. Some ideas have been already put forward but they will need to wait until the campaign is fully released :)