mikie boy

Arma 3 Scripting Tutorial For Noobs

well , time for me to start learning some script : )

keep up the good work ; )

Excellent tutorials. Very well written and I like how much care you take to keep the reader at it. Will Chap 4 include some of your better well known tricks like suicide bombers, etc.? :D

Thanks man. Your guide taught me more in 15 min of reading then the hours I've spent in the past trying to learn this.

Thanks man. Your guide taught me more in 15 min of reading then the hours I've spent in the past trying to learn this.

I'll 2nd that! I've read the first chapter and I'm on the second. There's no bones about it, by merely reading the guide it would have potentially saved me hours of time messing around with the process of elimination of managing to accomplish things. It's incredibly rewarding too to finally understand what was initially "WTF???" Although I've not put together my own script yet I feel I now understand how it all works thanks to the guide.

Nice one Mikie ;)

Cheers chaps for all the kind words, glad it has been well received and you are finding it useful.

You should quickly read through this thread to see if any of the errors (typos) i made are not duplicated when you follow it. Only think there are a couple.

Hopefully i should have some time around end of June to actually complete chapter 4, and get the multiplayer guide completed.

Im hoping to setup a guide on how to put a project/mission together

Mike

hello i got a question,

so when the player die i want it to run a script file and not let the player spawn befor the script file allow it so how can i make the script file run when the player die?

Use event handlers.. Depending on what u want to do.. Could use rescan or killed.

well im making a revive script so when the player die it will start a timer and do some commands

Used killed event handle. Which is BASICALLY, 'In the eve t of death do this'... When player dies u can respawn him in same position.

You could also have a wait until command for waiting until players health gets to a certain level. Then stop him dying and put him in unconscious state. Various ways to do it really.

im not sure how im going to do thats so do you have a code line for that or?

Check the tutorial has it in there whole section on eventhandlers

will this work:

CL_Revive_Killed = compile preprocessFile "CL_Revive\Dead.sqf";

player addEventHandler ["killed", CL_Revive_killed];

okey i got this working now but how can you know the regular respawn time i want to remove the timer when it run my script file and make the unit stay and the location where he died at and then when the script is over the respawn

timer can come

Hey all. Yeah sorry haven't been on here in a long while. Family life and uni. Gona be a while before i get the next part out. Things have changed on arma quite a bit since I was last on and a lot to catch up on. Terox haven't had a chance to look at you link mate but ill Def add it if it's useful to others.

Amazing work on all three chapters whatsoever, Mikey! Really inspiring to get other people teach other stuff that you're not being paid for!

I want to create a multiplayer PVP mission. with 4 teams. Csat, Nato, AAF, FIA (Civilians with Fia gear).

And I want to have 4 start positions and assing each team a start position randomly at the start of the mission with the result of 24 diferent combinations.

RlPvFPG.jpg[/img]

Does anyone know how to acomplish that?

A damn fine guide, mikie.

Will there be a chapter 4?

Alas No....

Ive pretty much given up on Arma. Sorry to disappoint. Just havent got the time any more and I last played Arma several months ago.

Glad it help nonetheless

Mike

• Like 3

Alas No....

Ive pretty much given up on Arma. Sorry to disappoint. Just havent got the time any more and I last played Arma several months ago.

Glad it help nonetheless

Mike

Well that's sad to hear. Still though, thank you for all the hard work you've put in to create the three chapters.

Great stuff *****(stars). I had a blast reading and follow it through. And I learned that I really am a noob :). I eventually found my way to this guide because I had some stupid behavior from scripting in Arma3, things that I normally did not have problems or errors with. And I could not for the world understand what/ where the fault was. And since I have had a break I figured - back to basics.

Turns out - if you use ArmaEdit and create a new file from button (not list) that default file in my case was .sqs ,which I happily renamed to .sqf (->BAD!<-). So parts of the syntax and code worked, and parts did not (I had some weird results and errors). Imagine now when code works again :). Just can't believe how thorough this guide really is that the author (gonna call you Dave) even managed to cover that part (indirectly even).  

Last thing. I can't download 2nd chapter (1st and 3rd link worked). Anyone?