Sign in to follow this  
WhoCares

Computer games set for big screen

Haven't seen a topic about this, so I'll post a new one.

According to a BBC report, Hollywood plans to make movies from 'Alien vs Predator' and 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein'.

Wouldn't this be a good opportunity to revive the discussion about the cinematic opportunities of OFP, and now even more of Resistance? tounge.gif

Bad, bad, BAD idea. Want proof? Allow me to submit exhibit A: The Mario Brothers Movie.

What other reason do you need to see that turning games into movies is a bad idea?

Alien vs Predator could be an entertaining movie if the script was right. Done in the same spirit as Aliens I would definatly see it.

AVP has been on the books for a long time...way before the computer game, but it seems like the creative teams from both titles couldn't get it together until now...

Man, the AVP comic (original) was cool...I hope they can combine two of my all time fave movies successfully!  smile.gif  (Remember in Pred 2, there is a shot of the inside of it's ship with it's trophies,  one of which was an Alien (xeno-) skull.)

Hmm, maybe Robocop vs. Terminator next... tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ July 23 2002,11:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Bad, bad, BAD idea. Want proof? Allow me to submit exhibit A: The Mario Brothers Movie.

What other reason do you need to see that turning games into movies is a bad idea?<span id='postcolor'>

Ah yes, but the awesome Street Fighter movie (with Van Damme and Kylie Minogue) proved that computer game movie adaptions can be wonderful! [/sarcasm]

U're not entirely correct! There were decent movies made out of computer games.................. *goes silent for 20 minutes trying to think of one* ..... nevermind.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ July 23 2002,12:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I actually thought Wing Commander was quite good<span id='postcolor'>

I hope you're joking... That's one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

I loved it when they fired a "broadside" at the kilrathis... biggrin.gif

Yeah, the AvP comics were great. so I am sure the movie will be nothing like that.

According to what I have pieced together the guy that did "Event Horizon" is responsible for AvP. And the script is nothing like the comic.

I already thought from the very start that the concept behind the game AvP was rediculous. Something like "Who will win? Super Man vs. Spider man" or "Who will win? 100 grizzly bears vs M1A1 Abrams".

..and now they are making a movie about it. Who is the target audience? Five year olds? confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 23 2002,14:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I already thought from the very start that the concept behind the game AvP was rediculous. Something like "Who will win? Super Man vs. Spider man" or "Who will win? 100 grizzly bears vs  M1A1 Abrams".

..and now they are making a movie about it. Who is the target audience? Five year olds?  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

See, the thing is, an AvP movie would ostensibly be about aliens fighting each other, which would appeal to the average 10-30 year old male. but instead of sticking with that, they make the whole movie focus on some humans played by B-movie actors. And so the franchise is born and so it dies. I can see the future tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 23 2002,14:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Who will win? 100 grizzly bears vs  M1A1 Abrams".<span id='postcolor'>

we already concluded that M1A1 wins.(you proved it)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ July 23 2002,14:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Event Horizon was a damn good movie!<span id='postcolor'>

Agreed...definitely in my top ten.

Denoir, AvP isn't that ridiculous a concept...the comics (and their storyline) were excellent.

I know crossovers are generally a disaster, but if done right could be absolutley kickass!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ July 23 2002,11:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Bad, bad, BAD idea. Want proof? Allow me to submit exhibit A: The Mario Brothers Movie.

What other reason do you need to see that turning games into movies is a bad idea?<span id='postcolor'>

*shudders* Please dont remind me about that movie.

mortal kombat wasnt too bad a movie. I hope AvP is going to be good.

I can't wait for the Deus Ex movie, I've been playing the game now in bits and peices and it's a damn good story.

-=Die Alive=-

I wonder if they make OFP movie are they going to include bouncing tanks in it? tounge.gif

I say, if youre going to make a game into a movie, make a movie out of one with a substantial story line. I think OFP has the potential to be one of the best war movies ever, under that rationale. Aliens has already seen four movies. Might be time to just give it a rest.

I can see it now... OFP the movie...

Oscar nominated for best Writing, with gems that will be remembered for generations to come, like this one:

"You stink Fowley"

tounge.gif

If anyone needs to shape up, it's you Armstrong. I've seen sumo wrestlers with flatter stomach than yours!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ July 23 2002,23:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I can see it now... OFP the movie...

Oscar nominated for best Writing, with gems that will be remembered for generations to come, like this one:

"You stink Fowley"

tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOL.

Oscar nominated for best writing, "Oh no 1 is down" "Damn 2 is down"

Wait wasnt there suppose to be a mod called OFP the movie? I remeber seeing it on CZ but i havent heard anything of it since...

Max Payne would be similier to THe Matrix with all the bullet time in it. The story was great but the game itself was a movie practically with the (Something) Novel. I read somewhere that MAx Payne is becoming a movie