Sign in to follow this  
xmurderx

Did you cry during saving private ryan?

"Upham is a traductor and an ordnance ....... who is he to talk about the duty of a soldier on the battlefield ? his best friend is his writing machine ..."

Upham does not know much about war personally. But he quotes a man I think had some insight to it. At any rate, he is right. Soldiers are not to question why, they are just to do or die. As in, soldiers follow orders. Bottom line.

"miller explains ..... hmmm ... i personnaly think that is bullshit , will a SAR helo pilot have the right to get back home after saving somebody ? . bad example , but have we actually heard it from the miller's superiors ?"

No. Do we have to? No. Miller says it, so we can assume that is the deal that applies for the movie. Maybe, by saving Ryan, they get a cushion assignment for the rest of the term. Or, he simple refers to the "do or die" bit again. By following orders, they eventually earn the right to go home. With full honors.

hmmm ... maybe , but i don't see the point of sending a platoon to find 1 guy

In a way, I can't blame Upham for feeling out of sorts with his new infantry assignment. Sure he went through basic training, but he didn't go through Infantry school. I used to be in Quartermaster, so I can guess how scary it would be to go into combat with only basic combat training.

But then your sense of duty as a soldier kicks in, and you remember that you're a soldier first. If you finished basic training, you are a soldier who is trained at the art of warfare. And I can completely understand being scared going into combat. How can you not be? But there was NO excuse for that little shit to just sit there blubbering on the stairs when his buddy was getting knifed. Or at least to not shoot the German as he came to the top of the stairs afterward.

As we say in the Army, he was ate up. He was a soup sandwich. He was not squared away. He was tore up from the floor up (my personal favourite).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Turkish @ July 23 2002,19:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you finished basic training, you are a soldier who is trained at the art of warfare.  <span id='postcolor'>

with basic training you're only trained to crawl in the mud and to use a rifle , it's how i feel the basic training i've received during my service timebasic as in basic training : you learn how to use a gun , ou learn how to move , that's all , the things you learn after are "the art of warfare"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ July 23 2002,19:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"miller explains ..... hmmm ... i personnaly think that is bullshit , will a SAR helo pilot have the right to get back home after saving somebody ? . bad example , but have we actually heard it from the miller's superiors ?"

No. Do we have to? No. Miller says it, so we can assume that is the deal that applies for the movie. Maybe, by saving Ryan, they get a cushion assignment for the rest of the term. Or, he simple refers to the "do or die" bit again. By following orders, they eventually earn the right to go home. With full honors.<span id='postcolor'>

I think you guys missed the point.

It's not about the literal act of going home..or getting a cushy assignment. It's spiritually..

Miller feels like he cant go home. Like the things that he has seen and done have permanantly removed him from a state where he can live as he did before the war. But if he goes to rescue Ryan... if he finds Ryan and gets him home safe, then perhaps he has redeemed his soul to the point where he can feel like he CAN 'go home' where he can be a human being again in a way that he may not be now.

Thats my take anyways... Maybe I am reading too much into it.

First time i saw terminator 2: Judgment day, at the end where Arnold has to kill himself. They did a good job of making that a very emotional scene. I think i was around eight or nine years old at the time, but still...

I think movies helps prevent wars though.Sure most of them are not accurate all the time,sometimes they not always telling the  truth.However though,if you look at black hawk down,like when the guy is bleeding to death on the table,or how that one guy got blown outta the truck by and rpg and everything from his belly button down was gone.Also saving private ryan on d-day.The guy with the guts laying on the beach bleeding to death in tons of pain.Now if that doesn't make you don't wanna go to war ,i don't know what will.Sure history books may be accurate in most cases,but they fail at the pictures and special effects of people getting blown to bits and guts hanging outta your stomach.

"Sure history books may be accurate in most cases,but they fail at the pictures and special effects of people getting blown to bits and guts hanging outta your stomach."

...to which most movie goers say "Cool! He got his arm blown off!!". Kind of counterproductive really.

"It's not about the literal act of going home..or getting a cushy assignment. It's spiritually..."

Could be, but I dont think so. He says something to the effect of "If finding private Ryan earns me the right to go home, then that is what I am going to do". Later, at the bridge, he and the sergeant reflect over the more moral and spiritual side of it. That saving private Ryan might be the only decent thing they got out of that whole, shitty mess. But I do think by finding private Ryan they would get some kind of cushion reward. Why else use the term "earn me the right to go home"?

I could be wrong... but I really dont think so. smile.gif

At the radar installation, the things he talks about arent of a physical plane...they are mental and spiritual. Its like he's crossed a bridge from Mr Miller the Teacher to Captain Miller the Soldier. And saving ryan will let him cross that bridge again, metaphorically speaking.

And knowing the way Spielburg seems to think, that fits better than a purely physical motivation..

I wish they would release Band of Brothers on DVD. I missed it when they played it on TV

It is always fun to speculate. Who knows, he might actually mean both ways of going home smile.gif

Vey good point, Longinius smile.gif

Sometimes a film can be a complement to a book as well. For isntance, I picked up couple Steven Ambrose titles when I saw a preview for Band of Brothers. I've read BoB, Pegasus Bridge and The Victors. I also re read Cornelius Ryan's A Bridge Too Far... and I have The Longest Day on order. All because seeing the preview for Band of Brothers resparked my interest in WW II history.

well, i dunno about you guys, but as a watching it as a soldier was a very sobering experience......

before combat training ive shown my men the start of the film, so to cool them up a bit....

it did a marvelous job.

This thread is making me cry! Boohoo!!! All the sad stories posted here confused.gif

I got a lump when watching Black Hawk Down, when the "skinnies" were advancing on the guys that were traped in the chopper. yup, thats the part.

Ive never really cried while watching a movie. I think the time where i really got close was when i watched BHD when shugart was killed and that guy jumped in with a pistol and shot him so many times. That really made me think of how lucky i am that i dont have to live there.

*sniff*

I'm still just a kid but I made a decision to go out and fight. Sure I admit I am NAIVE(I remember some of us could not spell it some time back biggrin.gif ) but I feel if we all tryed we could make the world a better place. I've never cried in a movie cause I'm a desesitized unfeeling 14 year old bastard(and the dictionary form of bastard too.) </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"I now know why you cry, but is still something I'll never be able to do." Arnold T2<span id='postcolor'>

I cry everytime I watch it at the end. Only two things in this world make me cry, girls and a sad war flick. Oh, I cried when the World Trade Center was destroyed. I rampaged for about 8 hours and then just broke down when I went over to my mom's house. As men, we are taught to bottle up our emotions. I just let mine flow most of the time, keeps my blood pressure and stress level down. See little old men war vets crying gets me right here <3.

Being completely cold and cruel isn't good. There are generally two types of men, Warrior Man or Contemplative Man. Then there are a few of us who strive to be Renaissance Men. I personally believe that it is the best way to be. It's something I strive for. Yes, I'm trained to take the lives of other men, but at the same time I write poetry and appreciate the beauty of nature. Often I have moments of clarity, when I can just sit there in awe of something so simple, yet beautiful. I think it is something that you learn to do after going through alot of shitty, tough experiences. Some people become victims and just chose to exist instead of live. I chose to just enjoy the good things in life that much more.

I'm cold just not cruel. I haven't cried in years. Sure I've felt sad and remorse but its been years since I have shed a tear. I hope this doesn't explode anytime soon. Its not exactly a tough act since when I feel like crying I just can't. its like something is automatically holding me back.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm cold just not cruel. I haven't cried in years. Sure I've felt sad and remorse but its been years since I have shed a tear. I hope this doesn't explode anytime soon. Its not exactly a tough act since when I feel like crying I just can't. its like something is automatically holding me back.

<span id='postcolor'>

Just let it all out man, or you will die of a cardiac arrest or a stroke at 45.

Of course it is much easier when you have a woman around to leech all of the testosterone out of you. tounge.gif

Leech, huh? ........never heard it called that before tounge.gif

Yeah, all women come with a standard issue testosterone extractor. My roomate originally coined the phrase. I found out exactly what he was talking about when I was finally deflowered. tounge.gif

Deflowered LOL, haven't heard that one for a while. But yes it is true biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ July 23 2002,18:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I disagree with you.  Market Garden was a bold plan.  And it really only 'failed' by a few miles.  Like any operation on that scale, there WERE some fuck ups (radios that didnt work, crashed gliders keeping them from linking up at Arnhem Bridge, etc) but over all it was a very well executed plan, and awfully daring.<span id='postcolor'>

The few miles were laden with 88 paks and a SS panzer division. Might as well been a hundred miles.

The greatest fuck-up was to initiate the operation at the first place, especially since intel photos showed a resting SS panzer division in the area. The brass dismissed these photos with this sentence: "Those are broken up or don't have fuel." Right.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think movies helps prevent wars though<span id='postcolor'>

I don't really think so.

Of course, like the beginning of SPR, war movies can be shocking,

but 99% of the cases, they are still some kind of "tales of survival".

Somebody always makes it out alive to tell the story, and people

watching movies or listening to stories often relate to the survivor(s).

And some movies make war look beautiful.

For example: SPR, the rainy part in the first city.

Soldiers look tough and kind of beautiful when they are operating in heavy rain,

but just think how it must feel to be soaking wet and confused and not

knowing which step will be your last.

Another example: (in many war movies)

Soldier running, and bullets hitting each side of him, bouncing off the ground

just 10cm away from his legs.

Looks cool, but I would hate to do that.

Very rarely, IMO, in these scenes, the "running soldier" gets hit.

Again, just my 2 cents.

I had a tear in my eye when I saw the landing in Saving Private Ryan. but watching the old guys talk in between episodes of Band of Brothers gets through to me every time I see it. one of the guys is saying about how when you lost friends you just knuckled down and carried on. but after it really caught up with him... I've never witnesed that kind of emotion before.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">when i watched BHD when shugart was killed and that guy jumped in with a pistol and shot him so many times.<span id='postcolor'>

this is the only thing I don't like about films. in the book no~one witneses Shugharts death. Mike Durrant says he heard a 'mad fussilade that lasted two miniutes. then Randy Shughart cry out in pain'. the book was written on the account of most of(if not all) the men who survived Bakara Market.

Randy Shughart and Gary Gordon where both Heros. they at least deserved to be portrayed realisticaly...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i cried once while watching a film ....... bambi : when the fucking hunter killed mumma deer ...... <span id='postcolor'>

I forgot about that!. I was about 6-8 when I saw it at the Cinema!!...