Sign in to follow this  
xmurderx

Did you cry during saving private ryan?

just wondering, everytime I watch saving private ryan I get all teary eyed because I know it was real and I cant begin to imagne what those men went through.

edit: not the whole movie, just those specific scenes like the landing, the jewish guy crying about the holocaust, etc

I have never cried while watching a movie.

<secret>

I cried a little bit when Leonardo drowned in 'Titanic'

</secret>

tounge.gif

I dont cry during movies. But I will give you this: The most affected Ive been by any film would be the Band of Brothers series.

I usually get affected by little stuff in movies. Things related to self sacrifice and friendship. Like in "Black Hawk Down" when Gordon and Shughart reach the downed helicopter. I get a little lump in my throat then knowing that those two guys put their life on the line to save a friend. I guess bravery gets to me, because we see so much cowardice and injustice everyday in the "real" world.

Today they had an article about everyday heroes in the local newspaper. There was this one 68 year old guy who was fixing his car one day when he suddenly noticed a brawl on the sidewalk. Some idiot was attacking a woman, cutting her up with a knife. They guy immidiatly charged and started to wrestle with the aggressor. Another man who was driving by with his pregnant wife stopped the car and got out and helped him. Together they subdued the aggressor and kept him pinned until the police got there. Meanwhile, scores of people just ignored it. That kind of stuff affects me.

(Edit: And fyi, the woman in that case died. The guy stabbed her twelve times. The 68 year old man noticed the brawl at the ninth stab and when he got there the last stab had allready landed.)

Ive never cryed during a movie. But the movie that touched me deepest was probably Schindlers List (spell?).

The coldness is just terrifiyng.

I cried tears during "Life of Bryan" and "coconut knights"

I often laugh so much (but kind of silent) that I get tears in my eyes. I am not realy into sad stories.

"Band of Brothers," when they went into the concentration camp did it for me.

Another that had the same effect was "Warriors."

sometimes around the girlfreind Ill try to suck it in. shes really emotional though, she cried at the part where that german put the knife in the guy in ramell. I geuss bravery does get to me too, every day things are really touching to read. for exapmle a russian su-25 pilot was shot down over checnya and rebels took him and threatened to kill him and try to negotiate him for pows but in the end the people of the village brought him back to the russians. the same people who had to suffer the scours of war at the hands of the russians spared his life.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ July 23 2002,11:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dont cry during movies. But I will give you this: The most affected Ive been by any film would be the Band of Brothers series.<span id='postcolor'>

They are showing it in Finland at the moment. It's surprising how many Tiger tanks they're encountering. I didn't know that germans even manufactured that many. biggrin.gif

I also dig the fact that they described Operation Market Garden as a "bold plan that failed" instead of the complete fuck-up it was.

Anyway, I'll go back to playing Panzer Elite. I have U.S. tank platoons to decimate with my Panther... tounge.gifwink.gif

I've never cried from a movie...or even got emotional...guess I'm just a heartless hard bastard.

i cried once while watching a film ....... bambi : when the fucking hunter killed mumma deer ...... really

but , the last films that made me "think" were :

saving private ryan , well ..... a psychological dilemn .... why sending a platoon in deep enemy territory to find 1 man , only 1 , two solutions : stay in a quiet zone and nnot acting and once back saying that ryan was dead , or going into the fight , save ryan (the war would be finished for him , but miller and the others would continue) , why going to save 1 guy ? why will he get back home ? etc ..... , many questions ect .....

band of brothers , some episods were really touching especially those where some important people die and also the concetration camp episod ... dunno how they did for all those corpses tho ... watched a documentary about death camps right after ...... almost no difference between the images of the serie and the ones of the documentary  , frightened me to see it in color

warrior(s) , very touching and interesting movie , first appearance of damian lewis (dick winters in BoB) , very well acted , depicted really well the situation there and shown the though of the un peacekeepers

jean moulin (it's about a french resistant , one of the most important , he was like the "chief" of the resistance , he has been tortured to death) , i almost cried at the end when they almost beat him to death

i'm often affected by the death of important characters in movies (miller in saving private ryan , jean moulin etc ...) , the character that are well depicted , those who you follow since 1 hour and half smile.gif

"saving private ryan , well ..... a psychological dilemn .... why sending a platoon in deep enemy territory to find 1 man , only 1 , two solutions : stay in a quiet zone and nnot acting and once back saying that ryan was dead , or going into the fight , save ryan (the war would be finished for him , but miller and the others would continue) , why going to save 1 guy ? why will he get back home ? etc ..... , many questions ect ...."

1. Because of their duty as soldiers, as Upham explains in the movie.

2. Because it earns them the right to go home, like Captain Miller explains.

Upham is a traductor and an ordnance ....... who is he to talk about the duty of a soldier on the battlefield ? his best friend is his writing machine ...

miller explains ..... hmmm ... i personnaly think that is bullshit , will a SAR helo pilot have the right to get back home after saving somebody ? . bad example , but have we actually heard it from the miller's superiors ?

I got a giant lump in my throat at the very beginning, when the old man walks past the rows and rows and rows of white crosses. It never really hit me until then that that many thousands of men died in one day.

Also, the concentration camp and final episodes of Band of Brothers were very very poigniant for me. I also really really enjoyed (in an emotional way) the episode where they take Carentan, and it kind of focuses on Pvt. Blythe and his struggle. I thought it was very poetic at the end of the episode (ep. 3), when he takes the Edelweiss from the Fallschirmjaeger and sticks it in his own coat.

The worst was We Were Soldiers, when his little girl asks him if they (the enemy) are going to take his life away. She's so sweet when she asks him that, and I thought of my little 1-year old daughter growing up without a daddy if I had to go to war and died (which is a potential reality). I just about lost it there.

To sum it up, I really get kind of emotional at movies that remind me why I'm a soldier.

I think its pretty depressing when people learn about the horror of war solely from films. School should give a more rigourous historical education to those people. I happen to think that history is a very important thing.

that's right , somebody well known (can't remember who lol) said :

"those who don't remind their history are codamned to revive it "

or something like that

I've never cried in a movie before. But, the scene in Saving Private Ryan where Wade died in that field with everybody around him was very intense. Also in Black Hawk Down, when the guys tried to save Smith in the Somali house. The talk that the Delta guy gave to Eversmann afterwards was intense.

wow.gif7--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ July 23 2002,11wow.gif7)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">that's right , somebody well known (can't remember who lol) said :

or something like that<span id='postcolor'>

George Santayana said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Edit: I fixed the misquote

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ July 23 2002,17:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ July 23 2002,11<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">that's right , somebody well known (can't remember who lol) said :

or something like that<span id='postcolor'>

George Santayana said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Edit:  I fixed the misquote<span id='postcolor'>

thx lol

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I also dig the fact that they described Operation Market Garden as a "bold plan that failed" instead of the complete fuck-up it was.

<span id='postcolor'>

I disagree with you.  Market Garden was a bold plan.  And it really only 'failed' by a few miles.  Like any operation on that scale, there WERE some fuck ups (radios that didnt work, crashed gliders keeping them from linking up at Arnhem Bridge, etc) but over all it was a very well executed plan, and awfully daring.

I have read a couple of books on the subject, and now I am trying to find Montgomerys memoirs so I can see what he has to say.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think its pretty depressing when people learn about the horror of war solely from films. School should give a more rigourous historical education to those people. I happen to think that history is a very important thing. <span id='postcolor'>

I cant agree with you more.  Sadly it seems that the vast majority of primrary and high school education programs are straying away from teaching history in a meaningful way.  Instead of concentrating on an era, they try to cram the entire scope of human history into every school year.  

TO the subject at hand...I got a little teary at the end...where Miller is on the bridge.  I was also very sad that that little fuck Upham managed to survive biggrin.gif