Sign in to follow this  
anthropoid

Anthropoid Missions

I would wait till I have a 'pack' of them, but since this one works (one user has playtested it through) and I want to get feedback on improving my mission making skills . . .

My first mission!

"Mission",

"7 Dec 2014, 23:50: A squad of 11 Marine special operators call-sign Delta-7 will conduct direct action inside enemy territory at the village of Nur. Objective is the destruction of four weapons caches suspected hidden in and around the village center. Insertion 2.5km west of Nur by MH-60S will be at 23:00. Proceed on foot to a small air-dropped munitions cache, Checkpoint Alpha (spawn point), 700m west of Nur for final instructions. Reconnoiter the situation and execute the mission by whatever means are expedient. After destroying the targets, move east to Checkpoint Bravo for extraction.",

"Situation",

"The situation in Takistan has deteriorated rapidly since the assassination of President Karmbi last March. The Takiban now control most of the northern portion of the country and their influence is spreading in the south. Recent HUMINT, partially confirmed by satellite reconnaisance indicates that a shipment of Russian weapons arrived yesterday in the village of Nur. Nur is a historical bastion of Takiban support and base of operations for Colonel Azzizz, the infamous Butcher of Bastam. Destruction of these munitions would achieve both a material and psychological impact that should weaken the Takiban's growing power.",

"Execution",

"We believe that the munitions have been separated into four caches hidden in and around buildings near the center of the village of Nur. There may be more than four caches, so equip your squad with additional devices at your discretion.

A full platoon of Takiban irregulars are dug-in at Nur. However, the enemy is unlikely to have anticipated an attack this far inside of his controlled territory. Prepared defenses and heavy weapon emplacements are unlikely. Because your insertion site is 2.5km from Nur, it is unlikely that the enemy will be alerted to your presence in the area prior to your arrival on foot at Checkpoint Alpha. However, combined intelligence indicates that enemy patrols extend up to 1km from the village center.

Delta-7 has authorization to use unrestrained lethal force against any and all armed personnel in the area. Unnecessary civilian casualties are to be avoided if at all possible.",

"Allied forces",

"The MH-60S which will provide insertion and extraction and a small munitions cache will be airdropped at Checkpoint Alpha just before you arrive. Unfortunately this is the full extent of support available. You will be heavily outnumbered and assaulting an enemy in a defensive posture inside a town loyal to the enemy. Azzizz has been engaged in vigorous recruitment, training and arms buildup in recent weeks. However, it is unlikely that the enemy is well-equipped, well-trained or disciplined."

"Weather",

"As of 22:10, the weather in north-central Takistan is overcast with moderate fog. Moreover, the forecast is for these unusual conditions to persist for at least the next 12 hours.

Despite being deep inside enemy territory and heavily outnumbered, with conditions on a night like this, Delta-7 is well-situated to exemplify our Force Recon motto:

Celer, Silens, Mortalis

Swift, Silent, Deadly"

The earlier version that the user tested through was _slightly_ different and easier, so I cannot guarantee how difficult this will be to finish. He described the earlier version as "almost like shooting fish in a barrel" so I don't expect I've made an error to make it a bit more challenging. None of the waypoints/triggers, etc were changed so the mission should progress and finish fine just as it did I the 'alpha' version that was tested.

My immediate goal with mission making is to make Coop missions that are also playable for SP (in general) so I intend to avoid: large squads exceeding 15 soldiers; divisions into teams that will leave some AI teams without human oversight. Long-term I hope to be able to make a COOP MSO version of LOST by MarkB50K.

I'm up for suggestions on themes/content for additional missions. So far the only suggestion I've got is:

1. OPFOR as player group

2. Use Dynamic AI or other means to make the player group feel like being part of something bigger

3. Lots of stuff blowing up

4. (Based on the User Requests thread) Assaults

I very much appreciate any feedback or suggestions on the mission, and if you are a mission maker who might be able to offer me some suggestions on design, feel free to de-pbo it and see what you think.

Armaholic - Nur at Night Co11

Mediafire - Nur at Night Co11

Any other/better suggestions than mediafire for hosting?

ADDIT: In playtesting it SP this morning, I already know there is at least one problem in the conditions set for "Mission Accomplished."

Got pinned down in the Extraction site and the chopper got blown up. This somehow triggered "Mission Accomplished" Ending.

Also, I am not sure if, given how I have my chopper extraction setup, if I might be able to set the chopper to fight back and not risk it taking off and flying around to fight before the squad actually gets in the chopper?

If anyone with design experience de-pbo's it and can make sense of the tangle of waypoints and trigger links I do appreciate any suggestions on how to set the Mission end conditions more efficiently.

ADDIT*2 Made a few minor changes (including I think fixing the win conditions). None of these made the mission unplayable or unfinishable, so I'll hold off on posting an updated version of the mission for a while and see if there are any other edits necessary.

Again, I really appreciate any feedback!

Changes 4-26-13

1. Changed waypoints for helicopter extraction to

Hold fire instead of Never fire in hopes the chopper will return fire.

2. Deleted Player group waypoints that were left over from testing.

3. Fixed Trigger for Mission End #2 (Win)

so that Any player group member present inside the 875m zone was also necessary (not only

death of 4 caches and death of the heli pad)

I've already learned my first lesson though: when you've playtested it umpteen times and you feel like you couldn't possibly need to playtest it some more . . . play test it some more :)

Edited by Anthropoid

Thanks for the mission Anthropoid! Had a blast playing it on the CiA coop night. Fast action, nice enemy setup and good reinforcement timing.

Looking forward to playing more of your work.

Thanks Variable! Shame that the version we played was the early 'easier' version, but ah well :)

I'm working on one now that is intended to be a fairly simple step into ACE and a foundation for a possible 3+ series of missions with player portraying Takistani geurillas fighting against BLUFOR occupiers. Your Bitter Memories mission and the PMC Versus missions (particularly Umbrae and Coeptus) are the feel I'm hoping to achieve.

I'm working on one now that is intended to be a fairly simple step into ACE and a foundation for a possible 3+ series of missions with player portraying Takistani geurillas fighting against BLUFOR occupiers. Your Bitter Memories mission and the PMC Versus missions (particularly Umbrae and Coeptus) are the feel I'm hoping to achieve.

Glad to hear that! Arma 2 shines when playing the underdog.

Anybody can answer some questions about "Takistani culture" and language and a good source for mission names?

Need to find a good "Transliteration" application that can help me to transliterate English words like (e.g., Revolution, or Uprising, etc.) into "Takistani" language.

Having discovered MCC

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15546

I'm now working on my next mission. This will be (ostensibly) #1 in a multi-mission series. I will write it in the SP editor and get it working as an SP mission using MCC, and then worry about adding the FHQ / coop stuff after it is all assembled.

The overall concept is to create a mission (hopefully a series) that has a similar kind of feel to the PMC Versus missions, except: set in Takistan well after the completion of the Operation Arrowhead storyline, and involving the players as Takistani partisans (Independent side I guess and "Takistani Locals faction) struggling against BLUFOR "occupiers" of Takistan. Idea is to mainly pit Takistan locals against US Army, but maybe in later missions have some OPFOR or other BLUFOR factions.

I think I want the players to be portraying "Independent" side in order to leave open the possibility for missions fighting against both BLUFOR and OPFOR. My idea being that BLUFOR has finished its conquest of Takistan and occupied the country and is now in 'maintenance' and regime-installation mode. However, there could be some OPFOR covert meddling and this could lead to the INDEPENDENT's taking some actions against OPFOR in one or two missions, but having 'proven themselves' perhaps receiving diplomatic overtures of backing by OPFOR who would like to mess up BLUFOR's interests in post-War Takistan. If I do manage to get up some momentum with this, I'd like to extend it out to many missions eventually culminating in BLUFOR withdrawal from Takistan and "liberation" of Takistan by proper Islamic fundamentalist authority! :-*

It will require:

ACE

ACE_X, and

(maybe) MCC.

I would prefer if I could create the mission(s) using MCC, and then somehow change it so that the final .pbo does not actually require MCC to play it. If that is possible that is the way I will do it. But for now, I just want to get going with learning to use MCC, and putting together a mission.

There seem to be a paucity of missions with players as Takistani geurilla types, so hopefully this mission(s) will be a welcome addition to an otherwise empty niche. So that is the concept, now for the questions:

1. The title of the mission? I'm not entirely happy with just calling this first mission "Jihad." The first mission will involve capturing some weapons, freeing a hostage, maybe blowing up some shit, then escaping. Second mission might involve evading pursuit. Third might involve something like scouting out a location to setup a 'hideout.' Fourth, setting up an ambush, Fifth destroy something, etc., etc.

Any suggestions on a naming convention to apply in mission #1 that will fit with these themes, and work well for subsequent missions?

2. A name for the Takistani player side portrayed in the mission?

I have no idea what the native language of Takistan is (nor what branch of Islam is supposed to be prevalent), so I'm a bit of a loss for what this group might call itself. I would prefer them to have more of "Islamic fundamentalist PMC" type feel, though I don't want to call them anything like "PMC Fi sabilillah." I would like a name that references some historical concept or group within middle-eastern history. I'd particularly like to create some reference to the Nizari Ismalis, who are the group from which the term "assassin" seems to have originated

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nizari

I know some of you guys have some expertise in Islamic culture so please advise if you have a good idea.

http://ciahome.net/forum/index.php?topic=2851.0

ADDIT: and another question involves the 'ultimate' fate of the nation of Takistan within 'official' Armaverse canon.

Referencing the Timeline on the wiki

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Armaverse_Timeline

It seems the last 'official' entry that refers to BLUFOR activity in the place is

2012 / 07 / 20

Mountain Lair

A joint raid of US and UK forces against the insurgent's group headquarters succeeds and the region is secured.

Given I want my mission(s) to be Takistani Locals as underdogs fighting against BLUFOR 'occupiers' what timeline should I adopt to keep it within the official storyline?

Also, what loyalties should they have relative to specific groups or characters within official storyline?

Sorry if I'm attributing much more Lore and 'canon' to Armaverse than actually exists; I'm used to intricate backstories of The Elder Scrolls ;)

Edited by Anthropoid

Variable has changed my mind ;)

I'm gonna go with Mujahideen vs. Soviets as the historical framework to inspire the mission(s)

http://ciahome.net/forum/index.php?topic=2851.0

Okay! Your enthusiasm for that theme cinches it!

Late 1970s - 1980s Mujahideen versus Soviets it is!

I wonder if CWR2 will play nice with ACE and ACE_X ?

While I wait to hear from a Farsi speaker to confirm that my name scheme sounds okay

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?154974-Any-Farsi-Speakers-in-the-House

I made up a little 'slam bang' quickie of a mission in ACE. This was my first mission using ACE and I really just wanted to get something put together quickly, but also with some loadouts that could be reused in the Mujahideen mission I'm planning to make.

Draft copy of the mission is linked in this post at Comrades in Arms forums

http://ciahome.net/forum/index.php?topic=2856.0

Once we playtest it in a CiA coop, I'll post it to Armaholic.

@Anthropoid

You can use MCC function with the script version without giving the players the option to open the mission control menu. It's just build that way that every function is broadcast to the server. I'm working on rewriting MCC using BIS native function without CBA and I'm taking the opportunity to write API for each function so people can use them in their missions without using the real time menu. Basically giving the option to build a 2D editor mission using MCC function. The ETA for that it something like a week.

PM me or post in the MCC thread if you need specific APIs.