FFAAMOD

[CLOSED] FFAA V6 (Spanish Army Mod)

1 hour ago, wsxcgy said:

esta mapa es asombrosa

^^ I hope that includes "f*****g"......it's just as important as "breathtaking". :f:

18 hours ago, Evil Organ said:

......what's Spanish for "this map is f*****g breathtaking" :thumbs-up:

My Spanish is rusty but I'd say: "¡Es una puta pasada!"

Although never in front of an old lady. 

• Like 1

A very briefly Post-Lythium Analysis.

Hi community!
How are your missions going through Lythium? We hope you are enjoying the map in the meantime we keep updating and making a better content for you (for free)!!
However let us explain what's behind the magic of making a map like this, with more than 1M objects, 21x21 Km with a development timelime of more than 3 years (yes, you read right, 3 YEARS). All this has been moved forward almost by one person, GreenBeret.

Did you know the map started his development even when there wasn't any tool for Arma 3 yet? Well, in fact the first "playable" alpha was displayed 4 years ago.

Meanwhile, at the FFAA MOD Team, we released our first version 6.0.1 almost 3 years ago (So technically it was our 3th anniversary this monday!)

We are a small team looking forward for big projects and as a proof, we started importing and integrating our first mayor addon of our naval pack, the B.A.M, which is right now without any doubt our biggest and complex addon technically speaking, beside of Lythium.

Why is this related to Lythium? Well, things went harder when BI announced the job application for External 3D Artist for APEX. That was an interesting experience to have, as we learned a lot developing structures, making and understanding the magic behind of multimaterial benefits. In fact this led to redefine and tweak all our current assets for Lythium.

To be honest, things weren't easy as our manpower were (and are) low maintaining a mean of 3 projects (ffaa mod, lythium, Web/CM and at some point the Spanish Arma Community forums/web).

Lythium started his development when the only available and "valuable" addon for structures was JBAD Building, which fitted perfect for this kind of map. So we go ahead with this fantastic addon 2 years ago.

In this way meanwhile FFAA MOD Development team is redoing all our custom structures......
pack2_lythium.jpg

pack1_lythium.jpg

GreenBeret works in the map manually positioning the objects (I remember you there are 1 MILLION approx)...

Things went harder (if you though that was impossible, you are wrong) when our major nightmare appears. The VISUAL UPGRADE for Arma 3, which completely destroyed the visual aspect of Lythium. This task won't be an issue as soon as BI release a better documentation about this new lighting system. Surely there are some weird issues right now in the map, which can't be fixed without a better understading on this so any technical help by anyone is welcomed though our feedback tracker. We give a HUGE thanks to all collaborators involved in the project, Fabio, Lorrio, Bushlurker and all individual users who put its time here, all of your efforts lead to a fantastic map.

At this point, somewhere in the last year, JBAD was integrated into CUP Terrains.. And it's impressive that the most FAQ is like:

JBAD Building requirement is really annoying. We and much other of our friended Community will not use this map.

Guys, we KNOW this, we READ you. But you should know that Lythium started his development even when CUP didn't exist!!

So STOP complaining on this. We will take a meeting on this, for sure, looking for the best approach to players. But understand we are a small team, with a low reaction time to Community projects (even for A3 updates) and thus we simply can't easily switch to CUP requirement.

We will do as many as we can, we finished our Spanish Arma Championship with real awards and some of us will take a break (we think it's worth) reading all of your feedbacks and comments.

Talking about statistics, we break our subscribers record comparing to FFAA MOD, hitting 7000 of users in almost 1 week becoming one of the most popular mod in steam workshop in the past 3 months. This is cool, right?
f0fc25281ef098ee9db88cacac2f7dd2.png

- Yellow / Blue : Number of visitors / subscribers of Lythium.
- Red / Green : Number of visitors / subscribers of FFAAMOD in the same timeline.

There is a mean of 20% more subscribers than FFAA MOD article and a less aggressive curve at the right side which mean more time of the same amount of users have been subscribing to the article until it starts to rapidly decrease. The overall feedback is very positive and some of you are doing some incredible screenshots!! We are recollecting all of this content, maybe we will update our gallery (which it's obsoleted sometimes). Here are some examples:
C-0LDS5WAAAXQl-.jpg

C-2pavmWsAAlWRj.jpg

Photos by Whiplash

We thank you, supporting us is the best gift we can achieve. But remember the best help we can receive is reporting issues into our feedback tracker or if you are a highly experimented modder, you can help us directly joining on our team if you fit well!

Greetings!

• Like 26

Thanks for the dev diary!

One thing I think people are not understanding is, from what I understand in a brief chat with the CUP team, is that CUP Terrains does NOT contain ALL of JBAD and was NEVER meant to be a JBAD replacement.

Thats how I understand it, anyway. So what I'm saying is, I don't think CUP would even contain all the assets Lythium would need to be transferred on a 1:1 ratio.

Again, I could be wrong, but we had this discussion about Diyala, and ALiVE map indexing related talk when they integrated the buildings into the CUP pack.

And even if it did, I can't imagine how long the process swapping it over would take. And the manpower.

Seems like a waste just to save some clans a 1GB download.

Oh and speaking of ALiVE map indexing, you guys can expect compatibility in the next ALiVE release. :) 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Thanks for the dev diary!

One thing I think people are not understanding is, from what I understand in a brief chat with the CUP team, is that CUP Terrains does NOT contain ALL of JBAD and was NEVER meant to be a JBAD replacement.

Thats how I understand it, anyway. So what I'm saying is, I don't think CUP would even contain all the assets Lythium would need to be transferred on a 1:1 ratio.

Again, I could be wrong, but we had this discussion about Diyala, and ALiVE map indexing related talk when they integrated the buildings into the CUP pack.

And even if it did, I can't imagine how long the process swapping it over would take. And the manpower.

Seems like a waste just to save some clans a 1GB download.

Oh and speaking of ALiVE map indexing, you guys can expect compatibility in the next ALiVE release. :) 

If all the necessary buildings are included in CUP swapping them is pretty straightforward and can be done in a day but !only! if all the buildings keep their original memory point (which a handful of buildings in CUP do not as far as I know) so you can expect some work switching it. Expecting weeks of work would be an overestimation though, as far as I can tell at least.

Anyway, great work from the FFAA team, as always :), the map looks really great.

• Like 1

The way the bridges and wadi are placed. I just couldn't resist... :tounge_o: 

• Like 4

Hey everybody, we would like to hear your feedback on the new lighting update so we can get a better impression of how you guys perceive it!

Generaly the aim was to fix the "glowing fog bug" that occured if you turned overcast to anything above 0.3:

DpAiJoH.jpg

but also to try to push the appearance of the map toward a unique and authentic look while keeping it in line with the new APEX lighting etc

8YqSs05.jpg
XuhpIrM.jpg

you can see more screenshots of landscape impression for various weather states in this gallery:

but ultimately we would like your feedback form your own ingame experience,
feel free to share it here!

p.s. you can also leave your feedback here:

http://www.arma3.es/foro/viewtopic.php?f=107&p=18772#p18772

http://feedback.arma3.es/
  • Like 6

Regarding the lighting on Lythium, the first time I fired up the map, it was the lighting that struck me first...a real WOW! moment.

The terrain itself is stunning, the lighting sets it off completely. Never seen such beautiful skies before. 

• Like 4

Few more thoughts that crossed my mind while exploring this magical place.....

My only personal gripe is nothing to do with the map itself but rather the broken clutter models that talented map-makers have to put up with using. It's the only thing in Arma right now that stops outstanding projects like Lythuim, to be truly beautiful.....why can't BI at least acknowledge this and remedy asap. :down:

I made a little mod that rid Altis and Stratis of these broken clutter models.....man, I love to be able to do a version for this map too.   

• Like 4

Thanks for all your messages are very apreciated.

At first view of map release  we have a little problems of production (some floating objects,a little config problem ect ect).But the first impressions of comunity are good feelings.We try solve this problems step by step .Now we improve the new/old ligthing from Fabio chavez that we missed a lot.

On the next updates we try to solve specific problems like IA paths from our houses.

Thanks¡¡¡

• Like 3

Glorious terrain now I've done some exploring, big 'thumbs up' from me!

Pe2FIY8.jpg

• Like 10

qkN1HXP.jpg

@fabio_chavez.....the lighting and those sky textures are blowing my mind ^^

The high cloud in particular is just stunning, I don't think I have seen them on any other map...they look like Cirrus clouds, are they custom made?

I'm sure Stratis used to have skies like this back in Alpha days, but i can't be certain....

• Like 8

This map just looks phenomenal, outstanding work from the whole team!

You guys have earned a well deserved break 

• Like 1

I agree, this map is amazing, me and my friends play on it all the time!

Break well deserved 

• Like 1

Best Middle East map ever. Great job.

One minor issue: the south airbase has an issue with AI aircraft and drones taking off.  they take off fine at the northern airbase.

• Like 1

One other larger issue my group discovered after playing a few ALiVE sessions on the map....some of the new buildings are indestructible.  We had CAS and demo hit several and it didn't cause a dent.  This could be a problem for those who use it for insurgency missions.  Just FYI.  Other than that...map has been a blast to play on.

Would the maker be willing to provide high res emf file for use in mission making?  Or would that endanger your work?  Been trying to extract using the kk blog instructions for a day and a half but no file will appear.

Note that this doesn't work in the 3D editor. When you are in the map selection menu, click 1x on the map you wish to start and press CTRL-O to load the map in 2D!

• Like 1

@FFAAMOD I cannot believe people would complain about the Jbad dependency. It's literally one click of the mouse to subscirbe.

This terrain is absolutely amazing. I compare it to what Tonal was for OFP. Thank you FFAA!

• Like 6

20 hours ago, montgomery said:

@FFAAMOD I cannot believe people would complain about the Jbad dependency. It's literally one click of the mouse to subscirbe.

This terrain is absolutely amazing. I compare it to what Tonal was for OFP. Thank you FFAA!

I agree , I was actualy happy when I saw that you only need JBAD to be honest . I'm a little bit tired of downloading/using CUP enormous mod just to play one map.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psk_whiplash said:

I agree , I was actualy happy when I saw that you only need JBAD to be honest . I'm a little bit tired of downloading/using CUP enormous mod just to play one map.

You should be thankful the mod is modular at all and not just a single @CUP download with everything else in it too. Also most other community maps run on CUPTP too so if you play this game consistently odds are you already have that rather than JBAD.

• Like 9

I'd love to see full CUP support. Would only be logical now that JBAD has been incorporated into CUP. 

• Like 1