Sign in to follow this  
imrevned

New AMD 13.4 and 13.5 (beta) drivers.

I think you're thinking of a frame rate that is 60 for a while, then is 30 for a while.

no, not necessairly.

I'm talking about a constantly inconsistent high frame rate vs. a constantly consistent low one. At any rate, at work we were going for a constant 60 which we found wasn't achievable on low end devices. We found that once we lowered the max frame rate to 30, the user experience was much smoother. Our graphics programmer was telling me that this phenomenon is confirmed in technical papers.

alright then, we are getting somewhere, what papers are those? perhaps by reading them i shall be proven wrong and ill endup fully agreeing with you. but my problem you see, is that since hearsay from someone clearly biased confirming a positive behaviour as being an absolute "truth" of a game that falls mostly under the convenient pattern discussed here, simply isnt enough for me to consider something ive been used to be able to check by myself in dozens of games throughout the years by playing them and testing, to be wrong, maybe that technical paper will, therefore my interest on it. i respect peoples perceptions to what they are most confortable with to be different from one another, and like the fellow there that had 40fps but stuck to 30 and he felt a smoother gameplay for him, i have no reason to not believe him, more power to him. hell like ive said before, millions play console games at 30 fps and believe its great. but that doesnt mean that it is or that i will take that as a rule, sometimes the marjority is simply wrong, if not most times.

I'm getting tired of your flame baiting. Speak to me and other users respectfully or not at all. Consider yourself warned. There will be no further warnings without administrative action.

what was disrespectfull? i stated the opposite and then proceeded to ask how we were going to settle it, well thats how a discussion works afaik. i wouldnt say i did it like a gentleman, also i´m not used to kiss up to anyone, but i was neutral and direct, i see no disrespect or flame. you being in disconfort from having someone question you is natural, that doesnt mean what made you uncomfortable was a flame. sometimes reality, a truthfull statement that you disagree with, or a simple inquiry does that too you know, make you uncomfortable.

what i get from this is that i cant question your statement directly because you consider that to be a flame, either that or you are using anything you can think of as an attempt of a logical reason just to shut me up and feel righteous while at it. i would say then that: "you cant have your cake and eat it". neverthless then i ask, in what world do you live in? are you too used to fanboys only praising your work and being too carefull not to hurt your feelings or asking direct questions? then kissing up whenever they get a chance? there are plenty of those already wouldnt you say? and im being sincere here, is that the proper protocol? afaik you work for BIS, making a statement on the forum, i´m a consumer directly asking for you to go into detail or prove it, making clear that otherwise it means nothing just like the opposite statement i made. you are not just another user, you are implying that your game plays smoothly at 30fps. do you know what i get from that? ammunition to not properly fix the performance issues. yes thats is a huge leap on rationalization but is also a pattern that ive been getting from both the dev´s posts, the official announcements and the interviews mentioning performance, i know what has been posted on the forum, but im afraid it doesnt reflect what is being posted everywhere else. so my point is not to flame, my point comes from a worrysome user trying to get clear cut answers from devs.

but no worries, i now consider myself warned that i will be banned if i keep pointing out wrongfull, contraditory or empty biased statements that the developers say, not a huge surprise here, thats what most big companies do. well some people like challenges i guess noone of you do, probably "too hard and not worth the effort". now where have i heard that before.

Edited by white
grammar

alright then, we are getting somewhere, what papers are those?

I am not a graphics programmer therefore I do not read papers written about graphics programming ;) Our product was put out with these changes on max frame rate based on our internal testing and the information our graphics programmer studied on the subject, that's all I can tell you.

what was disrespectfull?

I replied directly to the passage I found disrespectful. If you have any further questions or comments on this moderation, you may make it to me in PM. If you want me to reply to you, keep it friendly :)

edit: I also think perhaps you are confusing me with an employee of Bohemia Interactive. I'm a volunteer here and I work for a different (completely unrelated) game studio. I'm not employed by Bohemia, I am not a representative (customer service or otherwise), and I have no insider information about their game development.

Edited by Max Power

I think that a lot of people will agree that stable 60 is better in every way than stable 30. But the point really is about it being stable to begin with. I didn't realised that before reading this topic and it makes sens. I have about 40 fps overall but it is not stable at all. So I will limit my frame rate to 30 fps insteed to get a better overall game experience.

Anyway, good for you fellow amd users about the drivers.

EDIT: I just tried it and I find the experience to be way smoother then a jumping 40 fps average.

Also, to clear maybe some confusion, I am not talking about "average 30 fps", but driver locked steady 30 fps. Average 30 thats goes up and down feels horrible to me too.

How do you do that?

Could you lock it at any other value, let's say at 25 FPS?

Mainbord: MSI Z77A-G45

CPU: I5-3570k IVY

PSU: Seasonic G-450

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD-7950 Boost 3GB

MEM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP (1600-9-9-9)

CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 3 PCGH-Edition

HDD1: Samsung 840 SSD 256GB

No noticable framerate increase wit hthe 13.5 beta drivers and the ARMA DEV-branch.

Unfortunately lag-spikes as low as 0 or 1 fps also still occur frequently :(

How do you do that?

Well, with a recording software called Dxtory, you can limit the frame rate (to any number) while recording, then check the option "Synchronize Video FPS" to have the game run at the limited FPS while playing, though you need to also be recording for all this to work.

How do you do that?

If you are using an NVIDIA card, you can simply download the "nvidia inspector" program. It will let you change your driver setting for any game you want. You can set it between 29 (or 20?) and 120 FPS. It usualy go up in increment of 4 to 5 fps.

Thanks for the answers guys. Yeah after googling I've found that it's possible with nVidia Inspector, I'll try that.

13.5 drivers from leshcat are out, im gonna check em out later today

7850 no improvement in FPS in cpu-heavy heli showcase, as expected.