Alwarren

FHQ Accessories pack

YAY! Waiting anxiously! (with that MARS sight I´m going to use a lot more the TRG... and the IDF uniform and helmets lol)

Hey AlWarren, I have a request about the ACOG:

Can you switch the reticle from the black bars to the red chevron reticle?:

http://warriortalknews.typepad.com/.a/6a0133ec985af6970b019104197ae7970c-pi

Additionally, is there any chance of you raising the optic slightly to allow it to clear the front sights of M4s and M16s? It currently directly intersects with the front sights. There are lots of different brands of rail raisers that could be modeled that would be perfect for this:

http://image.dhgate.com/albu_247362472_00-1.0x0/new-tactical-quick-release-riser-20mm-picatinny.jpg

Love your mod and your work.

Hey AlWarren, I have a request about the ACOG:

Can you switch the reticle from the black bars to the red chevron reticle?:

http://warriortalknews.typepad.com/.a/6a0133ec985af6970b019104197ae7970c-pi

This is how the current ACOG looks like http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=213179779

I actually have an almost complete update for the Accessories pack with four new attachments standing by, got sidetracked with the RTM support for Blender. Expect an update soon, including two new Barsky red dots, MARS, and Trijicon VCOG.

Additionally, is there any chance of you raising the optic slightly to allow it to clear the front sights of M4s and M16s? It currently directly intersects with the front sights. There are lots of different brands of rail raisers that could be modeled that would be perfect for this:

http://image.dhgate.com/albu_247362472_00-1.0x0/new-tactical-quick-release-riser-20mm-picatinny.jpg

I'll think about it. I might do two versions of the ACOG,, one with and one without the riser...

Love your mod and your work.

New version released. First post updated.

Version 1.4 contains four new scopes, and the updated ACOG reticle.

Enjoy :)

Sweet!

Any chance in the future of a Trijicon SRS?

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

PS:

Is ASDG Joint Rails still required? You made it required with 1.3 but I can not see any such requirement anywhere anymore (readme/website/release post).

Ok, thanks :)

Edited by Guest

Sweet!

Any chance in the future of a Trijicon SRS?

Might get in a fit and try it ;)

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

Thanks Foxhound :)

Is ASDG Joint Rails still required? You made it required with 1.3 but I can not see any such requirement anywhere anymore (readme/website/release post).

Yes, it is still required. I guess I should mention that more explicitly in the readme. Thanks for the pointer

Cool to hear Alwarren... :)

Nice work. One question, though. Is it normal that I can use the magnified optics with NVG's? I ask this because I remember that your old ACOG would disable them when aiming and now both your ACOG and VCOG work with them.

Great updateï¼I like the new VCOG.

And one question,what should I do to make these optics can add to weapons of other mods?I can now only use them on the RH weapons and Nato Russia weapon pack,what should I do to make them can add to other mods?

Great job, man! I love these new cqb sights. Thanks for sharing your work.

And one question,what should I do to make these optics can add to weapons of other mods?I can now only use them on the RH weapons and Nato Russia weapon pack,what should I do to make them can add to other mods?

You would need either to find already existing ASDG Joint Rails config for that weapon pack or make a new one.

@Alwarren - Great job on the pack, loving it :)

Thanks for the encouragement, guys :)

Nice work. One question, though. Is it normal that I can use the magnified optics with NVG's? I ask this because I remember that your old ACOG would disable them when aiming and now both your ACOG and VCOG work with them.

You shouldn't be able to use NVG's with the ACOG. if you can it's a bug, I need to correct that

As Max255[PL] said, FHQ Accessories are using ASDG joint rails, so you need a config for your favorite weapon pack.

New version released. First post updated.

Version 1.4 contains four new scopes, and the updated ACOG reticle.

Enjoy :)

squee

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

You shouldn't be able to use NVG's with the ACOG. if you can it's a bug, I need to correct that

Well... realistically speaking, there is more than one way you can. The most obvious is by mounting a pvs-14 on your weapon. And as the optics guy in A3, you well know that you'd have to double up every single optic in the game to do this. One model with the PVS-14 and one without.

The other way is to "ghetto rig" your NVG to line up with your sights. This was really easy on the M-16A2 with the rail and the optic mounted forward of the rail. It's more difficult and cumbersome with a flat top rifle, but still attainable.

I think a reasonable compromise would be to just leave them usable with NVGs... Unless you're gonna make an NVG version of all your optics :D

I think a reasonable compromise would be to just leave them usable with NVGs... Unless you're gonna make an NVG version of all your optics :D

+1.

One thing that has always bothered me in A2 is that you cant use NVG's with it, I mean you could always line up the goggles with the optics/ironsights...

+1.

One thing that has always bothered me in A2 is that you cant use NVG's with it, I mean you could always line up the goggles with the optics/ironsights...

Iron sights yes , but optics you cant unless you have proper NV device attached to it - because with regular NVG you cant get the proper image - http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=10188

New ACOG(Massi's M4 using ASDG Joint Rails):

ahCDMQC.jpg

t70A0Zu.jpg

mK8vySr.jpg

NgtxRxj.jpg

zKgjkaX.jpg

fGr30LQ.jpg

bLvbNoK.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

Iron sights yes , but optics you cant unless you have proper NV device attached to it - because with regular NVG you cant get the proper image - http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=10188

Incorrect. I have done it in real life with Irons, Aimpoints, and ACOGs. It's a hassle, but can be done. And that was with PVS-7s. I can only imagine how much easier it would be with PVS-14s. Even your picture shows that with a little manipulation you could rest your hand under your NVGs and line up the NVGs with the scope.

Additionally, you're ignoring the fact that there are no PVS-14s or equivalent to mount on our rifles. So if NV is removed from the 3d scopes, then there will be zero option for NV with ranged optics outside of the one single NV optic.

New ACOG(Massi's M4 using ASDG Joint Rails):

Nice pictures :)

Incorrect. I have done it in real life with Irons, Aimpoints, and ACOGs. It's a hassle, but can be done. And that was with PVS-7s. I can only imagine how much easier it would be with PVS-14s. Even your picture shows that with a little manipulation you could rest your hand under your NVGs and line up the NVGs with the scope.

Additionally, you're ignoring the fact that there are no PVS-14s or equivalent to mount on our rifles. So if NV is removed from the 3d scopes, then there will be zero option for NV with ranged optics outside of the one single NV optic.

Having seen DayZ's attachment system, I seriously wish we had that kind of options in Arma 3. Most notably, I really miss the possibility to "combine" optics. For example, the G33 magnifier requires an extra attachment, although it could easily mount behind the normal EoTech. Same with snap-on NV attachments. Since I want a night vision version as well, I need to make another Leupold with an attached NV sight, and need to repeat that process for every scope I want to have NV.

For the Remington Pack for example I am planning a "camo net" attachment for the M2010 that adds a ghillie net over the rifle.

The whole of the attachment system could have been so much expanded, also towards the lower rail (GL's, different foregrips, etc). It's really too bad it is so rigid, and I certainly hope that BIS will improve and expand it in future DLC's or expansions. It could have been really great.

Obviously irons and red dot/holo works

but i meant for optics with zoom for a example - acog

You cannot put a PVS-14 on the back of an ACOG because the ACOG's tritium is too bright and will bloom the NVD and obscure your target. See below with an NSN ACOG who's tritium is actually dimmer than most other ACOGS.

PICT0713.jpg

Have you ever seen the optics in BWmods?Today they have their first public release.

In their mod,you can make a NV optics quickly attach or unattach on a ordinary optics by press Lcrlt+N.With this function you can make a ordinary optics to become a NV optics.

This is the URL of their mod,http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?171183-BWMod

Maybe it can give you some ideasï¼:)

Have you ever seen the optics in BWmods?Today they have their first public release.

In their mod,you can make a NV optics quickly attach or unattach on a ordinary optics by press Lcrlt+N.With this function you can make a ordinary optics to become a NV optics.

This is the URL of their mod,http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?171183-BWMod

Script trickery. It's been proven that this works, and it has worked since OFP. The trouble is that the attachment system is underdeveloped in the native game: possibly, because each attachment combination has to be affecting the AI? I'm not sure.

The current optics are superb, though, the only thing I've to note is the crosshairs of the small barska holo sight are affected by shadow. (When under shadow, the light part disappears and they turn dull, transparent red instead of organge.) Possibly an issue with the materials? I've not tested them at night yet, but the revamped ACOG is fun to use, and the new scopes are really nice.

What makes me ponder though if there is some way to make the VCOG optic not suffer from the severe tunnel vision effect it suffers from currently (due to the game being incapable of simulating actual optics.). So people can compare, this is how the view through a VCOG/Shortdot type scope looks in real life: http://imageshack.us/a/img84/2769/pict0041f.jpg

Both this optic and the shortdot in RH's pack suffer from the lack of this. So, I am wondering if by some creative working around with the internal geometry, it is possible to create the illusion of the scope being an actual optic. I've something in mind, but I have to draw it out on paper first to see if it works. Basically, create an internal geometry that is invisible from the outside (like the internal, non-textured parts of the geometry are invisible on regular objects?) while the external geometry when viewing through the scope also turns invisible. Adjust the diameter of the forward internal part of the scope to match the diameter of the optical trains exit image of the real scope.

The only thing I cannot imagine how to fix is that the far side of the "expanded internals" would become visible when scoped out, due to that visible internal surface facing the player during that time.

BI resolved this problem (more or less adequately?) with their DMR scope by making that 2D in zoomed in view again. I am not sure if that's the only solution, or if I am building castles in the clouds here.

Again, many thanks for these scopes, enjoying them lots.

No need to, I know how that's done. It was even possible in Arma 2, when you had enough variety of the same weapon. It's not the point. You can do scripts that exchange one optic for another, but that is, as InstaGoat correctly puts it, trickery. It is a workaround for a shortcoming of the attachment system, a shortcoming that I would have liked to be solved without trickery.

The same goes for e.g. the G33 magnifier. Of course I could add a script handler that exchanges the attachment when you switch the magnifier on or off, but I shouldn't have to resort to such things.

The current optics are superb, though, the only thing I've to note is the crosshairs of the small barska holo sight are affected by shadow. (When under shadow, the light part disappears and they turn dull, transparent red instead of organge.) Possibly an issue with the materials? I've not tested them at night yet, but the revamped ACOG is fun to use, and the new scopes are really nice.

I probably forgot to turn off shadows on the crosshairs. I need to extend my Blender toolbox to handle all that stuff, right now, the colimators are the only thing I need to do in O2.

What makes me ponder though if there is some way to make the VCOG optic not suffer from the severe tunnel vision effect it suffers from currently (due to the game being incapable of simulating actual optics.). So people can compare, this is how the view through a VCOG/Shortdot type scope looks in real life: http://imageshack.us/a/img84/2769/pict0041f.jpg

I tried. There was a discussion with Vespa about this as well. BIS optics are tapered in such a way that you do not notice the tunnel effect, but this has limits. The VCOG and the shortdot both have a very slender tube, and there is not much you can do to taper it in such a way that it doesn't become obvious in the first person view.

I tried putting the same magic to work as with the colimator tunnel hiding the sight itself, but that only works on transparent faces. So I tried to turn the affected faces slightly transparent (i.e alpha was 254 not 255) but that transparency is immediately visible. Bottom line, I have no idea how to fix it. If I hadn't done the VCOG already, I wouldn't have included it in the pack for this reason.

Both this optic and the shortdot in RH's pack suffer from the lack of this. So, I am wondering if by some creative working around with the internal geometry, it is possible to create the illusion of the scope being an actual optic. I've something in mind, but I have to draw it out on paper first to see if it works. Basically, create an internal geometry that is invisible from the outside (like the internal, non-textured parts of the geometry are invisible on regular objects?) while the external geometry when viewing through the scope also turns invisible. Adjust the diameter of the forward internal part of the scope to match the diameter of the optical trains exit image of the real scope.

Backface culling usually removes a lot of the exterior geometry when you look through the optics, and for the ACOG this is enough to deal with the problem. But for other scopes, you have faces visible that do not get culled away. Things would work fine if there was a way to make a face block everything behind it, But the usual face sorting results into this, so it wasn't an option either.

BI resolved this problem (more or less adequately?) with their DMR scope by making that 2D in zoomed in view again. I am not sure if that's the only solution, or if I am building castles in the clouds here.

I think that might be the only solution for a scope, sadly. There are other reasons for the 2D scope, like the ability to use different crosshairs/reticles for different zoom levels. Obviously, that doesn't work for the unmagnified version of the VCOG, and in general I find this inconsistency in scope workings a bit, well, inconsistent.

The ideal solution would be the ability to animate proxies, like is obviously possible in DayZ now. With animated proxies and the right combination of animation sources for model.cfg, it would be possible to solve all these issues:

• an "opticsMode" source would allow to animate the G33 magnifier to be swiveled up or down according to your mode.
  • a "downSights" source would allow to selectively hide parts of the model when the player looks down the optics/sight
  • an "opticsZoomLevel" source would allow to selectively hide/animate parts of the reticle that need to be exchanged based on zoom level
  • finally throw in a radial blur around the reticle like Project Reality for Bf2 to blur out the outside of the scope

If a developer is reading this: Make it so! ;)

(come to think of it, I'll add the above to my ticket on the issue tracker, it may be worth considering)

Again, many thanks for these scopes, enjoying them lots.

Thank you :)

If a developer is reading this: Make it so! ;)

(come to think of it, I'll add the above to my ticket on the issue tracker, it may be worth considering)

Where is your ticket? I didn't see it in the first post. I'd like to up vote this one myself, if I haven't already. :)

Beautiful additons Alwarren, as always!