Alwarren

FHQ Accessories pack

Any chance of modeling an actual Elcan Specter DR? I know the game has the ARCO but its so bland compare to a sprecter. Pic for reference: http://s684.photobucket.com/user/JSK_2009/media/ElcanB.jpg.html

Meh, right now, I am a bit fed up with the whole Arma 3 situation right now; if I get in the mood again, I might consider.

Meh, right now, I am a bit fed up with the whole Arma 3 situation right now; if I get in the mood again, I might consider.

If/when you ever get around to doing an update, I just want to throw in my opinion of things that could use a change.

1. The EOtech looks a little too large, and by little I mean very slightly out of proportion.

2. The EOtech sights need to be mounted just a few notches back on the rifle

3. The acog situation

4. Elcan spectreDR

And that's all that I can think of. Thanks Al, really. Thank you for this addon :)

I'd personally would love the HKV from the G36 usable on various weapons :) As a German I guess you know how it looks, too. I also love your ACOG, even though the 100m problem, I use it all the time.

Hey Al. I know you're bummed out an' all about the whole ArmA 3 thing, but I'm thinking of something for the 'other' ACOG. Not really put much thought to it, since the ideas are coming as I type.

How about a small amount of transparent orange around the edges of the reticule? I don't really know what da12thmonkey told you, and maybe it worked, but the idea just came to me.

You know, if you ever feel like it.

I suppose I am going to wait and see what is in Arma 3 Final in terms of attachments, so far, there isn't much word on it.

In the meantime, I am working on this:

T1954Eys.jpg

(click for larger)

This is the highres variant (~2 million polies), I've remodelled the XM2010 because I wasn't happy with the old one.

Woah... that is amazing. What stage is that in? And I know they are adding more optics, specifically the Night Vision Optic, and we will most likely see Infrared Optics as well. But I can probably guess the community wants to also see more optics that resemble the "ACOG" Models.

Woah... that is amazing. What stage is that in?

Pretty advanced. I have a highres model as well as a lowres one (13k polies), I'm in the process of unwrapping it (which is always the most boring part). Once that is done, I need to bake normals and AO, paint textures, add the LOD's and other stuff... Still going to take a few weeks (I suppose Arma 3 final will be first), but it's getting there :)

But the old one was too low-res, even for Arma 2, putting it in Arma 3 was a no-go, so I went for more polies this time.

Will this be on it's own in a mod? And It seems like you are pretty far in. I am very excited for this, and I am sure you will do a great job on it!

Will this be on it's own in a mod? And It seems like you are pretty far in. I am very excited for this, and I am sure you will do a great job on it!

Not sure yet, might come with some ACR XD

Oh you just keep adding more to the pile haha, hopefully when it's finished you'll let us have our hands on it! Nice work.

I suppose I am going to wait and see what is in Arma 3 Final in terms of attachments, so far, there isn't much word on it.

In the meantime, I am working on this:

PIC

(click for larger)

This is the highres variant (~2 million polies), I've remodelled the XM2010 because I wasn't happy with the old one.

Blimey, that thing looks great.

I´m sad that nobody has addressed the issue with the configs yet. That was known from basically day 2 of the alpha. Attachments are already a mess for me, and I only have your mod, and one other that adds scopes. Suddenly, half the things don't work anymore. Kind of disappointing, really...

There are many important things, but these weapon attachment problems will be the bane of community made weapons and addons, unless there either is a JAM type initiative where everybody submits their scopes and lasers, or the system gets fixed. Latter seems highly unlikely right now. Drat.

About that, I will probably present the most idiotic idea ever, but what about makink a sort of "fake rail", an invisible attachment that accepts other attachments on top of it?

I'll try to explain myself, bear with me...

Right now:

- Modder A creates a new attachmentA and updates gunX

- Modder B creates a new attachmentB and updates gunX

If you download ModA first and ModB later, you will end up with gunX+attachmentB and not also gunX+attachmentA, and that's not good...

Instead, we create a new tipe of invisible attachment called railX, and we put this and only this attachment on gunX... A copy of this railX file is kept uploaded somewhere, and when a modder creates a new attachment, he will update this file, reupload the new version and include its updated version in his Mod:

- Modder A creates a new attachmentA and updates railX (now railX accepts attachmentA)

- Modder B creates a new attachmentB and updates railX (now railX accepts attachmentA and attachmentB)

So now, if we want to add these attachment to another gunY, we just add railX to gunY! If we want to add another attachmentC to gunX and gunY we just add attachmentC only to the single railX (hence we update and deliver railX file only, and not all the involved guns files)!

I hope you can see what I mean there...

Now, there is probably a hole big enough for an M1A1 to crawl through in that method, but let's pretend there isn't: the main issues are two: can such an "attachment that accepts attachment" exist in the engine? Can attachments that are not present in the game (I download ModA and ModC but not ModB) be listed without errors (will I get an error because attachmentB is not there but is listed in the railX)?

Now please destroy my idea one piece at a time, and make me feel bad for it too! :D

Yay!

Edited by Gliptal

i think the problem is that to make a gun accept an attachment you have to add it to an array (list) inside the gun's config. so what would be needed is some kind of a community addon that overwrites all gun configs (including addon guns) and adds a universial list to all of them that includes all available attachments (including addon attachments). that universial addon then would have to be updated everytime a new gun/attachment addon is released.

OR....BI could just change the attachment system to something modular.

i'm still not sure if i fully understood the system but that's how i understood it so far.

i think the problem is that to make a gun accept an attachment you have to add it to an array (list) inside the gun's config. so what would be needed is some kind of a community addon that overwrites all gun configs (including addon guns) and adds a universial list to all of them that includes all available attachments (including addon attachments). that universial addon then would have to be updated everytime a new gun/attachment addon is released.

OR....BI could just change the attachment system to something modular.

i'm still not sure if i fully understood the system but that's how i understood it so far.

That is basically the problem. Attachments for a weapon are defined in its config, which means that without hacking them, vanilla guns cannot take community addons. Likewise, community infantry weapon addons will not take any other community made item that is not defined in their config. We only have a handful of weapon mods right now, but like I said, those handful are already screwing with each other.

The devs looked at it, and since we didn't hear back from them, I suppose we're stuck with this system for good now. Which is a pity, because it'll make adding realistic and up-to-date kit for the guns, depending on the era and type of mounting system a bitch, with no cross compatibility between addons.

I suppose we're stuck with this system for good now.

That.

This is what really bothers me, changing the attachment system post-release is not going to fly unless there are two systems in place for backwards compatibility. It's not like this issue hasn't been known since pretty much the beginning of alpha, the time where it could have been addressed is over, and we'll be stuck with it for the rest of Arma 3's life cycle.

This is going to cause a lot of compatibility issues. Really dad.

---------- Post added at 09:15 ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 ----------

Now please destroy my idea one piece at a time, and make me feel bad for it too! :D

Not going to :)

If you look at it, there is only one thing that the rail system is used for. It decides whether you can put an attachment on a weapon or not. IMO, it should have been something llike a class CfgRails that just lists rails and their proxies, and allows for multiple rails to link to the same proxy. Then, a weapon would just say what type of rails it has where, as a string, just like a magazine refers to ammo as a string.

Anything would have been better than explicitly naming all attachments; that problem existed already in Arma 2 in the form of magazines, and I would have thought that would be something to learn from :(

Hey man could you make the L3/EoTech G33 magnifier and Holographic Weapon Sight Night vision capable? it would be really nice, or just make all of them that, and if possible why is the L3/EoTech G33 magnifier and Holographic Weapon Sight not a 3d scope?

yeah i feel like it should deff be possible, i like that scope alot and having i 3d would just be super.

yeah i feel like it should deff be possible, i like that scope alot and having i 3d would just be super.

Agreed, but there is an issue. The G33, when not used, needs to fold sideways. There is no way to animate this with the current animation sources. The only thing that would be possible is a G33 that is fixed and cannot be folded away, or just have two different magnifications for it. Both options don't sound appealing.

I had made a bug report in the tracker asking for an animation source that would change with the backup sight, but to the best of my knowledge, like the call for a change in the attachment system, it has been ignored. Maybe they'll add it after release.

You can't animate proxy objects anyway; so using model.cfg animation sources, the magnifier would have to be physically part of the weapon model in order to be animated. In which case you'd face the difficulty of implementing a feature where the magnifier selection of the weapon only showed up when certain attachments were fitted.

The only alternative for BIS would be to implement a system like they have for the NVG proxy, where you can have two separate models assigned to the attachment item (one folded down, the other folded up) and the game loads an entire separate proxy model in the relevant position depending on the on/off of the optics modes.

I suppose it might actually be possible to script something like that where the game can be made to swap between two different attachment classes fitted to the weapon (with different models to correspond to the two attachment classes) when the opticsmode key is pressed - same thing would be needed to switch between laser and light modes on the LLM.

Hello. I'm not sure if you are aware, but your extended config is conflicting with the scopes BIS introduced in yesterday's dev build patch, making it impossible to mount them on any of the weapons. Keep up the good work! :)

Hello. I'm not sure if you are aware, but your extended config is conflicting with the scopes BIS introduced in yesterday's dev build patch, making it impossible to mount them on any of the weapons. Keep up the good work! :)
Confirmed.

Yay!

It's a long standing problem in the way configs for accessories are handled. Not that it will likely change at all, but vote on the linked ticket if you want to see it fixed.

I voted it up, it's sad to see such an important issue isn't even assigned.