Sign in to follow this  
MattWales

Air Burst/Delayed Fuse Munitions

Evening all,

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on whether having delayed fuse or air burst type munitions would bring much to the game?

I only ask because I know that a GBU/JDAM set to detonate at 500ft has a very different effect to one that detonates at ground level, which is different again to one that has a 300ms delay.

Air burst cause lots of frag in a cone shaped pattern, originating from the detonation down in the direction that the munition was travelling, with the explosion obviously causing an element of lateral frag, creating what is in effect a "cone". This can, and has been used to great effect in the SE Asia AO, when danger close fires were required (some, I shit you not, as close as 40m with 500lb warheads) where the so called 'bug splat' technique of air bursting an incoming GBU/JDAM which is being delivered at a specific angle by the air asset can have dramatic effect on target.

Consider a group of infantry in the open - you are probably best of hitting them with an air burst, as the frag coverage is greater, causing a greater effect on the target.

That said, frag won't do much against a reinforced structure - you'd probably want a delayed fuse, so the warhead hits, buries itself 50ft under the structure, then detonates, causing an upheaval by sheer explosive force, whilst keeping frag down - particularly handy if you want to take out that one building but leave the rest of the street intact.

Then, lets say you want to hit a column of AFVs - well, air burst frag probably won't harm them, delayed fuses won't do much except maybe flip the one vehicle you aimed at, so you're best off hitting them with ground-burst HE, which will still provide a good mix of frag AND explosive force.

I also ask because it adds more depth of realism, where a FAC/JTACs decision on what type of fuse to employ could cause the exact effect he wants, or result in something else entirely, potentially dramatically changing the course of an engagement.

Food for thought, or at least, discussion!

Matt

Hey very cool idea!

I'm waiting for the comeback of COC UA (chainofcommand/unified artillery) there were some features with that stuff. Real ballistics, different ammo/fuze types, high and low angle trajectory, simple ammo management, shoot&scoot with whole artillery batteries, realistic time from fire order to impact, no shells in target within 10 seconds as we have it now... the mod was never finished but i played a lot with COC UA for OFP... website is still available.

Never give up! But i'm afraid it won't happen...maybe some new mod. I mean for the crowd's gameplay its not very important to have all the options but for us!

We had these type of munitions with mods such as ACE2 and the

. Since the Paladin has been showcased in some of the A3 videos of late, I'm guesing we'll see these type of rounds in use, unless it's a half baked idea, then the modders will come to the rescue.

Wasn't that some other Paladin-esque thing? Regardless, if I'm not mistaken, Nou is already doing a few things in terms of porting the Paladin.