I think your right. The Collision Lights on aircraft for example, those actually had light at one point, and it looked beautiful. Now everything seems... Dull, and no real light is being produce from some things.

Yeah at night pitch black , flashlight in your face . You should be blinded and unable to see beyond the light source. Then bound and gagged. But see the bright light from the van you are being bundled into.

BIS, bing this back will ya?

arma3.jpg

These lights look so good, and with all the updated features and additions to the upcoming Helicopters, these lights are far more immersive than the dull circles we have now.

Weapon mounted flashlight is to much attenuated. Lower the attenuation to give it some better range, and give it a hotspot in the middle and slightly lower intensity around the hotspot. Also I think the colour is too warm. It's more like a Xenon weapon light from the early 2000's. These days, LED's are used instead and in most cases, cold colour temperature (6000-6500K) are used, since those LED's are more efficient, and give as much light as possible without draining the battery too fast. I can safely say incandesent flashlight's will not be used as weapon mounted tactical lights in 2035, as BIS seem to think.

Weapon mounted flashlight is to much attenuated. Lower the attenuation to give it some better range, and give it a hotspot in the middle and slightly lower intensity around the hotspot. Also I think the colour is too warm. It's more like a Xenon weapon light from the early 2000's. These days, LED's are used instead and in most cases, cold colour temperature (6000-6500K) are used, since those LED's are more efficient, and give as much light as possible without draining the battery too fast. I can safely say incandesent flashlight's will not be used as weapon mounted tactical lights in 2035, as BIS seem to think.

The thing is that BI has scaled back the effectiveness of flshlights due to light still passing through walls wich is really not a good approach to the problem. At least that is my theory.

Oh, I see. I totally forgot about that problem.

BIS, bing this back will ya?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/12/may/arma3.jpg

These lights look so good, and with all the updated features and additions to the upcoming Helicopters, these lights are far more immersive than the dull circles we have now.

Yes this is also probably due to the lights going through walls problem. So again the work around is to degrade the feature.

Honestly if you look to buy arma 3 on steam. Go check it out. A lot of it is misleading. The pictures showing the lighting as it used to be not how it is in-game.

The lights in arma now look nothing like the picture above. Yes the lighting was going through Walls.

. After heli dlc they will have more months of bugs from that, then created bugs from Patches. They really need to stop take a good look at the product quality as they sold it. And take note of the copy pasted and downgraded content.

Yes this is also probably due to the lights going through walls problem. So again the work around is to degrade the feature.

Honestly if you look to buy arma 3 on steam. Go check it out. A lot of it is misleading. The pictures showing the lighting as it used to be not how it is in-game.

The lights in arma now look nothing like the picture above. Yes the lighting was going through Walls.

. After heli dlc they will have more months of bugs from that, then created bugs from Patches. They really need to stop take a good look at the product quality as they sold it. And take note of the copy pasted and downgraded content.

Lightning on the picture is same as you have now. Only thing that was removed was the flare?(is it correct word?) because they could only use one "shape" of flare for all lighting sources (except for sun). The only thing they could change was their size.

Doesn't make sense to me, light going through the walls have been there since Arma 2, and possible even before that. So why get rid of a nice light effect only seen on the light source, when the light goes through everything as usual anyway? You couldn't see the light source through things, but you could see the light it made, as you still can today. Makes no sense some things they do. But, eventually, they need to STOP doing work around's and downgrades, and actually approach the problem. Until then, however, I'd like that original light thing back, that makes it look like a light, and not a dull circle, there was literally no issue with it. Eventually, maybe they'll fix the light going through things.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

1. please make class lighting new defineable in relation to the density of fog!

e.g. like this:

class LightingNew
{
class Lighting0
{
height = 0;
overcast = 0.4;
fogdensity = 0.01
sunAngle = -14;
sunOrMoon = 0;

2. please make skyColorInfluencesFogColor and fogLuminance defineable per lighting class!!!

class LightingNew
{
class Lighting0
{
height = 0;
overcast = 0.4;
fogdensity = 0.01
sunAngle = -14;
sunOrMoon = 0;
skyColorInfluencesFogColor = 0;
fogLuminance = 0;

Please let us change the color of fog so everything isn't a gamey blue haze all the time.

Please let us change the color of fog so everything isn't a gamey blue haze all the time.

you can actually change the color of fog in the config of the terrain... anyhow, the visual outcome of the fog ingame also heavily depends on the actual setfog parameter values used, its admittedly too easy to screw up the fog for unpracticed users, so, some presets, accessible through the UI, would be a help i guess.

Mortar Flares, and 40mm Flare rounds are still so dull, it's utterly impractical to have in game at this point. Needed it earlier to mark enemy movements at dead of the night, but it didn't even provide a light source.

Agree to that point! Magnesium lights are clearly visible on day, too! And freaking fu*king bright in the dark!

Normaly the Mortar and 40mm Flares are visible for ~90-120 Seconds.

Agree to that point! Magnesium lights are clearly visible on day, too! And freaking fu*king bright in the dark!

Normaly the Mortar and 40mm Flares are visible for ~90-120 Seconds.

I know ey, they shouldn't be afraid to make it a darn second sun. Lol, but seriously, a burning helicopter is brighter. They should up the light source more than 10 fold.

I know ey, they shouldn't be afraid to make it a darn second sun. Lol, but seriously, a burning helicopter is brighter. They should up the light source more than 10 fold.

Absolutely agree'd!

I wish too they would reduce the sun early in the morning and at dusk its overkill

I'd like to know the specific color values of the VR Arsenal. Is there a way to display them? I tried to recreate a more realistic color palette but it's rather tedious and the imo better looking colors are right there...

Absolutely agree'd!

I wish too they would reduce the sun early in the morning and at dusk its overkill

Well, i dunno about the whole morning/dusk thing. When the sun rises and sets where i live, it's super bright golden. Try toning down your radial blur effects.

googlava after a year or so (didnt have  a pc most of the time meanwhile),
i picked up some old lighting configs i was working on and that i tried to finish but there where some inconsitencys i couldnt seem to get rid of.

this is the problem, in the end of the video you see the sun disappear behind thick clouds, though the hard drop shadows remain.

Now i tried all kinds of settings with these parameters (and many more)

e.g.: (example which parameters i use, values are NOT actually representative of what i was working with)

class Overcast: Overcast
{
class Weather: Weather
{
overcast = 1;
diffuse = 0.6;
cloudDiffuse =  0.7;
lightingOvercast = 1;
};

and

class Lighting72
{
height = 0;
overcast = 0.4;
sunAngle = 12;
sunOrMoon = 1;
diffuse[] = {{1.1,0.7252,0.485},11.9719};
diffuseCloud[] = {{0.822,0.75,0.646},0.4719};
ambient[] = {{0.383,0.58,0.858},9.60039};
ambientCloud[] = {{0.383,0.58,0.858},8.80039};
ambientMid[] = {{0.522,0.56134,0.796},6.77875};
ambientMidCloud[] = {{0.4698,0.505206,0.7164},6.10087};
groundReflection[] = {{0.3,0.3,0.3},0.567088};
groundReflectionCloud[] = {{0.3,0.3,0.3},0.567088};
bidirect[] = {0.08,0.08,0.07};
bidirectCloud[] = {0.03,0.03,0.03};

but i cant seem to get the balance between sunhalo and and dropshadow intensity with the general lighting balance right!

i wished i could simply overwrite the dropshadow visibility in

class Overcast: Overcast{
class Weather: Weather

or something like that...

its frustrating, im not a professional game developper or anything but id really really like to finish this!

please googlava get back to me on this one, even if you just say that what i try to do is impossible, then i can just drop it for good but id rather finish this and implement it in CUP Terrains! :///

• Like 2

Even if you can't get rid of the shadows, lovely work as always Fabio.

this is the problem, in the end of the video you see the sun disappear behind thick clouds, though the hard drop shadows remain.

Have you tried to change the ingame shadow distance settings dynamically? It's kind a hack, but better than nothing.