Sign in to follow this  
StealthGunner385

Steam version won't start under Windows 8

Greetings to all. First time poster, have tried to use the search function but didn't get any relevant results. My apologies if it's actually been done.

On a clean Windows 8 installation (new machine), after installing Steam and downloading Carrier Command, the game won't start. Clicking the "Play" button apparently does nothing, though if I try to click it twice in a row, Steam claims "Game is already running". The game cannot be run from the .exe itself, and I can see an active process start and stop when I run the game.

I tried to manually reinstall the Visual C++ and DirectX redistributables, but that didn't help a bit. Neither did trying with compatibility mode for W7. The game hasn't produced an error log of any kind in any location (game dir or c:\Users\<username>\My Documents, or C:\Users\<Username>\AppData subfolders)

Can anyone please help?

Edited by StealthGunner385

I have the exact same issue with this game in a Windows 7 environment. I submitted the problem BI and they after many failed attempts pointed me here. All other Steam games work correctly.

Edited by Traveler
additional info

I should clarify, the game worked normally for me on my old machine (with W7x64), however, that laptop had issues with damaged VRAM from inadequate cooling, so the graphics would quickly deteriorate after more than half an hour of playing.

Just to make sure the problem isn't something to do with the startup splash screen or video playback, try making a shortcut to the executable, and putting -nosplash at the end ot the target line in its properties, something like this "E:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Carrier Command Gaea Mission\carrier.exe" -nosplash

I didn't know the -nosplash switch existed. I'll give it a go and report back in an hour or so.

Edit: From the bottom of my heart, thank you. :D

After messing up a downgrade to Win7, using the recovery disk, reinstalling the VCredist and DirectX9c and adding the -nosplash switch, the game booted. I'm forever indebted. As I asked this on another forum as well, I'll copy the solution there.

Time to go crazy in a Manta.

Edited by StealthGunner385

mine works great on windows 8 Pro x64, but i don't have the steam version, bought and downloaded it on store bistudio

I'm having the same issue and I've tried adding -nosplash to the shortcut target with no success. Any other suggestions?

On my only Windows 8 Pro box - I couldn't get the game to run at all no matter what I tried - no UAC, logon as Admin, run as Admin, run as different user with Admin credentials, changing resolutions, disabling cores, hyperthreading, underclocking, different graphics drivers etc.

I gave up in disgust.

It works just fine on Windows 7

I have tried installing it in my little Asus 1201n laptop with Windows 8 32 bit.

It starts without any problems and you can do stuff in the game. I have not tried much else, because the Atom processor and the nVidia ION card basically beg for death while running this game.

But that wasn't the point. :)

ION? Luxury! I tried on a 1.5Gb 1.6Ghz N270 and it wouldn't even load. I tried on a 4Gb 1.8Ghz D525 and it would load, blackscreen, and hang the system. On a 8Gb 1.6Ghz E350 it runs - barely, not acceptable really. On an laptop 16Gb 1.7Ghz i7 with 2Gb AMD 5850 it ran wonderfully, until it fried the laptop. On a desktop 32Gb 4Ghz i5 with 3Gb AMD 7950 it runs great :)

It appears to run ok on my xbox 360 - however I simply cannot use the controller and gave up in frustration.

However, it doesn't run nearly as well as a 3.5Mhz 128kb Z80 managed to do it ;)

32GB and 4GHz?

No way man. :D

It's a 32-bit game, it cannot even address more than 4GB of RAM (and I bet it doesn't address more than 2GB at any moment). It runs on my 8GB RAM 1.9GHz i7 with 4800 series AMD card at the top framerate my monitor supports. I bet it would run great even if I removed half the RAM.

It's entirely a different story if your computer comes with a lot of bloatware that drains the RAM.

My laptop came with so much shit there that I spent a whole week uninstalling useless memory hogs from ASUS, some of them didn't want to get removed, and by doing so it left the Windows 7 it came with quite unstable. That's the reason it's now running a freshly installed Windows 8 (that took me a week to find all drivers for, by the way...).

And I guess you were joking about the ION being a luxury. If graphic cards would be cars, the nVidia ION is a pogo-stick... :)

Nothing wrong with 32Gb and 4Ghz really. Plenty of rigs with more of both than mine, but I find it useful as I run an ungodly number of VM's as well as a z/OS emulator for JCL. Wish I had more to be honest :(

OK, i not have permissions to create threads.

I byuing Carrier Command on Steam and have next problems:

1. Game not save settings: screen resolution, keybindings, mouse sensitive, e.t.c.

2. When I manually edit file ccsettings.xml, game does no start to run.

3. When I delete ccsettings.xml, game not create new ccsettings.xml and does no start to run.

Please, send me ccsettings.xml.

MOP3E: Did you tried administrator permissions?

MOP3E: Did you tried administrator permissions?

Yes.

Maybe, this is not game error. Steam rewrite ccsettings.xml on my local profile file in game folder, and, as soon as delete ccsettings.xml in game folder, steam at once delete ccsettings.xml on my local profile.

Maybe, this is the reason impossible to save game settings: game settings saved on local profile as soon rewrited.

I delete and reinstall game. Game working again. To change the settings need edit the file \SteamAppscc\common\Carrier Command Gaea Mission\settings.xml. Settings, changes another way, not saving. This is bug.