Sign in to follow this  
Uyematsu

Performance Advice Requested

Hello Forum,

I have tried all the different tips and tricks to adjust my game performance and no matter what I do, I can't seem to get above 30fps in most situations. Generally I am between 17-20 fps in Multiplayer. I only see about a 5fps difference with low settings(11000 draw distance) and auto-detect(16000 draw distance) which puts many of the settings to ultra. I understand that this is Alpha and that the game will be more streamlined as time goes on, but I wanted to see what others more knowledgeable than I had to say about other options that I have available to me.

My Hardware specs (off the top of my head) include a Phenom II 1100T (6cores)@ 3.3Ghz, 8Gbs Memory DDR3, and a(n) Nvidia Gtx 680

My MOBO doesn't have the latest PCI express port which would or should boost the 680 performance; which leads to my first question: What kind of improvements would I see if I upgraded my mobo to fully support the 680? Second, I haven't overclocked my CPU and was wondering how significant a performance boost I would see should I overclock. From what I've gleaned from brief research, people with this processor can easily and safely OC to 4.2Ghz and have sustained stability. What sort of improvement would I see (now and in the future) Please consider my interest in future titles including most prominently Rome 2 Total War (I can't express how excited I am about this game) which will be a CPU intensive game. My other option to consider is I have a current generation AMD proc (bulldozer 4cores)@ 4.2Ghz, that isn't installed and I imagine if I felt the need, i could overclock that as well.

Thanks in advance for the replies,

ScatCat

performance is very variable based on what you see, your settings, server performance, how many players are online and the mission you are on. that said, dont expect great performance on this game, well, dont even expect a good one, and dont expect it to change much if at all by launch.

to me overclock on my x6 1075t is usefull to a point. 30% overclock gives me about 15-20% more performance. a better videocard wont get you better performance on medium to low settings.

things that can be done for you:

turn off pip, turn off shadow, terrain and objects on standard, particles on low and viewdistance 1300 max (lower than this you will be missing out on awareness ingame). you can use anti aliasing and aniso on max, because those will only affect your underutilized gpu so it will barely affect you fps, if at all. (doesnt really affect mine on a 660ti oc)

overclocking to a higher frequency on the first 2 cores and changing to cpus with better design are the most direct and effective approaches to gaining some performance, im not entirely sure about how bulldozer performs but you can check out the 1100T against the 8350 vishera here (i expect bulldozer to fall somewhere in between):

http://i.imgur.com/TpOLckP.jpg

Edited by white

dont worry about PCI 3.0 your 680 wont even saturate the 2.0 pipe right now, the 1100t is a very nice chip, i would get a hyper 212 or water if you can afford it and OC to around 4.0ghz . your rig is stout enough, no need to upgrade save maybe a SSD.

Thanks for the response.

I have a hyper 212 i believe, that or another recommended after market cooler and SSD. Also I've seen that link before and I lost it. Thanks!

After doing some research I found that it really wouldn't be worth the effort to replace my current CPU with the bulldozer as it only has 2 actual physical cores (and 2 logical). Luckily I will be putting together a new rig for someone and I'll give it to them.

I've found that if I play on lower population servers or single player, I can run the game at 50-70 frames on decently high settings

Thanks for the response.

I have a hyper 212 i believe, that or another recommended after market cooler and SSD. Also I've seen that link before and I lost it. Thanks!

After doing some research I found that it really wouldn't be worth the effort to replace my current CPU with the bulldozer as it only has 2 actual physical cores (and 2 logical). Luckily I will be putting together a new rig for someone and I'll give it to them.

I've found that if I play on lower population servers or single player, I can run the game at 50-70 frames on decently high settings

That is not correct, bulldozer architecture does not use logical cores. It uses modules. Which are basically 2 shared cores.

Your CPU just has poor single thread performance, you're being severely CPU bottlenecked.

http://cpuboss.com/cpu/AMD-Phenom-II-X6-Black-1100T

You might want to consider getting either a sandy bridge or ivy bridge i7/i5 CPU from Intel, or wait for the haswell CPUs.

Edit: Comparison against i7 2600k http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-vs-AMD-Phenom-II-X6-Black-1100T-Black-Edition

There is a very clearly labelled thread for this: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147391-Will-my-PC-run-this-What-CPU-GPU-to-get-What-settings-What-System-Specifications please use that, as a new forum user please familiarise yourself with the various forums and the sticky threads in those forums before starting new threads.

§7) Search before posting

If you have a question, please use the forum search function before posting to make sure that it hasn't been answered before. There is a big chance it has, not only does searching help to keep the forum free of multiple threads it will also help you to get an answer much quicker.

§8) Post in the right forum & right thread

Please ensure you make new threads in the correct forum, if you're unsure of which forum to post in feel free to ask a moderator. If a thread exists for the topic you wish to post about you must use it, for example all ACE questions belong in the ACE thread. All addon/mod questions belong in the thread for that addon/mod. In the case of DayZ discussions they should be posted on the DayZ forums, this includes problems with the Modification. The troubleshooting forum is not for problems with Addons and Mods!

Forum rules