Sign in to follow this  
Richie

Hacked by a player with no ID

dev build was fine for me guys

I think I'm also switching over to the DEV build. As for face.jpg, it is possible (and used to be a major issue in the nineties) to embed hidden code in the metadata of an image. Once a windows system attempts to read it, it begins to read everything else embedded in it. Try using windows update a little more often, albeit it is absolutely obnoxious. I'm not saying it IS in fact the Jpeg performing the functions, yet it is a possibility and as such cannot be entirely ruled out. And it would make a lot of sense as to why they are able to skip right through security like a little kid with a baloon.

Here's a picture of the hacker:

34606139.jpg

No reason to think Dev branch is magicly unaffected. And it's not that practical for a dedicated server, for obvious reasons.

The "too big custom file" is a normal message as well - many servers disallow the use of face textures or custom sounds, thus the above error.

If anyone has better ideas, i'm all ears.

Also, if BIS could look into it and fix it, that would be best. Otherwise their Alpha/Beta testing is shot, at least on the MP side..

It worked smoothly since i wrote that comment up until now. Hackers hit the beta patch aswell

---------- Post added at 23:18 ---------- Previous post was at 23:08 ----------

Now the 0.54 works again

Annoying script kiddie since I know you are reading this: When I was young I broke into an alarmed construction yard at night in all black to steal the blueprints to a new McDonalds that my whole county was in protest of. Set the construction back a month. Script kiddies take a lesson here - go do something that actually takes balls to pull off. You're smart enough to manipulate code, go join Annon or something useful. Bohemia is a small, honest company, we're just bored gamers, and you "hacked" an alpha build that has no security. It's not making anyone "rage" - it's just depressing to see your generation waste your talents on something so... pointless. You demand attention on the forums? So lame, you can do better.

read and act accordingly

Okay guys, so I was talking with some server admins, and they said that the attacks are infectious and infect your client so that every server you join after that you infect. He's not hopping from server to server, you are, and it's coming with you. So to stop it, completely shut down your game everytime you jump into a server with it, then when you relaunch it just join a different server and hope it's not infected. Also, before leaving, alert everybody in the lobby they must completely restart their game if they want it to stop happening to them.

To whoever started this sh*t -

Those files probably have a perfectly valid reason, presumably it's so that when a hacker joins a server, and changes everybodies gear to a certain set of gear, they can kill all players and reset everybodies gear quickly. Now you abusing it does nothing. I understand you want that BIS sh*t gone, but why don't you come here and make a thread yourself rather than taking more time than you need to make a script that does your work for you? Not only that, but you could be ruining a hell of a lot of first impressions of this game, effectively killing the chances of community growth on a game you obviously love so dearly that you resort to doing this to fix something. You're not going about it the right way... Not at all are you going about it the right way.

back to the people who actually matter -

This is how you can slow it down guys, it won't be instantly, but if everybody knows this information, it will probably help to slow it down so that only the person who started it can do it. Sure there'll be other people who will be like "LOL KOOL BRUH THIS IS AWSUM LETS GO TRAWLLL LAWLAWLAWLAWL" but just ignore them... Good day.

Also, Bohemia can you try and fix this ASAP please?

The person who is doing this is mostly not actually trying to stop this, he is simply making a fool of Arma III saying how bad it is, and how messed up it is. If he really wanted to do something about it, he would of hid the problem, and simply email them. This my friends is what we call, an asssssssssssssssshoooooooooooooolllllllleeeeeeeee.

Funny thing about this is it was brought up at least a month ago, and the same people said this was absolutely not a problem.

As mentioned before that this could be a infect -> spread virus.

1. Is there a way to see if you are infected?

2. Can someone make a simple tutorial on how to check for the average player understanding level, that we can spread to our joining players?

Some cry baby hacker ruined arma 3 for everyone and I cant say that I'm all that happy, My issue is there anything being done about it? I want to play... But if you have an issue what kind of person do you have to be to ruin EVERYONE ElSES experience instead of the developers... This is BS:mad::mad::mad:

As mentioned before that this could be a infect -> spread virus.

1. Is there a way to see if you are infected?

2. Can someone make a simple tutorial on how to check for the average player understanding level, that we can spread to our joining players?

Only way is to edit out the BIS_fnc_MP from your mission files. Not sure how to do this. If you have a community that you can communicate with just password your server and make sure everyone who joins has closed their client first. Its really pointless to host a server at the moment until we get a hotfix.

Can someone confirm, that the script writes itself into the profile vars file?

By the way, has it always been that both your profile and vars.profile files change (new edit date) when you close A3?

I deleted installscript.vdf and will steam verify to replace it with the original.

Can we protect ourselves by making installscript.vdf read only until the next update?

I now see the brilliance of BIS having released an unsecured alpha this early in their development process.

"Remember guys, this hack is a special type of hack a.k.a "follower hack" it basically spreads from the creator and infects other players making it so that when those infected players join other servers it spreads it to everyone else and so on.

MY POINT: the person who joins your server and hacks it, isn't necessarily THE HACKER or is hacking it on purpose, he is most likely already one of the infected people (caused by the hacker) with the hack planted in his client.

---------- Post added at 02:11 ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 ----------

WE NEED to find who the original person was. I found this quote from the hacker apparently: "I won't stop these attacks until the BIS_fnc_MP command or the BIS scripting library in general are discussed on the forums. No seriously. Go report it. Things will only get worse otherwise." - from the hack on the server

From what I can gather we need to check out this forum and see what happened. My guess is that he got banned or kicked from the forum for doing/ saying something and he's pissed about it. I hope this evidence helps I wouldn't want to see ARMA 3 go away this early!!! due to one hacker!:mad:

---------- Post added at 02:12 ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 ----------

Omg that's the same quote i got!!!!!!!

It appears to lead to a temporary client-side issue once you've played on an "infected" MP server - as someone else stated above. I did have this happen to me on several multiplayer servers today, and it followed me to offline scenarios - specifically, the camera would start floating once I hit "Esc." I ran Kaspersky right after it happened - and it found no viruses/threats. Rebooted the PC and the issue appeared to have disappeared from offine/scenario mode; I did not attempt to join a MP server again.

---------- Post added at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was at 21:14 ----------

"I deleted installscript.vdf and will steam verify to replace it with the original.

Can we protect ourselves by making installscript.vdf read only until the next update?"

I'm curious as to whether or not this is actually necessary. I got similar message when moving from an infected MP server to offline/scenario mode when hitting "Esc" mid-scenario. But after I rebooted the PC I no longer appear to have the issue in offline/scenario mode.

Question: If it's infecting the client side how is it that I and almost 50 other people were later able to play on the goonies server for hours non-stop last night?

I think the hacker was manually doing this and when he had other things to do he left us alone for the rest of the night, but I know nothing about how these attacks work.

Question: If it's infecting the client side how is it that I and almost 50 other people were later able to play on the goonies server for hours non-stop last night?

I think the hacker was manually doing this and when he had other things to do he left us alone for the rest of the night, but I know nothing about how these attacks work.

Like you, I'm no expert. While I can't answer your question I can tell you with absolute confidence that the issue appears on the client-side even when not in MP mode. It "followed" me - that's for sure.

"I wont stop these attacks until the BIS_fnc_MP command or the BIS scripting library in general are discussed on the forums. No seriously. Go report it. Things will get worse otherwise."

Anyone who's been on a server or received this message from being on a server or who hosts a server please stop playing! I know this sounds harsh but if you keep playing you'll make others end up just like you.

I.e this happened to me and ever since I can't play ARMA 3 anymore

for more info: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?153717-Mp-GLOBAL-HACKING-PROBLEM!!!-*READ*!!!&p=2380290#post2380290

Found this as the command the hacker's talking about, seems as if it is easy to hack using this...

community.bistudio.com/wiki/BIS_fnc_MP

Okay, thanks. What a pain. Some hacker used the same sort of reasoning in BF3 stating he was trying to drive a point home to DICE. Real strong logic there.:rolleyes:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?153717-Mp-GLOBAL-HACKING-PROBLEM!!!-*READ*!!!&p=2380290

yea I got the same thing too except a different message:

""I won't stop these attacks until the BIS_fnc_MP command or the BIS scripting library in general are discussed on the forums. No seriously. Go report it. Things will only get worse otherwise." - well i reported it.

But after I rebooted the PC I no longer appear to have the issue in offline/scenario mode.

It seem problem is solved by restarting the game, i tried with some friend, first time ( when we tried to join directly after server reboot ( cause he was " infected " ), the server was directly " infected ", we saw the message in the mission selection directly, but after server reboot and all arma game restart, the problem was " solved " )

But that not really a solution, just a simple guy can infect 40 other players.

So, what we gonna do now ? How really fix this problem ? Waiting ? Lock our servers for playing with restricted player nomber ?

We can just expect developper will awnser quickly about that now.

Mp GLOBAL HACKING PROBLEM!!! *READ*!!!

About a month ago I bought ARMA 3 Alpha. I started playing multi-player right away with now problems at all... except for a few errors a bugs here and there. But other than that it was fine...

NOW just an hour ago I was playing on a server and someone joined and hacked it. How do I know? Well basically everyone died and flew up into the sky. It contained a message saying "I won't stop these attacks until the BIS_fnc_MP command or the BIS scripting library in general are discussed on the forums. No seriously. Go report it. Things will only get worse otherwise." - well i reported it.

ANYWAY the bigger deal is that it seems now that every server I join seems to pop up with the same message and hack. I talked to a friend and he told me it's called "follower hacking" (server A gets infected by Anonymous and player A gets "follower hacked", then player A leaves and goes to server B and that server along with player B and C get follower hacked to and so on.)

Any ideas or help???

Thanks!

There also apparently was more evidence of a previous attack and slightly altered message a couple of months ago posted on another forum.

THIS PROBLEM NEEDS TO BE FIXED ASAP and addressed asap by BIS.

---------- Post added at 02:35 ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 ----------

Other sources: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...13#post2380213