Sign in to follow this  
Richie

Hacked by a player with no ID

So this douchebag is ordering us to stop playing and begin a discussion about something gamemechanics related?..

instead of getting a discussion he's scaring people away from the game and creating alot of people out for his blood

Oh Charlie I didn't know that a gaming being in alpha state was an excuse to be a jerk to the entire community. I hope that BI finds out who this guy is and sues him or at least has him arrested.
probably a little misunderstanding I meant there probably aren't many resources available to stop this kind of rubbish from happening. that's just my two cents since other people were talking about it as well

I don't think this is strictly a server side issue. I've restarted our server, re-uploaded missions, password protected it and the hack returned. I suspect it's a client side issue after having connected to an infected server.

hell if they cant keep a couple of hackers out why the hell do they sell games ?

They sold you a game, that is due release Q3 2013. You have been granted access to alpha, because BI felt it would be great to hear feedback, and have a whole wider test-bed for their product

Oh, and btw, BE (or any other sort of hacker protection is still not available - heard it might be during beta, but i wouldn't hold my breath).

Plus, bear in mind that most servers are under-admin, and poorly configged.

PS:

why i really don't support hackers, i give credit to the lad for pin-pointing this flaw the way he did. Not the best manner, but negative advertising is not always bad advertising ;)

He's apparently incredibly butthurt about the fnc_mp command which allows people to execute remote functions. It's an alpha hombre.

I've been hit by this as well just hosting the headhunters scenario in a locked and passworded server.

Literally every public server for ArmA 3 has been hacked, making all players constantly fly up into the air and eventually die, then the process repeats. Not sure if private/passworded servers were affected. All thanks to a 15 year old who googled how to use scripts in ArmA 3. Congrats.

yep my server is down.

The only servers that are working are the wasteland servers. Wonder if the Wasteland modder did this in hopes that his mod gets even more popular. ;)

probably a little misunderstanding I meant there probably aren't many resources available to stop this kind of rubbish from happening. that's just my two cents since other people were talking about it as well

Good clarification :p

He could at least hack it so we had 1.000 soldiers on main base instead of making it unplayable xD Damn it we can still enjoy the game even if its screw up at some fnc_mp no normal gamer cares about.

What kinda file/config shit is this anyway ?

Yeah all the public european teetimes warfare servers seems to be under attack also, some 15 year old is really badly butthurt , and dosent seem to realize there is already huge anticheat topic on the forums and dosent understand that anticheat measures ain't taken in alpha :E:ADXAS sa. whaHHAHAHAHA

ps. seems to be some sort of bot attack or something cause I'm joining my fifth server and that is also affected...

edit: typos

Edited by SissiSaatana

Also note that this compromises local installations. I entered a few servers with this hack, and now when I go into the Editor and create a mission and then enter Spectator mode / Screenshot mode I experience the same 'message' and animations.

Guess I'll be holding off playing the Alpha until this gets sorted out.

I cannot reproduce this effect, are you using the DEV build?

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

I don't think this is strictly a server side issue. I've restarted our server, re-uploaded missions, password protected it and the hack returned. I suspect it's a client side issue after having connected to an infected server.

Locate this file "installscript.vdf", this is what seems to have been modified. Restarting the server and reuploading missions, in my experience, would not overwrite this. I could be wrong, and will stand corrected if I am however, try to locate an original copy of this file and adjust yours to reflect the basics.

I've actually removed my installscript.vdf file. I believe this functions in a way similar to VAS: perhaps it stores an entry locally to be executed regardless of the server, mission, etc? I don't know much about VAS but I checked the player.vars.arma3alphaprofile file and saw some VAS references. Now, to be clear: I'm not blaming VAS. I'm saying that the storage and execution method might work in a way similar to VAS. I've removed my vars file and have tried running a local MP game. I have not had the issue re-appear in the last ten minutes or so but I'm still testing.

BiS scripting library not a common phrase and coupled with BIS_FNC_MP wouldnt yeild too many results if someone was to search them maybe ?

would it be bad to say if someone wanted them discussing or disabled they might be this same person who does this hacking rubbish ?

I have never played MP by the way just here to maybe help point a finger in some direction but not accuse :).

The only servers that are working are the wasteland servers. Wonder if the Wasteland modder did this in hopes that his mod gets even more popular. ;)

hell even the wasteland servers are hit now

I've tested it on a Lan... apparently its infecting computers... wish they would just go ahead and release Battle Eye 3 so we can be using it and fixing its errors

It's injecting it's self from user's vars, and once an infected user joins your server, everyone else there will then also be infected. Closing the game removes it from your vars as far as we can tell. To say this is a massive problem might be an understatement.

Well this is really taking the piss now :(

We've had this script run 4 times in 4 hours tonight, after that we passworded the server, only 5 of us playing and .... it happened again :o This isn't a script it's a virus

I've actually removed my installscript.vdf file. I believe this functions in a way similar to VAS: perhaps it stores an entry locally to be executed regardless of the server, mission, etc? I don't know much about VAS but I checked the player.vars.arma3alphaprofile file and saw some VAS references. Now, to be clear: I'm not blaming VAS. I'm saying that the storage and execution method might work in a way similar to VAS. I've removed my vars file and have tried running a local MP game. I have not had the issue re-appear in the last ten minutes or so but I'm still testing.

I just searched my vars and a few other files for the skydiving animation, BIS_fnc_MP, and various elements of the possible code used and couldn't find anything in my local installation. It's possible that I "got lucky", or missed something. I find it odd that some have been affected, and others haven't. I did try to question in MP servers if perhaps this individual was trying to eliminate the exploitation methods used by "script kiddies", but was asked "What are you talking about" numerous times. To me, it seems like someone got fed up with being blown up by some twerp in Wasteland. Even if I had the prowess to do such a thing, I don't understand why it seems like a good idea to harm others PERSONAL servers, PERSONAL finances which paid for hosting, and / or PERSONAL time which they use to unwind from their day to day lives.

Okay, it's being discussed, are you happy now? Can we go back to enjoying our downtime? If you don't like it, find a different game to play, or with your capabilities DESIGN a functional component to add security. If you have the prowess to exploit it, you have the prowess to fix it. As I say in seminars and to individuals everywhere, "if you don't like something, change it". Taking it hostage is NOT the answer.

according to Ahoy world, these attacks started yesterday, but they weren't as bad as todays. hm.

according to Ahoy world, these attacks started yesterday, but they weren't as bad as todays. hm.

They did start yesterday but it lasted for 2-3 minutes and people died once and could respawn. Only the cars/heli/quads were blowing up for around 3 minutes.

It could be affecting those that run the game 'as admin' which I had not being doing until just a few days ago.

They did start yesterday but it lasted for 2-3 minutes and people died once and could respawn. Only the cars/heli/quads were blowing up for around 3 minutes.

well the party responsible for them are utter prats.