Sign in to follow this  
axclaw

Please do not allow anyone with modified data file into server you risk a hacker

ive been digging up some info on how or where these hackers been getting their stuff from

anyway in this thread here someone said something about modified data file so it makes sense to not allow anyone with that such thing,

from this link

http://www.***************************************.me/forum/arma-3/88251-arma-3-pbo-hider-5.html

one user said who has the hack working

"All servers see this as a modifed data file. Dunno if this is nearly patched.

So it works, but players like me, seeing someone using a modified data file is a perfect reason to blacklist player from the server i play."

so there you go, kick anyone with modified data

they could be running different skin mods or w/e so what

they could still be hiding a mod with this particular hack

from what i understand

it works as a pbo hider so yea

'modified data' shows up 100% of the time. It's not a hack, it's just something the game says EVERY SINGLE TIME.

'modified data' shows up 100% of the time. It's not a hack, it's just something the game says EVERY SINGLE TIME.

IF you run addons. On the other side, i have already seen hacker/scripters on servers with no addons allowed at all.

Does anyone know, what's the best way to identify active hackers and to prevent hackers from joining/using their hacks (next to passwording your server)?

enable signature checking v2 and disable regularcheck if enabled - done in server .cfg file

verifySignatures=2;

This means they can only join with the same addons run by the server

enable signature checking v2 and disable regularcheck if enabled - done in server .cfg file

verifySignatures=2;

This means they can only join with the same addons run by the server

Totally pointless having sig verification though, It doesn't stop them :(

See my post from today after being hacked and having files uploaded to my server > http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?153686-Hacked-by-a-player-with-no-ID-and-file-injected-to-A3-server-directory

Totally pointless having sig verification though, It doesn't stop them :(

See my post from today after being hacked and having files uploaded to my server > http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?153686-Hacked-by-a-player-with-no-ID-and-file-injected-to-A3-server-directory

for now it don't stop them, expect that to change ...

So what is the best solution then?

Are there any tools to at least identify hackers, so you can ban them?

From what I understand it does stop most of the kids.. the ones that know what they are doing however can hide the fact they are running addons and bypass sig checks. All I know is that once I enabled it the # of hacks dropped dramatically on both servers.

it does work, signature verification that is, we only have 1 or 2 hackers every so often.

Signature verification makes sure nobody joins with mods that aren't authorized by the server, but it doesn't stop more sophisticated hacks which Battleye is supposed to stop. Heck, I can't really call joining with unauthorized mods "hacking". Calling it "hacking" is kind of like dropping a 100$ on the floor and then when someone picks it up charge him with armed robbery.

Signature verification makes sure nobody joins with mods that aren't authorized by the server, but it doesn't stop more sophisticated hacks which Battleye is supposed to stop. Heck, I can't really call joining with unauthorized mods "hacking". Calling it "hacking" is kind of like dropping a 100$ on the floor and then when someone picks it up charge him with armed robbery.

Only for completeness: Whenever one changed the original files, the according checksums are no longer valid. This different checksums are recognized when you enable signature checking. The clear difference to using 3rd-party cheats is that the original files were modified.

It has been reported that nowadays the cheaters using completely different files (also with other checksums) and they hide the visibility completely with harmful Tools (PBO-hider).

But both cases are considered as cheating. The regular online players never has an excuse for wrong signatures.

But both cases are considered as cheating. The regular online players never has an excuse for wrong signatures.

If players with Wrong Signatures are on a server its only the server operator to blame for not having signature check on.

And players with modified datafile are NOT cheaters, so dont start banning hundreds of innocent players.

Here are a tiny part of my servers log file (Arma2) and 95% of players have modified data files. (names x'ed out)

Even my own join shows modified data.

The topic of this thread are totally overkill and should be ignored

16:20:09 xxxxxx uses modified data file

16:22:07 [HUD]Dorph uses modified data file

16:26:35 xxxx uses modified data file

16:48:48 xxxxxxx uses modified data file

16:49:10 xxxx uses modified data file

16:51:05 xxxxx uses modified data file

16:55:13 xxxxxxxxxxxx uses modified data file

16:55:45 xxxxx uses modified data file

17:22:20 xxxxxxxxxx uses modified data file

17:22:24 xxxxxxxxxxx uses modified data file

17:23:28 xxxxxxxxxx uses modified data file

17:23:31 xxxxxxxxxxxxx uses modified data file

17:27:19 xxxxxxxxxxxxx uses modified data file

Edited by [HUD]Dorph

Dorph;2387340']

The topic of this thread are totally overkill and should be ignored

Fully agreed..

No one should be able to host a game if the original files have not been verified.

Why 95 % of the users are reported to be using "modified data" anyway if they have done nothing to their game files? I've always wondered that, it has caused confusion among the players countless times. If the "xxxxx uses modified data" means that they are not using any modified data but the sentence is shown anyway, I think that it's just stupid. Another useless and confusing line spamming the chat and causing the lines that are actually worth of reading to get hidden faster. Yes, one can always open the chat and keep tapping PGUP multiple times to read the previous lines in chat, but there are so many people who don't know it and the line seems to be pointless, actually not even harmless anyway. People have to teach players all the time how to scroll the chat because they can't read the chat thanks to the massive system channel spam. Personally, I've had to explain that to people hundreds of times, and I know that I'm not the only one.

Edited by Ezcoo