Sign in to follow this  
NeuroFunker

Can you play Arma 2, after playing Arma 3 for a while?

I don't mind too much that I'm stuck with high-tech Iranian gear, it is alpha content after all :) and really it's quite nice to face an opponent who is as well-equipped as we are.

I think it kills immersion because they are supposed to be insurgents... talk to a village elder in short and polo shirt, and things tend to go out of the window ;)

---------- Post added at 20:41 ---------- Previous post was at 20:39 ----------

PS: Don't think is fair to compare A2+zillions of mods with A3 Alpha. Go barebone with both, who "wins"?

Arma 2. It has Chernarus. Easy pick ;)

I think it kills immersion because they are supposed to be insurgents... talk to a village elder in short and polo shirt, and things tend to go out of the window ;)

Yup, Beach Boys assault.

guys check out the latest AllinArma update. it's amazing. you can use the old infantry models now (not alongside the new ones yet). you can't use the new stances but what you get is basically arma 2 in the new engine with slightly smoother movement and ragdoll. very awesome update for everyone missing proper units for their scenarios.

Nope! A3 is far more immersive for me even without all it's assets, and it's great using the Dev builds as you can always see something being slightly tweaked and improved each time. It has also brought with it lots of new modders and scripters, I'm sure it won't take long before A3 will have lots of different era based mods.

I still have ofp installed for those nostalgic moments, A2 is now in that category :)

ArmA2 still holds some things over ArmA3 at the moment. Even disregarding mods improving the sound and AI greatly compared to their lack in A3 - some A3 movement "improvements" just feel utterly out of place. The ability to do 360 turns at the speed of light while running, the ability to rotate on your belly like a propeller, a big AT launcher having the same weight as a pistol, you can run full speed up and down the steep hills - even backwards. The fatigue system is gone atm... It makes combat feel more like Quake and not ArmA. Despite having "negative mouse acceleration" and worse animations ArmA2 is still better in those aspects, it doesn't feel like playing an arcade shooter. Unless BIS finds a middle ground it will stay that way.

Edited by metalcraze

At its current state, A3 looks nice and handles nice. And thats about it. As said, the lack of content, updates mess up your missions, fps problems, boring island, stupid "scifi" setting, messy inventory system etc. makes me go back to A2 until they ship A3.

And I think I will be going back to A2 until some of the important mods gets updated to A3.

Re: the remarks on All in Arma's limitations -- stuff like this is why I'm not that interested in any "right away" Arma 2-in-Arma-3 DLC; the "Arma 3 units" placeholders were because previously A2/OA units would break the mod's functionality and I believe cause CTDs, and as was said by kju about the imported A2/OA vehicular issues, "only BI can sort these out". Considering that that would mean 'more work' for a BI that doesn't seem interested, the only "DLC option" that would seem to make sense to me would be a "2013 units/vehicles/weapons" DLC... and at last check, BI is still one of the good guys and not a "Day One DLC" company. ;)

As for where I stand... at this point A2/OA are just content packs for Arma 3. :lol:

Weird thing to say but... Arma 2 AI is better than Arma 3. Especially in gun fights.

Not that weird, actually -- you're comparing alpha AI to an AI with over three years of post-release development and tweaking, even before using any user-made AI mods. Players' opinions of DayZ aside, Rocket specifically cited the maturity and stability of Arma 2/OA as one of the main reasons for using their engine (Real Virtuality 3) as the basis for the DayZ standalone instead of using Real Virtuality 4 which is currently exclusive to Arma 3.

Unfortunately, based on what InstaGoat mentioned back after Gamescom things weren't looking good for the AI development front and I wouldn't be surprised if there hasn't been progress because they're still trying to collect documentation on their own AI. (No idea how much credence the story holds, but there was a rumor going around mid-2012 that due to turnover no one at BI had a complete understanding of the AI.)

Well, as someone who is new to the franchise - and who has Arma 2, Arma 2 OA and Arma 3 installed, I will say this: Can't see myself playing Arma 2/OA now that I have 3 up and running. Granted, there's more content etc. in 2/OA than 3, but I need to invest my time getting to know the controls and other ins/outs of the game down pat, and have no desire to invest in 2/OA given the high quality of 3. Of course, if 3 isn't released until late in the year or next year, I may need to spend time with 2/OA out of boredom. But for now, it's 3 all the way.

't

Arma 3 isn't scheduled for release until Q3 (autumn) 2013, so if that counts as "late in the year"... :p

I definitely suggest giving a go with All in Arma though if you want a relatively full suite of "modern warfare" content in the Arma 3 alpha ready-to-go.

now i have a 100% reason, not to return back to arma 2, all in arma mod, allows now to play with arma 2 ai. I can play nearly any arma 2 mission in arma 3 now. :DD

If I want realism, I play A2.

If I want some COD-style shootouts while controlling a floating orb with a gun glued to the right side of a screen with steady aim even while backwards strafing, then I play A3.

now i have a 100% reason, not to return back to arma 2, all in arma mod, allows now to play with arma 2 ai. I can play nearly any arma 2 mission in arma 3 now. :DD

AiA ports over the ai? Odd. I didnt notice it. Ill give it a second look.

on off topic

Having played a specific mission I must say. Being able to play said mission is not the same as being able to play said mission as intended. A pitch black 2350 mission in Arma 2 is not close to a ported 2350 mission in Arma 3.

Most missions Ive played I havent been able to switch weapons. Once I run out of ammo that is it the weapons disappear when trying to acquire a new one.

Edited by Masharra

Hello there

I *can* play A2 now, but after A3 I just don't *want* to.

Especially with the AIA mod progressing as it is.

Rgds

LoK

Still playing PvP Insurgency in Taki and Zarga - nothing else comes close (yet)...

AiA ports over the ai? Odd. I didnt notice it. Ill give it a second look.
Presumably it means that AiA is now compatible with A2 AI mods.

Is A3 + AiA compatible with ACE and (a cba that supports) JSRS 1.5? Until then...

Is A3 + AiA compatible with ACE and (a cba that supports) JSRS 1.5? Until then...

I didn't try ACE yet but works fine with CBA and 1.5 jsrs. But jsrs needs some tweaking, some sounds are to quite, others to loud. But distance battle sound do work well. Using jsrs 1.4 seems to be almost perfect.

guys check out the latest AllinArma update. it's amazing. you can use the old infantry models now (not alongside the new ones yet). you can't use the new stances but what you get is basically arma 2 in the new engine with slightly smoother movement and ragdoll. very awesome update for everyone missing proper units for their scenarios.

Yeah, noticed it yesterday after I applied the new update. There seem to be a few problems however with the default Arma 3 units, including some crashes.

---------- Post added at 13:53 ---------- Previous post was at 13:45 ----------

some A3 movement "improvements" just feel utterly out of place. The ability to do 360 turns at the speed of light while running, the ability to rotate on your belly like a propeller, a big AT launcher having the same weight as a pistol, you can run full speed up and down the steep hills - even backwards.

I sincerely hope this gets fixed, along with the first aid system (which is way too forgiving IMO) and the non-blinding sun. These three things are my major gripes with Arma 3 as it is now. Most of the other things I could live with (even the fast grenade throws) but the movement is a major issue, and IMO doesn't fall under "accessibility" but rather "dumbed down".

The fatigue system is gone atm...

It is more pronounced in the dev build, although I think that fatigue isn't having enough effect and you can do too much without getting fatigued.

It is more pronounced in the dev build, although I think that fatigue isn't having enough effect and you can do too much without getting fatigued.

Nah, there's no difference at all between stable and dev builds. When ArmA3 Alpha just came out the promising fatigue system was there, you couldn't run literally forever anymore. Had to walk after a km or two of jogging. Looked like A3 was finally getting to ACE standards.

Not to say it wasn't "streamlined" and "accessible" enough - but we are back to square one now where you can do marathons with M107 and Javelin on your back again.