Sign in to follow this  

Paintball

On Thursday I'm going to play paintball for the first time in my life. If I remember correctly there were several forum regulars that were quite knowledgeable on the subject, and I would appriciate if you could give a complete newbie some advice smile.gif

This is what I know for Thursday:

* about 20 people will play (divided into two teams)

* CTF game

* in the woods

* semi auto weapons

* we rent all the basic gear (weapons, mask, protective outfit...)

Now, what I would like to know is how accurate these weapons are, and at what range? How large are the magazines? Can you reload fast?

How is the typical gameplay? Is it running around shooting or crawling around being more cautious?

Any good advice on tactics?

Does it hurt to get hit? wow.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Well, any advice is very welcome since I'll be the only one in the group that hasn't played before and I'd wouldn't really like to get my ass kicked entirely wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 22 2002,17:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, any advice is very welcome since I'll be the only one in the group that hasn't played before and I'd wouldn't really like to get my ass kicked entirely wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I don't know nothing about paintball, but if u don't want your ass kicked, I suggest u bring that nice Walther u got with u wink.gif

Paintball is really just a game because you can not really use any iron sights (no room for them), that's why I don't play it.

biggrin.gif I think you get more realism in OFP

With the range and reload etc. depends entirely on which gun you have... completely 100%. tounge.gif

Usually paintball turns into running around because of "shooting from the belt" , you need to shoot a couple rounds to see where the heck they will land. Like an M2 machine gun.

Really, it depends on what those people decide to do, if they go trigger happy, you can not sneak around and be cautious, it blows it all away. Ofcourse it hurts to get hit, don't you want it to?? lol

I can't really give you any more info as this is not my favourite thing.

Perhaps I'll use Homer Simpson tactics: I'll cry like a little girl and when they turn away in disgust I shoot them in the back and run away like hell biggrin.gif

I've only played 1v1s (until some dumb pig stole my friends gun) and it was a lot of hiding and getting the shit scared out of you when 3 rounds splat right next to your head.

The best is afterwords comparing welts biggrin.gif

Ok so I don't exactly play Paintball, but I play Tagball, which is basically indoor paintball in a dark maze with some open spaces, and rubber-coated ball-bearings instead of paint. (The guns PSI is lowered a bit, since it would be too painful for most people at the original setting of 300psi or so, since when a paintball impacts it breaks up, and dosen't hurt as much as a solid metal ball covered in rubber, we play at 150-200 PSI). Anyways to your questions:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now, what I would like to know is how accurate these weapons are, and at what range? How large are the magazines? Can you reload fast?<span id='postcolor'>

Pretty accurate as you start out, you may notice the ball arcing down somewhat after 40 minutes or so as your CO supply diminishes. You'll learn to compensate quickly, the balls are visible as you shoot, so you can use them as tracers smile.gif. The magazines generally hold about 150 balls, but if you fill it more than 70%, you risk jamming. (I'm talking gravity-loaders).

You can reload as quickly as you can open the loader lid, grab a handfull of balls from your pouch, drop them in and close the lid .

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How is the typical gameplay? Is it running around shooting or crawling around being more cautious?

Any good advice on tactics?

<span id='postcolor'>

That all depends on who you're playing with and your environment. The maze where I play get's changed around every few weeks, so it's never the same. I've played lots of games where I just "Ramboed" it and ran around shooting <- usually as a distraction as the rest of my team flanked. Or "Sneaky Bastard" style where I snuck around the enemy and took a good number of e'm out from behind....or then again I've played many games where I laid prone covering a position for a long time and hardly fired a shot. Best tactic? stay low, and make sure you watch your flanks and your back. Break the team up into pairs or threes, if a lot of people fours, but avoid staying in large groups, or you'll just distract each other and make one big target.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does it hurt to get hit?      

<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, it wouldn't be fun any other way smile.gif

In Paintball, it's obvoius you've been hit cuz of the big colorful stain on your shirt. In Tagball how do you know if someones been hit? Wouldn't a lot of people cheat?

Thats the same problem I have with airsoft guns.

Some hoppers will hold 150-200 rounds. So think sustained fire smile.gif

Throw out any conceptions you may have of having real tactics. Most general plans even fall apart within 30 seconds of getting onto the field.

Can you check out where you will be playing, beforehand? Knowing the trails and routes between the flag bases is often the difference between winning and losing. It also lets you pick good spots to ambush the enemy who may be carrying your flag.

So long as the guns arent 'hot' (well over 300fps) it doesnt hurt all that much. Quite often it's not till the end of the day when you start to relax that you even notice the welts. Though Jesus once shot me in that little spot on the top of your head...man..it made my eyes water. Oi!

I need to play again...it's a rush smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ July 22 2002,18:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In Paintball, it's obvoius you've been hit cuz of the big colorful stain on your shirt.  In Tagball how do you know if someones been hit?  Wouldn't a lot of people cheat?<span id='postcolor'>

That's normally only a problem if you're playing with some 12-16 year olds, you know the CS type crowd (no offense to any 12-16 year olds here). Mostly I play with people I know so it's all good. However there are always two refs on the field, and if they catch you cheating, the next game they take your gun away, send you in the maze with a 10 second head start, and then send every one else in after you.....and THEY get to decide when you're "dead"....I've seen this a couple of times, thankfully not too often, and I've always *almost* felt sorry for the dumb bastard.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How large are the magazines?<span id='postcolor'>

They are huge containers that stick out the side of the paintball gun.They hold up to i think 200 rounds.Just be shure to carry plenty CO2 cartridges.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Can you reload fast?

<span id='postcolor'>

Not really.Some times you dont need to reload, just the CO2 mostly.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does it hurt to get hit? <span id='postcolor'>

No. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How is the typical gameplay? Is it running around shooting or crawling around being more cautious?

<span id='postcolor'>

Yea, useally there is hay stacks around, to hide behind, or logs, even ponds.(yes you go in the ponds to smile.gif )

Somtimes building, or trees. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ July 22 2002,12:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">However there are always two refs on the field, and if they catch you cheating, the next game they take your gun away, send you in the maze with a 10 second head start, and then send every one else in after you.....and THEY get to decide when you're "dead"....I've seen this a couple of times, thankfully not too often, and I've always *almost* felt sorry for the dumb bastard.<span id='postcolor'>

AHAHAHAHA That's a great idea.

And a note on the hurting:

If you're wearing long sleaves and pants and a facemask you should be alright. The hurt is enough to make you not want to get hit again, but not enough to make you stop playing.

Reloading: Fast. Unless you're like me and you forget to close the lid completely so next time you hit the dirt all your balls come flying out and you're scrambling around picking them up while your friends are hunting you :\

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ July 22 2002,18:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Reloading:  Fast.  Unless you're like me and you forget to close the lid completely so next time you hit the dirt all your balls come flying out and you're scrambling around picking them up while your friends are hunting you :\<span id='postcolor'>

ROFL [Memories of one of my first games, when a friend ran out of ammo and I dropped all my balls when opening the lid to give him some, then me frantically crawling on the ground, trying to reload while he threw balls by hand at the advancing enemy]  biggrin.gif

If your playing in the woods get some gloves.One time i ran in a thornbush those gloves sure did help.

Oh. Wear 'protection'

Trust me on this.

As Frank later said 'They're the size of freaking grapefruits' No one will intentionally shoot you in the groin from five feet...but accidents happen, as Frank found out biggrin.gif

We all wore out cups after that smile.gif

Most of all, have fun... and every time you spot somone, imagine it's that fellow from the last exercise that got most of your boys killed...and... giver 'im hell!

Make sure you have decent ball too. I remember my friend and I playing once at night in suburbia just me and him. I saw him coming down the road so I hid behind this bush/tree. He didn't see me and proceeding to run across the street and hide on the other side of the bush I was on. I started unloading rounds. I must have fired a good 40 at him, and him at me since I scared him to death. Unfortunatley none of them hit. They all splattered on the branches sad.gif He said he could taste the paint splattering through his mask but none hit.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ July 22 2002,19:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh. Wear 'protection'<span id='postcolor'>

In Tagball our ammo pouches cover the groin. More good reason to call them Ballsacks smile.gif. Girls who play get to wear freaking motorcycle vests. lol (You KNOW when you hit them though, those make a distinctive thwack sound when they get hit...plus most girls I've played with would scream even if it didn't hurt, they just freak because they're being hit and they're afraid it's GOING to hurt biggrin.gif )

Make sure if you rent your weapon to test it out before you go on the range with it. And if you have the choice get a semi auto instead of a pump....you might even want to get a paintpistol for a sidearm if you can.

and DEFINATELY wear a cup, nut shots aren't any fun. wow.gif

Theres not much poaint ball stuff near me but theres a few laserzone places which is fun and u get ppl shooting lasers at u instead of ballsflying at ur nads at 300fps biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ July 22 2002,22:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">theres a few laserzone places which is fun and u get ppl shooting lasers at u instead of ballsflying at ur nads at 300fps biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Tried those.....LAME! Everyone's walking around looking like a freaking lit up christmas tree, 99.9% are playing Rambo style cause there's no painful projectiles for them to fear, and after a while you learn how to cover up the "target zones" on your vest so hits don't register tounge.gif

And there are always those morons that shoot you from a metre even though you shouted "gotcha". And those short-distance shots leave bruises. On the other hand we got different pressure-guns in germany. I dont know how you call it in English but there is a little thing inside the gun that controlls the gas-pressure with which a bullet is accelerated. In germany we got less stronger ones, but a simple trip to holland and you get full pressure! But the morons that cheat by using those are the ones that give worst bruises! sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ July 22 2002,23:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ July 22 2002,22:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">theres a few laserzone places which is fun and u get ppl shooting lasers at u instead of ballsflying at ur nads at 300fps biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Tried those.....LAME! Everyone's walking around looking like a freaking lit up christmas tree,  99.9% are playing Rambo style cause there's no painful projectiles for them to fear, and after a while you learn how to cover up the "target zones" on your vest so hits don't register tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

OOOOH. I played laser tag ONCE because of this. I caught one guy with his vest tucked away from his body, behind an obstacle.

I had to restrain myself from beating him into a bloody pulp biggrin.gif And that's why I dont play laser tag smile.gif

And it's not as exciting as paintball anyways. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 21 2002,20wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now, what I would like to know is how accurate these weapons are, and at what range? How large are the magazines? Can you reload fast?<span id='postcolor'>

You can hit targets up to 150' away with practice. but you aren't shooting at the target, you are lobbing the balls at it. having said that, ballistically the guns IU played with were pretty consistant.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How is the typical gameplay? Is it running around shooting or crawling around being more cautious?<span id='postcolor'>

Best tactic in my day was just to set up a skirmish line across the zone, advance to contact, and have it out. It's the best counter to the same tactic, and if the opposition tries to run a flank, they can be quckly encircled.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Any good advice on tactics?<span id='postcolor'>

See above <!--emo&wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does it hurt to get hit?  wow.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Usually the adrenalin is running so fast you hardly feel any hits. But there are, in my experience, two absolute show stoppers: The golden shot, which contacts with unspeakeable pain with the old family heirlooms (every male eye on the site crosses simultaneously in sympathy), and a hit to the inside of the upper thigh, which merly produces hopping and swearing. Anywhere else is hardly worth mentioning, unless the gun is hot, in which case feel free to twat the bastard that shot you.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, any advice is very welcome since I'll be the only one in the group that hasn't played before and I'd wouldn't really like to get my ass kicked entirely wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

These rules are about ten years old, but I guess some things don't change:

1. Make sure your gun isn't firing hot. If the site has a chronograph, make damned sure your gun is shooting right

2. Act like a target, and you will be one. use cover.

3. Think like a target, and the same thing applies. Sombody shoots at you, you bloody well shoot back. Looking for your next piece of cover is important; Looking for your next target is the game!

4. If you and your friends are all newbies, you will lose. Accept it, and go for personal victories, EG, take three of the bastards with you.

5. Stay away from people who say: "I'm only her for a bit of fun," Because one thing you can guarantee is that fun is one thing these jokers won't have! If you went into a football game spouting those immortal words, nobody would blame your team-mates for planting two pairs of size ten studded soles in your head.

6. If there are vets on your own team, talk to them in between games, watch what they do during games. Getting the two mixed up can be painful.

7. If the Vets are all on the other team, ignore the wanker strutting around between games packing the latest kit. watch for the quiet sod sat in the corner with his gun stripped; chances are he's the twat that just shot you in the back.

Good hunting, dude. biggrin.gif

Oh, and this is a cool game (but nothing for cat-lovers). It is from NBC-Giga so you can download it, it is safe. I garanty this with my life!  biggrin.gif

Cat-a-pult

you can excercise a little! I hope it is not too much german humor I expect of you there!

tounge.gif