Sign in to follow this  
ArmyRanger555

OFP crashing with RAM

Hi I used to play operation flashpoint with 128megs of RAM which would make it go slow, then I installed an additional 256 megs and now it always crashes when I play it could anybody help me here. Ive reinstalled and all that stuff. PLEASE!

Try running a memory test (not the one on the computer bootup, a REAL memory test) on the new memory module. In my experience 3 in 4 of the cheap/OEM memories have a few faulty addresses. Most systems run fine with those but especially AMD/VIA chipsets tend to crash more often with those.

The solution is to invest in good manufacturer memories. Kingston, Apacer, etc.

Yes, I had the same problem with faulty extra 256 Mb, so did my friend. Ofp seems to the best mem-test available...

I bought cheap RAM for my AMD/VIA setup, and could not figure out for months why my system would lock up, crash, or spontaneously reboot during all of my games.

Finally I said screw it, bought a 512MB stick of Crucial RAM, and have not had a single crash since. That was over a month ago.

Don't buy cheap RAM, it will only come back around to bite you in the ass. Crucial (the best stuff you can get) is $30 for a 256MB stick shipped. Try the computer with each of your RAM sticks in by itself - if you only get the problem with the new stick, it's almost certainly faulty RAM. Go for it, see if that fixes the problem.