Sign in to follow this  
IcovaRook

Just heard about ARMA 3 , have a few questions.

Ive enjoyed many shooter starting with BF 1942 and all the mods, thru PS2. This looks like a very interesting game, and I have ton of questions, more that I'd care to post, but here are a few.

) Sub Based? this assume is no, but don't know til I ask.

) the different payment options? Am looking at the supporter package but not sure if thats really what I need, my intent is to play thru alpha, and continue after release

) What(if anything)about these two previous question am I off track about?

)Steam? download/instal steam as normal and go from there?

)TS3 or Vent? Anyone willing to get with me on either vent or TS3 and give me a few minutes to help me get a clearer picture about ARMA 3. Gameplay Im not concerned with ATM, I am just cautious when thinking of investing money, in a game.

Thank you for your time, I appologize in advanced if I have posted incorrectly.

1:

What do you mean by "sub based"?

2:

It doesnt matter what version you buy, you will get acces to Alpha, Beta and Final with all.

3:

Dont understand the sub based question.

4:

It works as every other steam game, no difference.

Download steam, buy arma, download arma, done :)

Hope it helps abit :)

EDIT:

Ahh sub = subscription ;) No, theres nothing like that.

Edited by Byrgesen

No, it's a one time purchase. If you buy it, you own the licence and can even transfer it to someone else later.

Any package you buy will give you acess to the Alpha, Beta and when it's released, the final game as well. You can read more about what's included in them here

Arma 3 is steam exclusive so you just download it from steam as any other steam game. However once the gold version is released, there will be hardcopies for the installation. They still have to be activated via steam.

1:

What do you mean by "sub based"?

2:

It doesnt matter what version you buy, you will get acces to Alpha, Beta and Final with all.

3:

Dont understand the sub based question.

4:

It works as every other steam game, no difference.

Download steam, buy arma, download arma, done :)

Hope it helps abit :)

EDIT:

Ahh sub = subscription ;) No, theres nothing like that.

Oh sorry sub based I meant Subscription based. And Thankyou both for your reply's.

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:26 ----------[/size

OK that really covers it for now, I just need to decide if the aditional maps, etc are of enough value to buy one of the two more costly packs,

The free extra content in the supporter, future dlc'c the Cold War Assault, ARMA X anniversary, Maps and Guides etc, any feed back here?

What are your opinions of these later?

Edited by IcovaRook

Well especially if you're new to the series, the supporter package is interesting as it contains every Arma game from the past (Arma X) and every future DLC for Arma 3. Those make up the most value. And since you can actually already play Arma 2 maps and mods in the new Arma 3 engine, there is a massive amount of content for you. Take a look at e.g. anything from here; you can play it! Maps and guides aren't really necessary. If you got the money, get the supporter edition :)

Well especially if you're new to the series, the supporter package is interesting as it contains every Arma game from the past (Arma X) and every future DLC for Arma 3. Those make up the most value. And since you can actually already play Arma 2 maps and mods in the new Arma 3 engine, there is a massive amount of content for you. Take a look at e.g. anything from here; you can play it! Maps and guides aren't really necessary. If you got the money, get the supporter edition :)

I will, for sure, was just looking on steam seeing the past games etc, thats $30 alone. Only thing is the ARMA site itself, shows the supporter pack but steam does not. Im sure it isn't a problem.

It's been a while since Ive used Steam for anything other than Skyrim, so I guess buy the supporter pack from ARMA, and it will work fine with steam?

I've never heard of anyone using Vent with A3. TS3 has a vitally important radio mod for it.

The supporter edition is available from BI own store only. However, any and all editions are activated through steam.

Welcome to the forums

Only thing is the ARMA site itself, shows the supporter pack but steam does not. Im sure it isn't a problem.

It's been a while since Ive used Steam for anything other than Skyrim, so I guess buy the supporter pack from ARMA, and it will work fine with steam?

It will work perfectly fine. It's just limited to the BIStore because you need a BIS profile to make use of all the content such as the forum badge

No subs, it's a one off and if there is any DLC (provided they follow the A2 model) then you will get it for free in a later patch (at a lower quality mind you) so you won't have to worry about DLC cutting you off from being able to play with friends and others.

)TS3 or Vent? Anyone willing to get with me on either vent or TS3 and give me a few minutes to help me get a clearer picture about ARMA 3. Gameplay Im not concerned with ATM, I am just cautious when thinking of investing money, in a game.

This one hasn't been answered adequately yet.

Definitely TS3. The ACRE mod which is pretty much a must-have relies on teamspeak.

Edited by RasdenFasden

ARMA3 has a built-in VoIP system which works well with various channels available so you won't need TS straight away.

ACRE is a good mod but it was quite problematic to run and every update was a nightmare to get everyone working in my clan.

Would be great if A3 gets a similar radio system as standard.

If money is a bit tight then just get the basic Alpha pack for now. Then if you like it (which is most likely) you can get DLCs as they come out. BIS pricing is very fair and there will be hundreds of free things like mods, addons, maps and missions.

Check out www.armaholic.com if you haven't seen it already.

OK that really covers it for now, I just need to decide if the aditional maps, etc are of enough value to buy one of the two more costly packs,

The free extra content in the supporter, future dlc'c the Cold War Assault, ARMA X anniversary, Maps and Guides etc, any feed back here?

What are your opinions of these later?

Arma 3 is not even guaranteed to have DLC, the promise is only that Supporter Edition will cover DLC if there is any (but not standalone expansions or sequels) which makes that part worth less than all the AAA/console games' own Season Passes. :p

Instead of what PurePassion said, I would say "get the Supporter Edition ONLY IF you want to play three full games with most of the last game's DLC right now" because that's what Arma X is -- Arma: CWA, Arma Gold Edition, Arma 2, Operation Arrowhead (standalone expansion for Arma 2) and two of OA's DLCs. (Arma 2: Complete has all three DLCs but doesn't have CWA and Arma Gold.) I'm told that CWA has a great single-player campaign, possibly the best in the series (though that "it was all downhill after that" :p) but Arma Gold had a case of "was made to pay the bills", so Arma 2/OA/the DLCs are what matter here -- and since the DLCs are not needed for multiplayer or mod compatibility (the parts that matter are all part of OA) they're basically just higher-res texture/sound packs with a single-player campaign each for each of the three forces (British Army, private military contractors, and Czech Army), although I'm told that the "no DLC" textures/sounds for the British, PMCs and Czech units were really bad.

If you're wondering, the Supporter Edition includes a separate giftable copy of CWA in addition to the one for whoever redeems the Arma X key.

Personally I already had Arma 2/OA and two DLCs, I didn't want CWA or Arma Gold and I didn't want any of the digital extras, so the almost $60 savings from just buying regular Arma 3 was very valuable considering that I was moving soon (just moved in to the new place). However, thanks to this mod I'm able to play with Arma 2 content, both BI-made and user-made, in Arma 3 (albeit very imperfectly). If that interests you, what you could do would be to get just the regular Arma 3 now at alpha then buy the Arma 2 stuff when it gets a discount sale, whether on Steam or on the BI Store.

(If you choose to get the regular Arma 3 and get Arma 2 later, then as seen on Arma 2's Steam storefront page there are three Arma 2 bundles: Arma 2: Combined Operations, Arma 2: Complete Collection and Arma X: Anniversary Edition. CO is A2/OA and is all that you need for multiplayer compatibility, while Complete Collection has CO plus all three DLC texture/sound/campaign packs.)