Sign in to follow this  
BunnyPoopCereal

Anyone seen facial armor systems yet?

Hello there

Interesting kit.

The in game pilot's "faceplate" is not for protection, rather for oxygen/comms FYI.

Rgds

LoK

The only thing I've seen thus far resembling this type of armor can be seen below, and that's only for pilots.

http://h13.abload.de/img/241528_19664959038177nvfvm.jpg (241 kB)

That's the oxygen mask pilots use for high altitude breathing (continuous flow, diluter demand, and pressure demand), it offers no armor rating what so ever.

Facial systems aren't implemented in the game as of right now [0.54A] they may be added in the future but it's never been shown or in any literature so far, there is how ever armor rating for helmets already implemented.

;2378329']That's the oxygen mask pilots use for high altitude breathing (continuous flow' date=' diluter demand, and pressure demand), it offers no armor rating what so ever.

Facial systems aren't implemented in the game as of right now [0.54A'] they may be added in the future but it's never been shown or in any literature so far, there is how ever armor rating for helmets already implemented.

There are armoured heli crew pilots in A3 allready, the one shown in the OPs post is the F35 pilot helmet though.

The Maxillofacial shield is to protect the wearer's face from rotor wash and flying debris. It's not really a ballistic armour system.

The Maxillofacial shield is to protect the wearer's face from rotor wash and flying debris. It's not really a ballistic armour system.

Isn't Mtek's Predator G4 supposed to withstand at least one 7.62*39 rd at 30-something feet ?

Isn't Mtek's Predator G4 supposed to withstand at least one 7.62*39 rd at 30-something feet ?

won't stop it breaking your neck if your unlucky from whiplash, or breaking your jaw and knocking you out while scrambling your brains.

armor dosn't magically make the bullets kentic energy disapear, it just stops it being highly focused. it still has to be disapated, think the bruises that people get under there body armor, which is thicker and heavier, then imagine that on your head but worse.

also head armor is a toss up, yes you may reduce potential fatal wounds, but you also decrease visability (or gain to little protection to maintain it), while reducing breathing ability (try wearing a mask while running its great fun), increasing the weight on your neck further. you also reduce non radio speaking ability

the only way i see it entering mainstream use would be if poltical requirements made it a absolute (like always using body armor is)

considering the game setting in 2030 , the use of such protections could be more common than nowadays .

Althought it would require a major breakthrough in ballistic protection materials ( such as graphene , engineered biofibers and such fancy materials ) to make facial armor really pratical and useful . Today it offer too many drawbacks and little protection.

I've never heard of it but that sounds a little optimistic.

I've never heard of it but that sounds a little optimistic.

I think you are being polite. :n:

The questionable ballistic capabilities aside, those things look like they would seriously effect your visibility as well as restrict your movement. How do you get a proper cheek weld and I wonder what it is like trying to take a drink in one of those things? In my mind these things are more show than go. Given the choice of being lighter, agile, faster and consequently more exposed is better then being bulky, heavy and slow in my own personal opinion. The risk of being exposed is worth the trade off in speed.

Ops-core, (the company that makes the BLUFOR helmet already in the game), makes some armored side covers for their FAST helmet. http://www.ops-core.com/Up-Armor_Side_Covers_Ballistic_P35C20.cfm

Or if looking like a cool Spartan warrior is what you are after, Crye Precision makes "Chops" for their AirFrame helmet. http://www.cryeprecision.com/C-122/Headborne-Systems

On the subject of helmets I would really like to see lighter non-ballistic helmets added. Ops-core makes a FAST Carbon helmet that while looks a lot like the ballistic FAST, is made of light weight carbon fiber shell. It gives you a system to mount NVD's, lights, but without the weight.

level IIIA is .357 and .44 pistol rounds... so, no not really. If it requires ceramic plates to withstand 7.62 then its obvious that a thin strapon thing for your helmet (that isnt rifle proof either) wont do the trick.

Pretty interesting, was wondering about this today. The ones in the OP only offer IIIA protection though. III or IV would prob be more in line with the polish stuff mmaruda posted.

Was going to make a new post of it but found this thread. Even if it stops bullets, wouldn't the force from the impact snap your neck back? Unless it comes with a "cowboy collar" neck rolls that some American football players wear to prevent their heads from getting whipped back.

Was going to make a new post of it but found this thread. Even if it stops bullets, wouldn't the force from the impact snap your neck back? Unless it comes with a "cowboy collar" neck rolls that some American football players wear to prevent their heads from getting whipped back.

I think it's more for shrapnel than stopping a bullet fullon.

Here’s a video of the FAST M3A mask that the Army is or was looking into. Yes it does stop 7.62mm x 39 round at 25 feet or further but like he says in the video, it’s going to hurt and at that range you’re not going to just get up and walk it off.

It’s also important to note that in the video the face mask actually flexed and popped off the helmet… This is a bad thing but in real life it probably wouldn't happen since they were shooting a bolted down mannequin head.

As for injuries sustained, I don’t think you’d snap your neck from the force simply because as I stated above, everything from your shoulders down isn't rigid…Unless you’re leaning against a wall with only your head and neck sticking up. . When you head is hit, it snaps back, once it goes back to a certain point the next thing to move back is your torso, eventually throwing you off balance and putting you on the ground.

More than likely the injuries you can expect to see are going to be broken facial structure bones, missing teeth, deep cuts, possible torn muscles, bruises, and MAYBE neck fractures but I doubt it

In addition there are a few companies that make Ballistic face mask or ballistic face shields… Some of the more notable ones are the type seen in Army of Two. http://www.interamer.com/ballisticfacemaskleveliiiafull.aspx (Ugly in my opinion)

As others have said, in most cases you sacrifice visibility, breathability and ultimately operational stamina in return for more protection.

I still think it'd be wise to implement a football-style neck roll to prevent neck injury from impact.

small_GLENNHARBIN2_15200.JPG

I still think it'd be wise to implement a neck roll to prevent neck injury from impact. If you want to armor up that much, go all the way.

http://www.halloffamememorabilia.com/images/products/p-480280-bryan-cox-51-autographed-hand-signed-miami-dolphins-football-8x10-photo-hc-0xhjp2odpz.jpg (235 kB)

You can't go prone and use a rifle with all that neck protection. All over the world the main doctrine is "fighting abilty goes over protection".

You can't go prone and use a rifle with all that neck protection. All over the world the main doctrine is "fighting abilty goes over protection".

Yes, I was thinking more of CQB.

From what I read, the military is more interested in the shrapnel protecting qualities of face mask then bullet protection. I can't remember were I read the article, I'm looking for a link right now, but they did a study were it shown that even a basic full masked motorcycle helmet with just a few adjustments reduced damage to the face by explosives greatly.

Facials? ;)

But in all seriousness, I don't really think this is necessary. I mean, it must be really awkward to wear, and how much could it *really* block? Maybe a pistol round from 20 meters, but besides that it's not really useful.

Personally I think BI should be focusing on their current projects (Helicopter DLC, Marksman DLC, Expansion, etc) and continuing to improve the current game, but not this kind of thing.

g4_front_500-500x500.jpg

The Predator FAST (Facial Armor SysTem) G4 is the newest generation of the G Series Armor Systems designed and manufactured by MTek Weapon Systems. While the G3A was designed for vehicle mounted convoy operations, it was put to the test in a multitude of tasks while issued out for combat operations by the U.S. Army in both Iraq and Afghanistan. With technological advancements made with both the design and the manufacturing process we were able to develop the G4 into the strongest, lightest, and most user friendly maxillofacial protection system on the market today! Our advancements combined with feedback direct from end-users' enabled us to create what we believe is the most compatible protection system available with your currently issued gear. The G4 still boasts an impressive protection level that meets or exceeds that of the current issued Army Combat Helmet (ACH) and the Marine Corps Lightweight Helmet (LWH), while weighing less then ONE Lbs.

Even at less than ONE lb the G4 (just like it's predecessor) can stop lead core AK rounds (7.62x39) at 25 feet!!

Just that it would be a pain in the neck from impact, but that's why I suggested the neck roll. This would most likely be used for CQB rather than long range shooting prone anyways.

Edited by Eddo36