Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Aspect ratio 21:9 for Ultrawide monitors

Hi guys!

Is possible the new chance the new ratio (21:9) for Ultrawide PC monitors?

Thanks!

Carles (Spain)

I have no idea but i just wanna say WOW the peripheral vision you can get with 21:9 if its possible lol.

Thats a crazy FOV, right there.

Do you own such a monitor or just thinking of getting one?

After seing that video linked in the feedback tracker i'm convinced, i want such monitor :D

Me too. For those who havent bothered with the video: They test what games actually show more of the scene, and what games that only stretch the video to fill the screen. They start at 1920x1080 (16:9, Full HD) then change to the wider resolution. For instance, Black Ops 2 does not benefit from a 21:9 resolution (2:33 in the video)

Lets hope that this could enter Arma 3 at one stage. Definitely voted!

OP

Edited by Old_Painless

this shall still work just edit Username.Arma3AlphaProfile , profile file values, fovLeft and (if you want change vertical also fovtop)

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Operation_Flashpoint:_FAQ:_SinglePlayer#Adjusting_your_field_of_view_.28FOV.29.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Aspect_Ratio_Management

this shall still work just edit Username.Arma3AlphaProfile , profile file values, fovLeft and (if you want change vertical also fovtop)

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Operation_Flashpoint:_FAQ:_SinglePlayer#Adjusting_your_field_of_view_.28FOV.29.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Aspect_Ratio_Management

But does it scale without "pulling" in the actual picture, or do you have to set it manually to prevent that?

Like shown in the video BlackOps 2 didnt work well, it just pulled the picture and everything became wider. Not ideal.

Many of the other games did give a very increased FOV, without manual intervention, and kept the same width on the models and textures. Thats ideal.

Where will A3 be in this autoscale correctly vs manual FOV adjustment?

Do you have official plans to support 21:9 resolutions?

I dont own such a monitor so i cant test it myself, but i would like to know if its worth getting for A3, or if it will react like BlackOps 2 in the video.

FOV is such a bitch to play around with tbh.

imo the engine should scale properly for the manually defined resolution related to 64:27

you can set resolution inside arma3alpha.cfg file (edit before starting game)

(there is no 21:9, that's just marketing nonsense because it's 4^3:3^3 and that was too complicated )

fovLeft

fovTop

can be used to alter the FOV if the automatic scaling fails

imo the engine should scale properly for the manually defined resolution related to 64:27

you can set resolution inside arma3alpha.cfg file (edit before starting game)

(there is no 21:9, that's just marketing nonsense because it's 4^3:3^3 and that was too complicated )

fovLeft

fovTop

can be used to alter the FOV if the automatic scaling fails

Ok, thanks for the word Dwarden and although 21:9 might be nonsense, thats what the consumers are gonna call it imo.

So now we need someone to test it and provide video feedback, to see how well it is handled :)

Wont buy such a monitor till im sure it works the way it should, im pretty cheap hehe.

in arma3alpha profile file , try use following values:

for 21:9

fovTop=0.94;

fovLeft=2.1900001;

for 15:9

fovTop=0.666666666;

fovLeft=1;

for 3x 16:10

fovTop=0.8;

fovLeft=4;

for these who want HUD centering change tripleHead=0; to

tripleHead=1;

Excellent service, Dwarden! And that would provide more screen information, not just stretching what we already see in 16:9 ?

-OP

Yes, I ask same to Old_Painless.

I just thinking purchase a monitor 21:9 in June (My happy birthday :) )

Thanks Dwarden!

Excellent service, Dwarden! And that would provide more screen information, not just stretching what we already see in 16:9 ?

I've always wondered...

The default FoV is wide for "normal" monitors, in order to give us more peripheral vision.

Do the triple-head settings zoom us back in so that we're not getting peripheral vision on our peripheral vision? (now that the "peripheral vision" is being displayed on the left/right monitors)

I've always wondered...

The default FoV is wide for "normal" monitors, in order to give us more peripheral vision.

Do the triple-head settings zoom us back in so that we're not getting peripheral vision on our peripheral vision? (now that the "peripheral vision" is being displayed on the left/right monitors)

It's pretty safe to say it doesn't. If it did, you'd be losing enormous amounts of vertical peripheral vision as additional side monitors only add to your horizontal peripheral vision.

Now, if you had like 9 monitors in 3x3 configuration that would be a different thing. :)

It's pretty safe to say it doesn't. If it did, you'd be losing enormous amounts of vertical peripheral vision as additional side monitors only add to your horizontal peripheral vision.

Yeah, imagined so.

I guess thats where a lot of the stretching complaints come from then...

Now, if you had like 9 monitors in 3x3 configuration that would be a different thing. :)

One day :yay: tho pretty sure the other half would not approve...

that LG looks really nice!

Another thing I wondered: What aspect ratio is the artists using when drawing objects for the game? A 6 foot infantryman drawn in 16:9 would look unnaturally tall in 16:10 and fat in 21:9 as long as we only get the picture stretched.

I'm guessing they use 16:9 but it would be good to know if anyone has an idea?

Another thing I wondered: What aspect ratio is the artists using when drawing objects for the game? A 6 foot infantryman drawn in 16:9 would look unnaturally tall in 16:10 and fat in 21:9 as long as we only get the picture stretched.

That does not work like that with 3D. As long as you are running native display resolution - the 3D scene should not be stretched. The only issue might be with the 2D UI, but you have video option settings to set the correct aspect ratio (not sure if 21:9 is supported tho).

in arma3alpha profile file , try use following values:

for 21:9

fovTop=0.94;

fovLeft=2.1900001;

I'm still struggling to getting it to look right, with the settings above i get a "fisheye/zooming" effect on the sides when turning, especially the skies looks weird :S

It's not ruining my experience it still awesome, just wondering if ArmA can handle that kinda fov.

then decrease the value of fovleft and fovtop ... how simple

I'm still struggling to getting it to look right, with the settings above i get a "fisheye/zooming" effect on the sides when turning, especially the skies looks weird :S

It's not ruining my experience it still awesome, just wondering if ArmA can handle that kinda fov.

Could try around: fov top = 1.357

not sure, may make it look worse, but worth a try..:)

then decrease the value of fovleft and fovtop ... how simple

Ohh thanks :bounce3:

I have tried god knows how many settings, also tried this calculator which seems to generate same values as you posted.

Could try around: fov top = 1.357

not sure, may make it look worse, but worth a try..:)

Seems quite high, but of course it never hurt to try so i will do so :)

Thanks Dwarden!!

Hopefully a preset will make it into the beta and/or final release. But this small edit does the trick!